• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,389
Upvote 1

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Neanderthal said:
In my opinion, anyone who says they will never, ever, part with any of their personal finds has not found many, or has their priorities wrong. It took me many years to learn that the hard way. Regardless of what many may think....there are more important things in life.

Depending on what you regard as being the more important things in life, I would like to take exception to your statement: "In my opinion, anyone who says they will never, ever, part with any of their personal finds has not found many, or has their priorities wrong."

I have spent my lifetime searching for Indian artifacts and have found my share of them. I have never sold one personal find and the only thing which will change that is advancing age and it becomes time to disperse the collection, assuming I am still able to do so.
Having said that, I must admit I have never been in a financial bind whereas I could not pay medical bills or living expenses and properly take care of my family. I am fully aware that catastrophic circumstances would make a big difference.

So often I see collectors selling their finest pieces (the heart of their collection) because they wanted a new gun, a metal detector or some other toy. Some need money for the kid’s education, vehicle repairs, etc. and they sell their best artifacts because there is a ready market for them. As thirty7 said "to each their own". However, in some cases I have to wonder if perhaps some of these folks would work a little more and maybe hunt a little less they would then be able to keep more of the artifacts they do find.??

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
well said 11kbp, agree with you 100%. I recently acquired the bulk of a personal find collection from a guy who was set on a german luger, antique pistol. The whole time I was inspecting the collection I couldn't believe he was willing to make the sacrifice after walking hundreds of miles and countless hours collecting them. Health and family I can understand but a pistol? I almost felt bad walking out the door, and he was actually a little tearful seeing them go. I told him not to worry, because they're in a good home now.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
11KBP said:
Neanderthal said:
In my opinion, anyone who says they will never, ever, part with any of their personal finds has not found many, or has their priorities wrong. It took me many years to learn that the hard way. Regardless of what many may think....there are more important things in life.

Depending on what you regard as being the more important things in life, I would like to take exception to your statement: "In my opinion, anyone who says they will never, ever, part with any of their personal finds has not found many, or has their priorities wrong."

I have spent my lifetime searching for Indian artifacts and have found my share of them. I have never sold one personal find and the only thing which will change that is advancing age and it becomes time to disperse the collection, assuming I am still able to do so.
Having said that, I must admit I have never been in a financial bind whereas I could not pay medical bills or living expenses and properly take care of my family. I am fully aware that catastrophic circumstances would make a big difference.

So often I see collectors selling their finest pieces (the heart of their collection) because they wanted a new gun, a metal detector or some other toy. Some need money for the kid’s education, vehicle repairs, etc. and they sell their best artifacts because there is a ready market for them. As thirty7 said "to each their own". However, in some cases I have to wonder if perhaps some of these folks would work a little more and maybe hunt a little less they would then be able to keep more of the artifacts they do find.??

11kbp, we agree pretty much. I'm talking about people who state exactly that " I will NEVER sell my artifacts, no matter what, they will go with me to my grave". That tells me their priorities are far different than mine. My family comes first, over my artifacts..no matter what. My health comes over my artifacts, I would like to live longer and continue to learn and share. It took me losing my favorite artifacts on 3 different occasions (2 robberies and a wreck) to see that there are many more important things in life. I differ from most collectors though, in that I don't see artifacts as dollar signs. They aren't a monetary entity or simply a sign of wealth to me. Notice how often the money issue comes up (even in this thread). I have noticed that most collectors (whether they admit it or not) consider artifacts a status symbol. How many times do you hear "so and so has such and incredible collection, you should see it! They have the best, and they're worth a fortune!". Or "God, that must have cost a fortune!". People tend to idolize these artifacts, even more-so than the people that created them. That's silly to me, but you are right - to each their own. I look at artifacts a completely different way than most people do. I see them as information to the past, an educational tool for learning. I study hard and keep points at my fingertips here at all times (you should see my desk), in fact..in every room of my house. When I have gleaned all that I can from them, then I have no problems at all with passing them on to somebody else who can benefit from it as I have. This is much better in my eyes than letting it lay in a drawer or even in a frame, collecting dust and doing no good to anyone. I admit, I'm different than most other "collectors" out there, I do it for a completely different reason. There are alot of wallet collectors out there with incredible displays of relics......but what good does that do? What exactly do they truely know about these relics they are so proud of?

For me, everything revolves around the education. This is bound to piss people off also, but I simply can't understand the concept of collectors who won't have anything out of their immediate area in their collection. You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure many of you are like that. Collecting ONLY relics from their immediate area. They won't touch anything that isn't from their region or state. I'm not saying they don't have a right to do that, I just can't share the sentiments. Don't people realize that you can find out so much more about the relics and people that were in your immediate area, by studying others, from all over? A "Texas" collector that will only collect TX points? I guess people think that the natives used the same states and boundaries that we do. You can study morphology of points, diffusion, you can see where the people in your area come from, where these styles derived..etc. I love artifacts from all over the U.S. for this reason. I drink it all in like water!

Like I said, I'm different. What kind of collectors are you all? What exactly are your priorities in life? My artifacts are open books for learning, they aren't icons. I don't carry my artifacts in my pocketbook, but I will be more than happy to share with you what I have learned about them....freely.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Neanderthal said:
How many times do you hear "so and so has such and incredible collection, you should see it! They have the best, and they're worth a fortune!". Or "God, that must have cost a fortune!". People tend to idolize these artifacts, even more-so than the people that created them. That's silly to me, but you are right - to each their own. There are alot of wallet collectors out there with incredible displays of relics......but what good does that do? What exactly do they truely know about these relics they are so proud of?

For me, everything revolves around the education. This is bound to piss people off also, but I also can't understand the concept of collectors who won't have anything out of their immediate area in their collection. You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure many of you are like that. Collecting ONLY relics from their immediate area. They won't touch anything that isn't from their region or state. Don't people realize that you can find out so much more about the relics and people that were in your immediate area, by studying others, from all over? A "Texas" collector that will only collect TX points? I guess people think that the natives used the same states and boundaries that we do. You can study morphology of points, diffusion, you can see where the people in your area come from, where these styles derived..etc. I love artifacts from all over the U.S. for this reason. I drink it all in like water!

Like I said, I'm different. What kind of collectors are you all? What exactly are your priorities in life? My artifacts are open books for learning, they aren't icons. I don't carry my artifacts in my pocketbook, but I will be more than happy to share with you what I have learned about them....freely.

Deleted at the request of Get-the-point

Get-the-point said:
Not long winded TnMountains. I appreciate your post. You became a student when you chose to aquire outside your region and studied the Aztec Indian. To me that is worldy as you are in a search to learn more of a different culture. I believe this post unintentionally opened up a debate. Which now I would like to have ended and get back to the topic at hand and one that I'm interested in seeing the results to.

Get-the-point said:
All those who commented on the debate please delete so we have nothing but pictures and compliments on this post. I thank all my fellow collectors for submitting and honoring this post............

Sorry about your original post getting off track Get-to-point. However if you think you are going to be a student of archaeology, worldly or otherwise you had better get used to debates. 11KBP

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not long winded TnMountains. I appreciate your post. You became a student when you chose to aquire outside your region and studied the Aztec Indian. To me that is worldy as you are in a search to learn more of a different culture. I believe this post unintentionally opened up a debate. Which now I would like to have ended and get back to the topic at hand and one that I'm interested in seeing the results to.

I'll open up the debate in another topic. Please all no more debate on this. Just Show OFF YOUR PALEO'S!!!!!!!!!!nothin but pictures and compliments please!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those who commented on the debate please delete so we have nothing but pictures and compliments on this post. I thank all my fellow collectors for submitting and honoring this post............

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamey said:
here is one i found just awhile back.still remember the outline of it as i was walking towards it.i knew it was going to be a good one.people tell me it is a hazel clovis jamey

I remember the day you posted that Jamey. Its beautiful !!

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your original post getting off track Get-to-point. However if you think you are going to be a student of archaeology, worldly or otherwise you had better get used to debates. 11KBP

Just not here in this topic it was not meant for that....................GTP

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the only points I have that might be Clovis. We don't find a lot of Paleo in my area. It is found on occasion, but not often.

Pics-036.jpg

Pics-038.jpg

Pics-041.jpg

Pics-042.jpg

Pics-045.jpg

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all beauties keep'em coming folks. That folsom is awesome, too bad it lost it's tang but it still is awesome. I would have it restored. It is worthy of that.......

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
So, here I go and here it is.  :D
Found in the spring of last year...

Attachments

• Clovis.jpg
    Clovis.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 867
  • Clovis.jpg
    Clovis.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 786
  • Clovis2.jpg
    Clovis2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 807
  • LS clovis island 5-1-08.jpg
    LS clovis island 5-1-08.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,557
them all are beautiful, hopefully one day i will be able to post a Clovis up on here. to rockmano that one blows my mind never saw something so beautiful well, maybe a few things, but not an arrow head though. did you find that one in Missouri?

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are freakin awesome guys. Rockman, I have seen some real pretty material, but that Clovis of yours is absolutely beautiful. I love the banding in that material. It looks heat treated by the red on the auricles. One hell of a stunning piece. G-10+ all the way!!!!!!!!

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
central MO rock stars said:
them all are beautiful, hopefully one day i will be able to post a Clovis up on here. to rockmano that one blows my mind never saw something so beautiful well, maybe a few things, but not an arrow head though. did you find that one in Missouri?

Thanks,
yes I found this one in Greene County Missouri. Definitely my best day for artifact hunting.

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
Get-the-point said:
Those are freakin awesome guys. Rockman, I have seen some real pretty material, but that Clovis of yours is absolutely beautiful. I love the banding in that material. It looks heat treated by the red on the auricles. One hell of a stunning piece. G-10+ all the way!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
The material is Banded Jeff City chert, the red auricles are part of the cortex.

A

archaeon

Get-the-point said:

i agree, he wins the beauty contest! :thumbsup: :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread