Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our weather has cooled down a bit the last couple days. The wind picked up yesterday, maybe ahead of the hurricane moving up the east coast. There was quite a bit of fog today. It gave me a different perspective of old sights.
An island point.
K1600_IMG_5312.JPG

The first fishing creature of the day.
K1600_IMG_5339.JPG

It was soon joined by another.
K1600_IMG_5350.JPG

They were scared away by these two floating down the river. You can see the kingfisher flying away on the left side near the man's head.
K1600_IMG_5351.JPG

As we were walking back to the vehicle, I saw a hawk make a dive from about 150 ft straight down into the river. He missed his target, but it made quite a sight to see.

IMG_5391.jpg IMG_5398.jpg IMG_5399.jpg IMG_5400.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice effects from the fog.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, would love to have seen that hawk dive in the water! :thumbsup:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know! ODP looking again at your hawk picture, I'm now thinking what you've witnessed is an Osprey ? You wondered about if they could be found in your area in my Osprey nest post and I believe that bird you capture here could very well be an Osprey?. They hit the water fishing just like you described. I took an other picture of an Osprey sitting on a little island I posted earlier and it later took flight and dove in the lake after something and I tried to get a picture of it maybe diving again, but it only circled the same area it dove into and then flew off. I did get one picture of it in the air, but it wasn't all that good.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be. I am not the best at identifying birds. It kept circling too and made another dive but I didn't get another pic that time.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do feel pretty sure it is an Osprey based on some characteristics I'm seeing on the bird in your picture. I'm not 100% on it, but maybe others here can enlighten us on what they make of your dive bombing in the water bird.

Attachments

• osprey web pic.jpg
    osprey web pic.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I do feel pretty sure it is an Osprey based on some characteristics I'm seeing on the bird in your picture. I'm not 100% on it, but maybe others here can enlighten us on what they make of your dive bombing in the water bird.

I have to agree Grant.I fudged O.D.'s a bit.

IMG_5391.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're on a roll here... I see Otter you see Otter. I see Osprey you see Osprey. It should frequent that area, so maybe you'll see it again?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Who's turn is it to see the Pink Elephant first? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're on a roll here... I see Otter you see Otter. I see Osprey you see Osprey. It should frequent that area, so maybe you'll see it again?

I hope you see a gold nugget next:occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...But if EITHER of you sees a little naked gnome going around doing bad things to people in the dark of night, I DON'T WANNA HEAR ABOUT IT!! :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...But if EITHER of you sees a little naked gnome going around doing bad things to people in the dark of night, I DON'T WANNA HEAR ABOUT IT!! :laughing7:
One night I went west over Cottonwood pass and coming down the west side just as I got into the timbers I was going around a sharp hairpin curve this black rabbit was running in front of me in the middle of the road. It was in my headlights and it was black and not the effects of the dim light. I'm sure it was a snowshoe hare as it was the size of one and maybe a little bigger then the others snowshoes I've seen. They change color from grey to white in the winter. I went and looked online on snowshoe hare's and found many photos of what they look like throughout seasons and none I found were ever black like this one. It was rather pokey and slow moving for a hare. I should have followed it to it's hole. Maybe it would have taken me to a place like in Alice in Wonderland or a hidden treasure?. Defiantly a strange encounter this big bunny was that night up high in the mountains.

Attachments

• cotton wood night 2.jpg
    cotton wood night 2.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 38

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting