Archaeologists hate you...........

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a collector/hunter. Been hunting for over 20 years. But by no means does this make me an expert on artifacts. There are too many regions and too many flint types, and all I've ever hunted were ohio artifacts 90 percent adena and hopewell. Over the years on some of these artifact forums I have seen folks getting pretty interested in the artifacts they are finding and search for a broader understanding of prehistory. During this search I have seen people come to believe that they have anthropology degrees or have attended extensive lithic technology seminars. When in reality they are just well read rednecks unable to understand or put forth usable data available for the archaeological record. I made a comment few weeks ago on here about how I'm surprised that the government hasn't already taken away our rights to claim artifacts on private lands for ourselves (got 2 likes). But I'm not so sure I can say that I fully believe this. Maybe the government should step in and stop the hunting and sells of prehistorical relics. Doesn't prehistory belong to all of us. But the arrowhead hunter wants to dispute this on the claim that well these artifacts are just going to sit out there surfacing and reburying themselves, getting broke due to progress. Also we claim that this is my property or someone giving permissions property and what is on that property then belongs to them and the government has no right to take what is on ones property. Then there are the one's who make profits from buying and selling relics, the real enemies of the archaeological record. These folks disburse relics from their regions and mix up the record beyond comprehension. But at the same time so have government involvements and political relations. A large percent of ohio mound recoveries are in a museum in london or paris or some city abroad (forget where). So whats the big deal you might ask about something being put out of its region it still has study value and its history. Its not really about the disbursal but the separation of data. For example if one group of archs specializing in one culture had that one cultures complete record in front of them and available at any given time they could group together more specific data leading to a more comprehensive conclusions to prehistory, esp. when technology is getting more advanced and different techniques and ideas are being learned, we in turn as humankind may advance as we learn new things about ourselves as humans and thats what the whole study of lithics is based on, archaeology and anthropology, which isnt just studying about how rocks were knapped or how an axe was pecked, its more a look back to help organize our future. I used to think, how much can we learn from ancient cultures, there may be more to record but its going to lead eventually back to the beginning of man and heck we all know man began right. But the television show ancient aliens has opened my eyes to a whole new thinking :laughing7: (ya gotta love that right) yeah that show is pretty silly but some aspects of it is pretty interesting like the cities with stones cut with unexplainable precision etc. This leads me to look at things in a bit different. There is still lots to learn and I sometimes feel that when seeing shelters being dug and other sites I've seen people digging in on here that we might be helping to ruin a history we need to know. Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, i fell asleep three times trying to read your first post
then you answer your own post twelve times in one day?
you are the champion thread maker

larson you fell asleep cause your old, hey do I get a trophy for being the champion thread maker ....

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed, must have alot of time on his hands!

I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I make time to come here to spend this quality time with you folks talking about whether a rock is a rock or not. It's important to me :hello2:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
ya martingeetars,
maybe he should take up guitar playing
that could keep him busy...............(but he probably already knows how)
now don't get mad here sohio, we are just having a little fun
gotta get to work now

I would never stand in the way of fun hey wait a minute 2038 posts ? hmmm :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
ya martingeetars,
maybe he should take up guitar playing
that could keep him busy...............(but he probably already knows how)
now don't get mad here sohio, we are just having a little fun
gotta get to work now

I don't have any music inclinations whatsoever. Just can't learn music when i played french horn in 4th grade the band teacher, at the christmas pageant told me to pretend i was playing.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey it's good for the soul.....some people take computer idiots (like myself) too serious, nice to see your good sports.

coughsarrowheadology

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wwid (what would Indians do) you guys ate crack me up

Johnathan Griswold

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Solutrean Hypothesis, as presented by Dr. Dennis Stanford of the Smithsonian Institution, and Dr. Bruce Bradley of the University of Exeter, is, by definition, a HYPOTHESIS.
Definition: A
proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
That being said, I find the Solutrean hypothesis very possible, even likely, in my opinion. But that does NOT MAKE IT A FACT. As an archaeologist, on several occasions I've used metal detectors and they were very useful. It's the looters who trespass on battlefields and significant sites and remove cultural heritage that give MD-ers a bad reputation. I do not feel I am in conflict with the ethics I learned professionally when I go out with my metal detector and hunt the beach for jewelry and coins. I would be in conflict if I sneeked onto a site and found something & kept it, even if I never sold it.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for reminding me what a hypothesis is

hypothesize me this.....how do you use a 17k carbon date on the east coast as guesswork or 1/4 caucasian dna in north american tribes

thanks for your input

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I can tell you one thing. I been hunting for years now and have accumulated a nice collection. I also have a relationship with the archeologists in our area and they dont hate me. The president of our archeologist society comes by once in a while just to see new stuff. It could be because im a surface hunter (fields and water) but thats really all we have here unless ur an ass and dig into our river banks at the right spot. If i was going to hit up an overhang I would let them know and make it a project with them but in our area I only know of a couple and they are dug.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you one thing. I been hunting for years now and have accumulated a nice collection. I also have a relationship with the archeologists in our area and they dont hate me.

I'm glad the archaeologists in your area don't hate you, I was kinda generalizing when i made the title for this post I had to make it sound dramatizing

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know quite a few Archys and none of them hate me.

Maybe they just all hate you.

I can actually see how that could happen.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
It's threads like this that show peoples ignorance, was it the word hate or the word redneck or ?? like dripping blood to attract sharks. I put forth a noteworthy topic and only 2 people cared to try to discuss it. Was I really going off the deep end when i said that archaeologists hate you. No not really because its actually documented in many publications how archys feel about "potholers". And I'm pretty sure, if you read, you've probably came across something to this fact as well. Was I going off the deep end when I said that arrowhead forums had some well read rednecks. No, just stating a fact. Hey ya think I was going off the deep end when I brought up aliens again. Well maybe ya got me there, but point being you don't like my posts don't respond. If you think its funny to watch me be an idiot then by all means join in on the fun. But why attack me with statements that make me seem like a troubled or unemployed or "have too much time on my hands" person. quite the contrary on all the mentioned. I might say stuff out of context a lot but I'm just trying to make you laugh because obviously some of you nerds need to loosen up :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I was joking I'm noones buddy in life i keep to myself

but regardless and aside from my nonsense I respect you as a person whos interested in artifacts and i have nothing against you. you seem like a pretty nice fella. that goes for everyone i run across on here. even on arrowheadology. i just can't help being mischievous its stupid.

so with that said im not going to bother this board or post here anymore.

take care.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread