Sandman has a new Sov. GT coming again. Early Christmas present to me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I have two Excals but no Sov. GT so I ordered one. I had one years ago and sold it for some reason which I can't remember now. The WOT coil has to wait for spring.

Sovereign GT

Congrats! You just moved up ;D

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Sovereign GT about 2 weeks ago. I'm having a tough time getting the hang of it for now. I've heard its a deep machine, but I've yet to find anything deep. I chose the GT over a White's MXT. I think I just need practice.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You will love that .....Sovereign GT..............................==Jim==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
pjroo33 said:
I just got the Sovereign GT about 2 weeks ago. I'm having a tough time getting the hang of it for now. I've heard its a deep machine, but I've yet to find anything deep. I chose the GT over a White's MXT. I think I just need practice.
... Hang in there once you get the hang of the ...Sovereign GT.... you will not want any other detector.I put a quarter in the ground 10 inches 2 years ago my Garrett 1500 just gives a faint sound on it with the 12.5'' coil My friends whites XLT gives a fainter sound...........But the ...Sovereign... sounds off loud and clear............==Jim==

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pjroo33 said:

I also had a slow start with the GT and am still getting to know it. I took it out for my first time to the beach where it operated great in the sand. Then I tried inland. The first spot I tried was full of trash, not a good place to start with a new GT because of the bombardment of diff sounds, a bit confusing. The last place I searched is an old well site near a school that was built in 1910 or so and is abandoned. I found a few pennies and my first wheatie with the GT. Then I went to the old well site about 100 yards from the school. It was much less trashy and I started to find wheaties the first day, 45 min of hunting. Then I went back for about an hour to the same spot, knowing there must be some silver. Wham, I found a 45 quarter, then a 51 dime and some more wheaties. Now it is stuck in my mind just what type of signals I should be listening for and focusing on and the sounds are not so much of a mystery to me. I have also read the instruction manual several times and read tons of posts on this site. The Sovereign forum on www.findmall.com is a good place to check out too. Anyway, hang in there and try to go to some less trashy areas at first and listen for those smooth, consistent sounds from 2 directions. The broken, multi-tone, blaring low sounds are trash. I am a veteran of only 15 times out with the GT, so I am still learning, but getting more confident each time. Take care, Bryan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The sandman has more experience than any of us so he'll do great with the GT.

The GT is something like the Tejon. The Tejon gets decent depth when it's run in maximum sensitivity. In other words, you get the great depth when you run it set way too sensitive and running rather erratic (background noises). Then you listen for those obvious repeatable solid signals that don't change location on you during pinpointing.

Now, to get great depth with the GT you don't need to overload it. You don't need to hear all the noises you heard with the Tejon. Just run the GT on the AUTO settings with minimum discrimination and a slight threshold sound. Now do like you would with the Tejon. Listen for those obvious repeatable solid signals that don't change location on you during pinpointing.

You will hear false "signal like" tones but ignore them. These sounds are made as the detector is working to analyze potential targets and work with ground mineralization. These false signals can be exposed by changing the direction of the coil sweep. Good targets will sound from at least 2 intersecting directions. This focus or intersecting spot will not move on you. If it does move it's trash.

People get discouraged with the Tejon, Nautilus, GT, etc., mainly because they're listening for (and digging) every little chirp and crackle. Forget them! Move along at a good speed until you get a chirp out of the machine and then slow way down and check the target from several directions. If it's worth digging it will always be solid, unmoving, and have a nice sound to it.

HINT: If you can't easily pinpoint a target with the stock coil, that target is trash.

After you learn to pinpoint with the DD coil and learn the various tones it's a piece of cake.

Badger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Sov Sandman. I know it will be a piece of cake for you, having own one before and having the Excal. To me the only diference is the tones seem to sound a litle richer on the Sov.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Sandman,

Congrats on the new machine. So....does that mean you are going to give me one of your other detectors....LOL ;D ;D ;D

BTW...am still loving my Excalibur! Ok...AND still loving my DFX.

HH,
Mel

borninok

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Sandman,

Good for you. Nothing like the anticipation of getting a new detector and making friends with it! Joe

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Welcome back to the dry side Sandman. Well you still might get your feet wet a tad. Since you were one of the guys who helped me choose a ML sov when I was making a upgrade I will spare you any rambling advice other than this machine will hit on vary small targets vary deep on the beach some of which will go right through the scoop. All the items below were six inches or better (small silver chain, gold charm, worthless trinket) and came close to being written off as small pieces of foil and would still be on the beach had I not got down on hands and knees to sift through the sand after they had escaped my scoop. Try that in the waist deep water ;D

And talk about "new detector luck" I had scored my first jewelry finds in just a few hours after starting to use my sov. Compare that to the 100+ hours with my entry level machine with just one tarnished silver ring to show for it and you can imagine how stupid I felt not having bought a appropriate beach machine to begin with. In fact I don't think I have gone more than a few hunts in a row now without finding some sort of jewelry. The GT seems to treat us beach guys pretty good. Considering all the compatition I have there is not much doubt all the items below had a coil swung over them prior to mine. They just were not useing a Sov.

Attachments

• GP.jpg
    GP.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 490

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
im on my 2nd GT and love it on the beach!..i had a WOT 15" coil before but now have the S12 and love it! it is much lighter and just as deep..it is no problem to hit dimes 15" in sand.i think its the best beach detector on the market. good luck Sandman,you will love it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the detector harness on all my units. I even bought a back-up incase I misplace mine and don't know it till Im at beach hunting. It happend, I went to Daytona one night and :o no harness :'( . I thought "how much can it matter on one hunt." It MATTERS.

After about 2 hours of hunting, I took a break and I was walking around town looking for a bungi cord I could jury rig till I got a new one. Ever since then I carry two. I had a hunting buddy buy my spare one night, I went back to KellyCo and bought another the next day. If you haven't tried them you should give them a try.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Treasure_Hunter said:
I use the detector harness on all my units. I even bought a back-up incase I misplace mine and don't know it till Im at beach hunting. It happend, I went to Daytona one night and :o no harness :'( . I thought "how much can it matter on one hunt." It MATTERS.

After about 2 hours of hunting, I took a break and I was walking around town looking for a bungi cord I could jury rig till I got a new one. Ever since then I carry two. I had a hunting buddy buy my spare one night, I went back to KellyCo and bought another the next day. If you haven't tried them you should give them a try.
yeh iv got one of Doc's Swingy Thingy's and it works very well! once you get the ballance right it has almost 0 in weight.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pjroo33 said:

I too chose the Sovereign GT over the MXT. I have had my GT for about a month and a half and am much more confident with it now. It is extremely sensitive, and initially the multitude of sounds confused me. I finally have learned to focus on only the smooth signals from both directions. anything that wavers or gives a funky sound or is inconsistent, I have found to be junk. Must be a smooth, consistant sound from 2 directions. Stick with it, it does take some practice. Also, I have used a Spectrum for 12 yrs, and it takes alot of getting use to not using a meter as a crutch. Bryan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comisoas said:
I too chose the Sovereign GT over the MXT. I have had my GT for about a month and a half and am much more confident with it now. It is extremely sensitive, and initially the multitude of sounds confused me. I finally have learned to focus on only the smooth signals from both directions. anything that wavers or gives a funky sound or is inconsistent, I have found to be junk. Must be a smooth, consistant sound from 2 directions. Stick with it, it does take some practice. Also, I have used a Spectrum for 12 yrs, and it takes a lot of getting use to not using a meter as a crutch. Bryan

comisoas, your have learned the secret. If you get a good solid signal from 2 directions, N-S and E-W you have a good target, with practice you will learn the different sounds the metals make. Down here it is a big advantage at the beaches, as it allows you to enjoy the eye candy as you hunt, you do not have to watch a meter, just listen to the threshold and the sounds.

Have you tried the silent search search yet? I have been practicing with the Sen set to auto, and the silent search on and found I enjoy it. I tested Sov with using the silent search off, hunt till I found a target, then backed up about 10 feet, turned it on and moved forward again to see if it still found the same target. So far it has every time.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure-Hunter, I am having a ball relearning this GT. I think the richer tones we get is beacuse of the land head phones. I have to admit that I was a little ticked at Minelab for not selling the meter direct to customer. It's been on back order now for two weeks and nobody else I contacted had one in stock.

I've been playing with the different All metal settings and notch. I don't think I will ever use that knob.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your enjoying it SM. Your rightm it could easily be the headsets is the reason for the righer tones.

I don't use the notch, I just don't see a reason or situtation where I would use it.

I have also played with the all metal and even the auto tracking, but since most of my hunting with it is at the salt water beach I haven't really use it.

Good luck and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread