Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frame #4 of Grandpa's Collection

I finally have the rest of my Grandpa's collection of artifacts to photograph and show you all. This frame has a "gorget"(is that what you call the pendant thing with the drilled holes?) and it measures 3 1/2" x 1 3/4". There is also a huge "Calf Creek(?) that measures 4" in a white material/lithics. I think this point came from Missouri.
By the gorget is a metal tinkler(?) that is 3" long. What is the age on something like this?
There is a black rounded stone below the tinkler--is this some kind of rubbing stone? Its small and measures 2 3/4"x 1 1/2".
I need lots of help with the types and lithics on these!! I made an outline drawing with numbers to help identify each piece(some of them didn't show up, but most of the bigger pieces did).
Thanks for looking and I've got five more frames to go after this one :help: and any opinions or input will be appreciated!! Kind Regards, sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1060572 (3).JPG
    P1060572 (3).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 249
  • arrowhead outline1.jpg
    arrowhead outline1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 253
  • P1060565.JPG
    P1060565.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 260
  • P1060566.JPG
    P1060566.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 254
  • P1060567.JPG
    P1060567.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 252
  • P1060568.JPG
    P1060568.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 257
  • P1060569.JPG
    P1060569.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 251
  • P1060570.JPG
    P1060570.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Frame #4 of Grandpa's Collection

looks like he had a wonderfull lifetime of collecting,thanks for the posts as i do not know them well enough to type but i know ive seen some of that flint round here jamey

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandcreek, another killer tray of your grandfathers artifacts. The stone below the Gorget my be a Loaf Stone and I think point #62 is actually a Smith Point, not a Calf Creek. Wait for Neanderthal to see this and he will do a better job IDing them than I can.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamey said:
looks like he had a wonderfull lifetime of collecting,thanks for the posts as i do not know them well enough to type but i know ive seen some of that flint round here jamey
Thanks jamey--He didn't miss much when he was in the field looking. I remember his saying it was sure hard to arrowhead hunt and squirrel hunt at the same time, though :D. I wish I'd had more interest in this when he was still alive and had written down some of the stories he told about these finds! kind regards~~sandcreek4
DorkFish said:
sandcreek, another killer tray of your grandfathers artifacts. The stone below the Gorget my be a Loaf Stone and I think point #62 is actually a Smith Point, not a Calf Creek. Wait for Neanderthal to see this and he will do a better job IDing them than I can.
Thanks DorkFish---I'll research "Smith Points"! What were "Loaf Stones" used for? kind regards, sandcreek4
greg-rocks said:
really nice diversity in materials and types.your grandpa knew how to find them.thanks for sharing.
Thanks greg-rocks! In hunting three different states(Ok, Ks, Missouri), he did have a lot of different types and materials. Glad you're enjoying them with me! :thumbsup: regards, sandcreek4

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

This may turn into a long post (I have to quit doing this). I really don't think that long earred piece is from Missouri, but it could be. Here's what I'm going by. The vast majority of those points were found on the Ark river, or direct tributaries to it. Here's how I know. First, the material is indigenous to that area (Florence, Foreacre, etc). Second is the polish. Points that have been in rolling water for any extended period of time develop a Hydrofluvial Polish. The Ark. River polish is different than most. In fact, it's SO different, that collectors who aren't familiar with it will often assume they are fakes, or have been shellacked. Even though creek cobble will get a heavy wear and polish, they often will get a tannin staining also and look completely different. Ark. river points usually won't be high in tannin content, but will have the chlorophyll yellowish green tint from the summer vegetation (algae/moss). Like to your large point, the original color of that chert is most likely much whiter but it attained that tan/yellow hue from the water. The Kansas River in Missouri and a few others often get the high polish, but it's usually different (depending on location). Looking at the material used, types, and wear...I really think that most of those points in that frame are from Southern Kansas or Northern Oklahoma - including the large one.

For the record, here's a tibdit of information for those into microscopy. Many people will get fooled by "river polished" fakes, but there is a way to differentiate them from the real deal. The hardest to distinguish "fakes" that I have ever seen, were some coated pieces that were turning up around the Ozarks for years. Authentic river polished points will have discernible facets in the polish and pitting, much different than artificially polished or coated pieces. Get a few pieces and familiarize yourselves with them if you ever get the chance.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure what that large one is. Without holding it in hand, there's simply too many variables on that piece to call. It could be Smith, Barry, Haskell or even related to Calf Creek. Sorry I'm not more definitive. Many of them in that frame aren't a distinctive type (this is common), and some are preforms. Here's some of the easier ones real quick - sorry, running out of time, will have to go quick on some and they won't be in order.

1. Grand
21. McKean complex, looks Duncan
68. Gorget
69. Kay Blade
61,51,50, 53, 61 - Garys
17, - Waubesa
52, - Table Rock Pointed stem
54 - Afton
29 - cooper
35,31 - Dickson
11 - hanna or Cossatot river

Gotta run for a bit!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neanderthal said:
This may turn into a long post (I have to quit doing this). I really don't think that long earred piece is from Missouri, but it could be. Here's what I'm going by. The vast majority of those points were found on the Ark river, or direct tributaries to it. Here's how I know. First, the material is indigenous to that area (Florence, Foreacre, etc). Second is the polish. Points that have been in rolling water for any extended period of time develop a Hydrofluvial Polish. The Ark. River polish is different than most. In fact, it's SO different, that collectors who aren't familiar with it will often assume they are fakes, or have been shellacked. Even though creek cobble will get a heavy wear and polish, they often will get a tannin staining also and look completely different. Ark. river points usually won't be high in tannin content, but will have the chlorophyll yellowish green tint from the summer vegetation (algae/moss). Like to your large point, the original color of that chert is most likely much whiter but it attained that tan/yellow hue from the water. The Kansas River in Missouri and a few others often get the high polish, but it's usually different (depending on location). Looking at the material used, types, and wear...I really think that most of those points in that frame are from Southern Kansas or Northern Oklahoma - including the large one.

For the record, here's a tibdit of information for those into microscopy. Many people will get fooled by "river polished" fakes, but there is a way to differentiate them from the real deal. The hardest to distinguish "fakes" that I have ever seen, were some coated pieces that were turning up around the Ozarks for years. Authentic river polished points will have discernible facets in the polish and pitting, much different than artificially polished or coated pieces. Get a few pieces and familiarize yourselves with them if you ever get the chance.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure what that large one is. Without holding it in hand, there's simply too many variables on that piece to call. It could be Smith, Barry, Haskell or even related to Calf Creek. Sorry I'm not more definitive. Many of them in that frame aren't a distinctive type (this is common), and some are preforms. Here's some of the easier ones real quick - sorry, running out of time, will have to go quick on some and they won't be in order.

1. Grand
21. McKean complex, looks Duncan
68. Gorget
69. Kay Blade
61,51,50, 53, 61 - Garys
17, - Waubesa
52, - Table Rock Pointed stem
54 - Afton
29 - cooper
35,31 - Dickson
11 - hanna or Cossatot river

Gotta run for a bit!
Thanks Matt--mom and I were just guessing on that big point because she wasn't with grandpa when he found it. She told me most of the "white stuff" came from Missouri.
You have an amazing amount of knowledge on this stuff--especially without seeing them in person :thumbsup:, and I know my pictures aren't the best for color clarity. Really APPRECIATE your help on these!!! kind regards, sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread