My best game piece yet! I need to be thankful for the rain!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 3,830
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,733
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,702
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,651
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,669
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,683
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
how comes Alot of people posting an Item assumes everyone in the world knows exactly what they have found... to me it looks like a dirty rock/bones with some type of scratching on it... Please be more descriptive then this need no explanation.. Don't know why this would be on the banner

seemed to make the banner in 5 posts & no votes :icon_scratch: (less than 300 views)& no explaination as to age or anything other than a gaming piece, so I guess Victorian :o

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
It's a little older than that...It is a Woodland era piece....Mandan peoples make....I am gonna see about how old it could be......brb

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neogeo said:
It's a little older than that...It is a Woodland era piece....Mandan peoples make....I am gonna see about how old it could be......brb

I realise that, it was tongue in cheek. My point is, that the banner makes no sense sometimes, in terms of how it works.

I'm not belittling the find, which if I understood more (Explaination needed, ie never assume), I might learn & vote & appreciate.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Har sorry I sometimes skip over the obvious..lol...I can't find the time window that woodland falls into.(But I am sure somebody will know)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
CRUSADER said:
Neogeo said:

I realise that, it was tongue in cheek. My point is, that the banner makes no sense sometimes, in terms of how it works.

I'm not belittling the find, which if I understood more (Explaination needed, ie never assume), I might learn & vote & appreciate.

Yes, please explain to us Yanks here on the east coast what the significance is of the piece. I am curious what they were used for, and by whom.

Congrats on your banner. I am sure it is well deserved.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
CRUSADER said:
Neogeo said:

Yes, please explain to us Yanks here on the east coast what the significance is of the piece. I am curious what they were used for, and by whom.

Congrats on your banner. I am sure it is well deserved.

Exactly, I would love to understand the game & use etc :icon_thumright:

PS, I am in no way implying it doesn't deserve to be there, as I'm sure it will be explained soon. I know sometimes I fall into the trap of not giving all the details (always answer every question though), as I think its a fine balance of not giving all the details of every piece in my post as it would be too long to read & put people off. But if its just 1 item then the more the better :icon_thumright:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I believe:

1. They are ignoring those of us posting "what is this item"
2. They are just being smart alek and not answering the question asked by several.

I'm sure that whatever this item is it is cool because someone put it on the banner, but I have NO clue what it is supposed to be or actually is. :icon_scratch:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I still need to do some learnin as well here are some links.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/knri/teach/games.htm

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NA-Mandan.html

http://www.pbs.org/lewisandclark/native/man.html

I hope that will help some..I know it will for me..I am from M.D. and new to Texas and Artifactin...I knew nothing about "Those who came before us".Untill I started to look for artifacts....It kills me to think that I was deep into Clovis country back east....But I do pretty well where I am ....I really dont know much about the mid-west and such...So it is really nice to see such fine artifacts..Bone does not last long here,so I like to see and learn from them...sorry for the Rammblin...lol...Neo

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I am not tryin to be a smart Alic..I am truly trying to help....If you dno't know about artifacts..just ask and folks will try to help....

I don't metal detect....But they get all happy when finding metal stuff(buckles,buttons..etc)For me they are too new to get that happy about...But thats just me....Some of the stone artifacts are thousands of years old.

I am not trying to start anything...neo

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
creeper71 said:
how comes Alot of people posting an Item assumes everyone in the world knows exactly what they have found... to me it looks like a dirty rock/bones with some type of scratching on it... Please be more descriptive then this need no explanation.. Don't know why this would be on the banner

Well, if it's from the woodland period it's 1000-2000 years old. A human scratched those marks on there that long ago. It's in great shape and worth some bucks and deserves the banner.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Neogeo said:

It's a historic piece, the Mandan tribe lived well into the 19th century in parts of S.D. That's why the bone Larson finds is in the shape it's in, alot of it is much less than 200 years old. This doesn't take away from it being a great find, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a banner, jmo.

Hey neo are you now Lars official spokesman or something?

No offense to anyone but the whole banner finds system really tends to bring out the worst in folks, you know greed, lying, envy, and all that great stuff...jmho.

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
mastereagle22 said:
Looks to me like LOTS of bones in that first picture.... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

He's probably in an indian camp. There would be lots of bones there.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
way to go larson! :hello2: I love coming home and seeing an artifact banner! I knew it was yours, before I read about it. As said before, older than most metal treasures(here in America), a glimpse into a peoples' way of life that wasn't written down or documented. these dirty bones and rocks tell so much. And, a nice guy with a unique opportunity, willing to share what he learns. Banner! :headbang: What a great time to learn different types of treasures :wink:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Neogeo said:

It's a historic piece, the Mandan tribe lived well into the 19th century in parts of S.D. That's why the bone Larson finds is in the shape it's in, alot of it is much less than 200 years old. This doesn't take away from it being a great find, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a banner, jmo.

No offense to anyone but the whole banner finds system really tends to bring out the worst in folks, you know greed, lying, envy, and all that great stuff...jmho.

When a find is explained we all learn something: at least now I know this is a Mandan Indian game piece less than 200 hundred years old in nice shape. :icon_scratch: Banner :icon_scratch: Anyway nice find Larson sorry about your Tomatoes.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

Har... sure why not...he is a good guy,& I was just trying to be helpful..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread