My best game piece yet! I need to be thankful for the rain!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 3,830
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,733
  • IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,702
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,651
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,669
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,683
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Bone artifacts are rare as they decompose pretty quick. When found they often show incised lines or decorations on them. Larson found one in very good shape from an area where people lived off the buffalo. Game stones were made by many ancient cultures and most found are made out of stone. Some end up being drilled all the way through and worn and are called gorgets. It can get tricky on I.D with out a written history.They gambled and traded with items like these because there was no currency. It is Art and craftsmanship in the stone age.
Items like this are similar to say CW/US belt buckle or in coins a rare copper or a key date Indian head a nice reale or a good gold ring out of a tot lot.
The value of one in that condition could possibly buy a couple metal detectors :thumbsup:
Neo gave a good link in that link was a better explanation of items like this in that particular culture. I do not know why everyone did not try to help explain this so you would know what is on your banner bar. There have been hundreds of artifact items that are banner worthy roll by unnoticed. I guess Jeff thought it would be nice to have an ancient artifact rolling by. Here is some from the link:
Young women sat on the ice wrapped in buffalo robes and played gambling games. A common one was played by two teams with two to eight players each. As in many such amusements, the object was to slide a game piece to a goal. In this case, a bone thrower made from a buffalo vertebra was used to propel the gaming piece towards the goal, which was a piece of wood about three inches long, notched at each end and painted red. The game piece itself was either a flat, circular river pebble or a small, square piece of buffalo vertebra. Such bone pieces were usually decorated with two carved lines stretching from corner to corner and crossing in the center.
Hope this helps :icon_sunny: Nice find Larson. Congratulations !!
TnMtns

Thanks for spending the time to explain, its clearer than the links I read (which were useful, so thanks to Neo as well). This was all that was needed at the start, to educate as all & would have put a stop on the pleading & discussions. oh well...

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now how cool is that a game piece from ancient American Natives :thumbsup: Thanks for the explanation on here you learn something new each day :headbang: Dd60

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry for the lack of explanation
i was preoccupied after finding 122 tomato plants with early blight on them
i did this post in a hurry and was out working til dark, then come home and tipped over not knowing about all this activity
i am truly sorry for not spending more time initially
i sure appreciate all the comments, you are my friends.......THANK YOU for the banner votes
here is a picture of a few more game pieces, i am lucky to find one every two years but never such a big one and in exc condition
before i post the image i am putting a link here, after you click on the link scroll to page 152, figure 556

http://books.google.com/books?id=a0...in north america&pg=PA149#v=onepage&q&f=false

once again thanks much, larson

Attachments

• IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,539

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
larson1951 said:
sorry for the lack of explanation
i was preoccupied after finding 122 tomato plants with early blight on them
i did this post in a hurry and was out working til dark, then come home and tipped over not knowing about all this activity
i am truly sorry for not spending more time initially
i sure appreciate all the comments, you are my friends.......THANK YOU for the banner votes
here is a picture of a few more game pieces, i am lucky to find one every two years but never such a big one and in exc condition
before i post the image i am putting a link here, after you click on the link scroll to page 152, figure 556

http://books.google.com/books?id=a0...in north america&pg=PA149#v=onepage&q&f=false

once again thanks much, larson

Thanks & sorry for the badgering, I just couldn't get my head around the lack of details for such an exciting find :icon_thumright: But I guess thats because I don't do gardening or grow tomato's :wink: :D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cool find, Lars. And sorry to hear about your tomatoes, I can sympathise. All mine this year got the blight so it looks like not many nice ones this year.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Neogeo said:
I am not tryin to be a smart Alic..I am truly trying to help....If you dno't know about artifacts..just ask and folks will try to help....

I don't metal detect....But they get all happy when finding metal stuff(buckles,buttons..etc)For me they are too new to get that happy about...But thats just me....Some of the stone artifacts are thousands of years old.

I am not trying to start anything...neo

You have my most sincere apology. I am not trying to start anything. I am interested in all aspects of treasure hunting but some of the areas, like this one, escape me. I don't even know where to start researching stuff. I have not even found one Arrow Head although I have tried several times, and yes there are arrow heads around here to find.

Thanks for trying to explain it a little better and that is a really interesting item to find. I have no problems with it being on the banner because apparently it is a rare find in excellent condition.

Thanks. :icon_thumleft:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Sounds like we are all good now!I was where you are now(not even knowing where to start)If you would like to start looking for artifacts,I send folk beginers sets.some brokes and what not to help ya get the feel of artifacts,and help train the eye.The next batches are goin out around the middle of the month(about the 18th)Shoot me your addy if you are interested...Neo

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
I believe:

1. They are ignoring those of us posting "what is this item"
2. They are just being smart alek and not answering the question asked by several.

I'm sure that whatever this item is it is cool because someone put it on the banner, but I have NO clue what it is supposed to be or actually is. :icon_scratch:

I get frustrated as well when folks assume we all know what an item is. I, too would like to know what the item is, and how it was used.
Ahh, I see it was ID'd.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
I believe:

1. They are ignoring those of us posting "what is this item"
2. They are just being smart alek and not answering the question asked by several.

I'm sure that whatever this item is it is cool because someone put it on the banner, but I have NO clue what it is supposed to be or actually is. :icon_scratch:

Only finds that are posted in the "Todays finds" are eligible for the banner.... Things in "What is it" are NOT.
Also although people vote for an object to be placed on the banner, its the moderator(s) who really chooses (I think)...

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks jonzey
once again sorry for this delay
i'm thinking if all this super wet and cool weather hadn't given me the early blight i don't think i would have that game piece
now the question is; are 122 tomato plants worth that piece? my answer is... YES!
when i went to find more plants this morn the lady at the plant store said "steve, since i know that you give all of your produce away just stop by
on thursday morning and i will give you all the plants i have left as i am closing on july 1rst," she took me in back and showed me over 200 plants and
said, "you can have all of these if you like"....................... sometimes things have a funny way of working out
here is a link to a page of images of some more game pieces......click on the link and go to page 16 also a picture of all of the game pieces i have found in the last 25 years of hunting the surface in my same field
lars

PS: these links are material that the good man named 'COTEAU' found for us

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 2,432
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2,405

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lars,
Great find and congrats on the well deserved banner.

I just read the entire post and learned quite a bit. I'm into metal detecting and I've never found an arrowhead but I think I'm going to take my seven year old out in the next week or so. I think she will get a big kick out of it.

Now since I have tomato plants in my backyard I have to go research blight... :wink:

Thanks
NJ

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Amazing find, I would love to find one but I am not familiar with these artifacts at all, god knows how many times I may have walked right past them at old Indian and colonial sites but come on guys, for 1-2k years old that's pretty crappy technology and workmanship considering when you compare it to what was going on in Rome and other regions of the world at that time. Still a rare and great find though.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
Amazing find, I would love to find one but I am not familiar with these artifacts at all, god knows how many times I may have walked right past them at old Indian and colonial sites but come on guys, for 1-2k years old that's pretty crappy technology and workmanship considering when you compare it to what was going on in Rome and other regions of the world at that time. Still a rare and great find though.

Apples to Oranges. Kinda like comparing the Flintstone's to the Jetson's. Stone age technology was not crappy. It was very successful here from Mastodon's and extinctions on to that buffalo game piece. Rome was only what? 2763 bp. Look on this board and you will see 12,000 + bp items posted made by... man. So while say a Roman coin is a fabulous find and great historic item in the big scheme of things, being man made, it not really that old at all. Though I sure enjoy seeing them posted and learning about them.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
TnMountains said:
Jimmy(PA) said:

Apples to Oranges. Kinda like comparing the Flintstone's to the Jetson's. Stone age technology was not crappy. It was very successful here from Mastodon's and extinctions on to that buffalo game piece. Rome was only what? 2763 bp. Look on this board and you will see 12,000 + bp items posted made by... man. So while say a Roman coin is a fabulous find and great historic item in the big scheme of things, being man made, it not really that old at all. Though I sure enjoy seeing them posted and learning about them.

They stated these particular objects where 1,000 to 2,000 years old. So Rome would be the older of the two. Now if it is 12,000 + years I will retract my criticism about the crudity of their skill.

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
It is only crude relative to the technology available to the culture. If it were made in Rome at its peak then it would certainly be crude. The technology available to the Roman Empire was a culmination of conquest of many cultures then adapted and refined over thousands of years. The people in the Americas did not have the same opportunities to develop tech as there was no injection of foreign ideas etc. There technology was handed down generation to generation and evolved much slower. So, age is not the determining factor, or shouldn't be in this case. jmho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread