Deer Proof Fence

Royal

May 19, 2011
This is my answer to the deer problem. I can not swear it will work for everyone but it works for me. I live right in the woods and see deer in the back EVERY DAY. I have not lost a Hosta in three years. The deer will look at the wire and sniff it and bang! They back off. I didn't have to but some take pieces of tin foil and hang it on the wire. They put peanut butter in the foil and that will train them they say. Like I said, I never had to.

I don't put wire across the walkways but the deer have never gone in. In two of the pictures you can see where there is no wire but not a problem. The charger I have will do 25 miles of wire at over 8000 volts :D

Attachments

• 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 580
  • 100_0004.JPG
    100_0004.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 608
  • 100_0007.JPG
    100_0007.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 100_0008.JPG
    100_0008.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 100_0009.JPG
    100_0009.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 541
  • 100_0010.JPG
    100_0010.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 100_0011.JPG
    100_0011.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 511
  • 100_0012.JPG
    100_0012.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_0013.JPG
    100_0013.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 538
  • 100_0014.JPG
    100_0014.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 580

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a real nice set-up! Gotta love them electric fences, kinda.........
My dads' favorite trick, was to be bending down next to it, grounded, when one of us kids would walk by, or he'd call one of us over, he'd grab your arm or wrists and not let go of you.
Yeah, fun times on the farm...........

My cat only touched it once with her nose, did a perfect backflip, from a standstill. Pie-Yow!
I learned something at 5, with a pail of water and an electric "bell"! ;D

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I used to have groundhog problems. Did the same thing, only lowered the fence to about 8 inches. I live inside the city limits, and shooting is out of the question. rockhound

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice house and yard you have there. All it needs now is a mid-sixtie's muscle car. Preferably a Pontiac GTO. :laughing7:

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
rockhound said:
I used to have groundhog problems. Did the same thing, only lowered the fence to about 8 inches. I live inside the city limits, and shooting is out of the question. rockhound

I used to have a low wire but never had much problem with rabbits, I saw one out there last night, but the turkey walk right under the fence and don't get a shock. Those feathers must be great insulation. I like them to eat the slugs anyway

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
fyrffytr1 said:
Nice house and yard you have there. All it needs now is a mid-sixtie's muscle car. Preferably a Pontiac GTO. :laughing7:

Hahahah Thanks. My brother had a 66 Goat convertable. Four on the floor and tripower. That thing was so fast it was scary..

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Thanks for posting pics of ur fence and control box etc. will have to look into setting on up like that ,

Nice place u got there and good luck with the critters .

Karl

M

MiniMe

That's an excellent set up, and looks so much nicer than the plastic, chicken wire or horse fencing. I'll have to show this to my husband and check into the cost of trying to do that to our garden. It's not going to be long before the deer start chomping away. Nice yard and home. Thanks for sharing :)

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
MiniMe said:
That's an excellent set up, and looks so much nicer than the plastic, chicken wire or horse fencing. I'll have to show this to my husband and check into the cost of trying to do that to our garden. It's not going to be long before the deer start chomping away. Nice yard and home. Thanks for sharing :)

The posts are just 8 ft posts I got on sale at Home Depot. I cut them in half and then drilled a hole through the top to press in a short length of 1/2 in PCV pipe for insulators. I bought high voltage-for electric fence- underground cable to connect my flower beds. The charger was around 120 bucks at Tractor Supply. That was last year but with the inflation now days it is probably 2-3 thousand dollars now. I am just being a smartazz with that comment.

Wire is not expensive and one roll with do one heck of a lot of yard

M

MiniMe

Royal said:
That was last year but with the inflation now days it is probably 2-3 thousand dollars now. I am just being a smartazz with that comment.

Wire is not expensive and one roll with do one heck of a lot of yard

Yeah and the wire is probably only a grand now a days :laughing7: :laughing7: the way things are going.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
CROSSBOW * DEER EAT YOUR CROPS -- ONLY FAIR YOU EAT EM IN RETURN

M

MiniMe

ivan salis said:
CROSSBOW * DEER EAT YOUR CROPS -- ONLY FAIR YOU EAT EM IN RETURN

:icon_thumleft: I'd have no problem with that Ivan believe me....would love to stock the freezer. I'm just missing one important thing....a Crossbow :( I used to have my own bow years ago, but I can't pull a bow back anymore. :( One of these days.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
thats why I have a "DISABILITY" PERMIT AND C5 wildcat 175 lb draw weight bow with A CRANK HANDLE *--SO I CAN USE MINE during regular bow season -- at 40 to 50 yards with my scope --bye bye deer.

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
wildman4910 said:
Cool looking place. It only takes one zap for them to respect the wire! :laughing7:

Thats for sure. We were setting on the deck and a fawn walked up and sniffed the fence. My wife asked what he was gonna do and I told her, "He is going to learn to respect that wire" Sure enough, we heard the small crack and that little guy jumped straight up and ran to mama and started nursing. They just do not fool with the wire

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
deer are not stupid --when something hurts them they avoid it * --some human beings it seems are often not smart enough to learn that message -- (some folks remarry their ex's )

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
ivan salis said:
deer are not stupid --when something hurts them they avoid it * --some human beings it seems are often not smart enough to learn that message -- (some folks remarry their ex's )

Yeah, for proof, go to Youtube and search stupid. Lots of those people are busy trying to get their money back from that old man and his church that predicted the end of the world. World is full of people dumber than a deer :D :tongue3:

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you were getting a new vehicle, but man thats a nice one , in my favorite color no less.
JW

OP
OP
R

Royal

May 19, 2011
Jdubya said:
I knew you were getting a new vehicle, but man thats a nice one , in my favorite color no less.
JW

Thanks JW. I like it. AWD and all the electronics I could get. Love the tech :D Fred told me about this site. Didn't know you posted here too. Good to see friends

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread