My best game piece yet! I need to be thankful for the rain!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 3,830
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,733
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,702
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,651
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,669
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,683
Upvote 0

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
shorelinesearcher said:
It is only crude relative to the technology available to the culture. If it were made in Rome at its peak then it would certainly be crude. The technology available to the Roman Empire was a culmination of conquest of many cultures then adapted and refined over thousands of years. The people in the Americas did not have the same opportunities to develop tech as there was no injection of foreign ideas etc. There technology was handed down generation to generation and evolved much slower. So, age is not the determining factor, or shouldn't be in this case. jmho.

IMO technology is a series of trial and errors. You see a need for something and you sit down and think up a way to build something new or improve upon something existing. You don't need other cultures for this. The Romans while they did take some technology from other civilizations created much of it on their own just as the Egyptians did etc. While it helped them advance faster it by no means was their basis. Besides the Indians where not one people, they were many different tribes with many different cultures just as we where.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
come on guys, for 1-2k years old that's pretty crappy technology and workmanship considering when you compare it to what was going on in Rome and other regions of the world at that time.

Apples to oranges. The pre-Colombian Florida Indians did not even have flint. They made their points from bone, antler and sharks teeth. They used what was available to them with what technology they knew. And they did quite well. In the 1500's, the Indians salvaged gold and silver from Spanish shipwrecks which they learned to melt and rework. Im sure if metals were introduced to the Plains Indians, they would have been using it. It just didnt happen until a later date.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for all the interesting observations
no jeff i don't do any digging
thanks'
steve

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the --deleted-- a bunch of know-nothings have to argue when a KILLER Artifact makes the banner I will Never know. And if they can't argue the Monetary Value or Rarity of something, they want to try and call it crude, primitive, or unskilled in its workmanship. Those folks should try their hand at flint knapping and see how far they get. :wink: Seriously--the rudeness is TOTALLY uncalled-for! That is an Incredible relic, and quite worth of the banner. Considering the Quality and Quantity of BONE ARTIFACTS that larson has been finding, I am Very Surprised that he has not appeared on the banner before now.

Congratulations, Larson. This is well-deserved. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
Why the --deleted-- a bunch of know-nothings have to argue when a KILLER Artifact makes the banner I will Never know. And if they can't argue the Monetary Value or Rarity of something, they want to try and call it crude, primitive, or unskilled in its workmanship. Those folks should try their hand at flint knapping and see how far they get. :wink: Seriously--the rudeness is TOTALLY uncalled-for! That is an Incredible relic, and quite worth of the banner. Considering the Quality and Quantity of BONE ARTIFACTS that larson has been finding, I am Very Surprised that he has not appeared on the banner before now.

-Buckles

I agree 100% even with the one word deleted by T-Net...I'm very good at Mad Libs. This is well deserved and people should not be so I G N O R A N T. This is directed at the people that are attacking the find and Lars not the ones just asking for more information which is quite understandable.
NJ

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice find Larson,,,,,........................ :headbang: Congrats on a awesome piece!!!!.............................GTP :icon_thumright:

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Steve, You are da Man...... Super sweet. awesome... Congrats on another well deserved banner. John

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Great collection you have there, Larson -- you must be sitting on the Mandan Las Vegas. Enjoyed reading this entire post. Very cool artifact that I had no knowledge of. Congrats on the find and the banner!

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles

I think most people admit its an amazing find and rare one at that, but this has nothing to do with the crudity of the find. Some of the rarest finds for any era are the crude hand made items. But lets be serious here the craftsmanship in that region and era apparently was lacking, i thought the find was more like 15,000 years old. Its bone, not flint and my ancestors where also flint knapping 30,000 years ago just like the whole human species was at the time. But if it makes people feel better we can pretend these finds where done by superior craftsman. God forbid people give their true opinion on the craftsmanship of an item. It reminds me of modern day little league teams that don't keep score so kid's don't feel offended.

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
Jimmy(PA) said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles

I think most people admit its an amazing find and rare one at that, but this has nothing to do with the crudity of the find. Some of the rarest finds for any era are the crude hand made items. But lets be serious here the craftsmanship in that region and era apparently was lacking, i thought the find was more like 15,000 years old. Its bone, not flint and my ancestors where also flint knapping 30,000 years ago just like the whole human species was at the time. But if it makes people feel better we can pretend these finds where done by superior craftsman. God forbid people give their true opinion on the craftsmanship of an item. It reminds me of modern day little league teams that don't keep score so kid's don't feel offended.

Yes, lets be honest, it is a PRIMITIVE piece made by a PRIMITIVE culture, society, whatever. I just don't think that the craftsmanship should be in question here. If a person made this piece to the best of their ability with the tools, materials, and knowledge that was available to them, then it should be considered well crafted! Comparing this piece to work done by other cultures, societies just doesn't make sense to me. If another game piece made by this culture were presented as a find and compared to this game piece then you could determine better the CRAFTSMANSHIP of one to the other. Comparing the craftsmanship of this piece to the sculptors of ancient Greece is like comparing a stradivarius violin to an aboriginal didgeridoo, both well crafted, but one extremely more primitive, or crude, than the other.

mike

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Or you could look at it this way.....They make the same coin one after another or one button after another....But just one like that one, nomatter how old it is..good luck finding another.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles

So you're another one of the "panties in a bunch because a Native American Artifact made the banner" guys? Your buddy is over in the Personal Rants section right now. IMO, you should go have a pity party there, and keep it off the rest of the forum.

-Buck

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
TnMountains said:
SkyPirate said:
bigcypresshunter said:
SkyPirate said:
If it's going to be displayed in the banner then I wish you would answewr this question for the rest of us metal detectorists.......

WHAT IS IT ??
lol it should have come earlier but 3 posts above TnMountains explains it pretty well and also read NeoGeos links. Its a Plains Indian game piece.

Congrats to Larson.

OK got it.. I wish Larson would have put a better description in after it made banner. I know nothing about indian stuff, I thought it was a piece of scrimshaw or a whales tooth. :tard:

He is in planting time so he may still be out on the tractor working and not seen the commotion.
thanks TnMountains you hit the nail on the head, i was out on the tractor, but i did try to get the desription posted (but about 24 hrs late), lars

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
Jimmy(PA) said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckles

So you're another one of the "panties in a bunch because a Native American Artifact made the banner" guys? Your buddy is over in the Personal Rants section right now. IMO, you should go have a pity party there, and keep it off the rest of the forum.

-Buck

Actually I said it was banner worthy and called it a rare find. This has nothing to do with the craftsmanship of the object. So you should move on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread