Archaeologists hate you...........

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a collector/hunter. Been hunting for over 20 years. But by no means does this make me an expert on artifacts. There are too many regions and too many flint types, and all I've ever hunted were ohio artifacts 90 percent adena and hopewell. Over the years on some of these artifact forums I have seen folks getting pretty interested in the artifacts they are finding and search for a broader understanding of prehistory. During this search I have seen people come to believe that they have anthropology degrees or have attended extensive lithic technology seminars. When in reality they are just well read rednecks unable to understand or put forth usable data available for the archaeological record. I made a comment few weeks ago on here about how I'm surprised that the government hasn't already taken away our rights to claim artifacts on private lands for ourselves (got 2 likes). But I'm not so sure I can say that I fully believe this. Maybe the government should step in and stop the hunting and sells of prehistorical relics. Doesn't prehistory belong to all of us. But the arrowhead hunter wants to dispute this on the claim that well these artifacts are just going to sit out there surfacing and reburying themselves, getting broke due to progress. Also we claim that this is my property or someone giving permissions property and what is on that property then belongs to them and the government has no right to take what is on ones property. Then there are the one's who make profits from buying and selling relics, the real enemies of the archaeological record. These folks disburse relics from their regions and mix up the record beyond comprehension. But at the same time so have government involvements and political relations. A large percent of ohio mound recoveries are in a museum in london or paris or some city abroad (forget where). So whats the big deal you might ask about something being put out of its region it still has study value and its history. Its not really about the disbursal but the separation of data. For example if one group of archs specializing in one culture had that one cultures complete record in front of them and available at any given time they could group together more specific data leading to a more comprehensive conclusions to prehistory, esp. when technology is getting more advanced and different techniques and ideas are being learned, we in turn as humankind may advance as we learn new things about ourselves as humans and thats what the whole study of lithics is based on, archaeology and anthropology, which isnt just studying about how rocks were knapped or how an axe was pecked, its more a look back to help organize our future. I used to think, how much can we learn from ancient cultures, there may be more to record but its going to lead eventually back to the beginning of man and heck we all know man began right. But the television show ancient aliens has opened my eyes to a whole new thinking :laughing7: (ya gotta love that right) yeah that show is pretty silly but some aspects of it is pretty interesting like the cities with stones cut with unexplainable precision etc. This leads me to look at things in a bit different. There is still lots to learn and I sometimes feel that when seeing shelters being dug and other sites I've seen people digging in on here that we might be helping to ruin a history we need to know. Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear but understand you have the right to choose what you do or don't do. As a newbie to arrowhead hunting, I appreciate you being one of the few who has answered questions and helped "try" to ID artifacts for me. I don't post to get attention because I haven't accomplished near what others have here, "I" post to get answers and to show the little bit I find to those who are interested in seeing. I have seen your posts and comments and have never got the impression you crossed the line too far. Some people have less patience, thin skin, etc... Lets face it... why take this too serious? We are all walking around looking or digging for rocks:tongue3: Hopefully you will change your mind but if not and you see this post...I thank you!

I really appreciate your post along with minergirls. Another reason I responded to this thread again. I appreciate your support but I can see that I get out of hand with some statements. If I do post on this forum anymore I'll probably tone it down a little bit and not use words like rednecks and or fairyheadology and stuff like that.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
all i can say, the day arch save the world or even a few lives in their pointless job, then i will give all my stuff to them. but to me its just pointless prehistory if its not hunted and adored or bought and adored. what i think the gov should worry about is the coins that are being sold for way more or just even more of facevalue, that has to be screwing with the money records somewhere right?
we all would love to do the same as the archs but we just love them way to much to box them up and hide them. i live once so i will not ever quit no matter what!!!

I can tell by your post you've been hit in the head many times but I'm going to almost agree with you, see as some of you may think I take an archy view on some things when actually I'm just an ole potholer like most of you. For example this thread I had no idea what i was going to fill in after i titled it archaeologists hate you.....I just thought that title would get your attention and so then I just started typing off the top of my head and the thread was what it was when i got tired of typing. Just like most of my posts I'm just typing don't mind me, but some do mind me and just can't handle a little sohio.

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHIO...Glad you're not Dead...Please check in on us "Newbie Threads" and give your opinions,,,as well as others...There has been a lack of postings recently where newbies are trying to figure out what they have and No-One will acknowledge them. Its sad 'cause they are excited and no-one, (those who can offer an opinion) are being defiant and not posting. Wish I was expert enough and confident enough to offer opinions...not there just yet...:)

Personally I thought you and "Grim" were adversary buddies...hope thats the case...we all have opinions and varying expertise and want to hear all sides.

Thanks for showing up

MinerGirl

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with MinerGirl I love your thoughts and comments I'm a newbie aswell to a lot of things, and I have learned a lot up here already! Hearing you guys talk and commenting on my finds as well as others teaches me a lot! So keep it up! You guys keep driving me to find more and more artifacts, one day ill post the the whole teepee I dig up!

Johnathan Griswold

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Wow, that didn't take long! I don't think anyone thought for a second that you'd be gone for good...welcome back narcissis. Yeah, you're right, you're not a troll, sorry about that comment, I was completely out of line.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
.....I just thought that title would get your attention and so then I just started typing off the top of my head and the thread was what it was when i got tired of typing. Just like most of my posts I'm just typing don't mind me, but some do mind me and just can't handle a little

Flamer

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
As for agreeing or disagreeing I can't remember any threads where I disagreed or agreed with anything other than agreeing

ROFLMAO.....now tell me...who's been hit in the head too many times?!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
wow, i fell asleep three times trying to read your first post
then you answer your own post twelve times in one day?
you are the champion thread maker

LOL...just a few months ago he bumped his on Banner Find thread twice hoping to get more replies/views...LOL. Probably the only Banner Find that had less than 20 replies......

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL...just a few months ago he bumped his on Banner Find thread twice hoping to get more replies/views...LOL. Probably the only Banner Find that had less than 20 replies......

ouch

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
As for agreeing or disagreeing I can't remember any threads where I disagreed or agreed with anything other than agreeing

ROFLMAO.....now tell me...who's been hit in the head too many times?!

um trevma

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
.....I just thought that title would get your attention and so then I just started typing off the top of my head and the thread was what it was when i got tired of typing. Just like most of my posts I'm just typing don't mind me, but some do mind me and just can't handle a little

Flamer

i seen your picture on mug shots gimme a break lmao

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that didn't take long! I don't think anyone thought for a second that you'd be gone for good...welcome back narcissis. .QUOTE]

Well i tried narcissis i can live with that now i have a title i feel all important and stuff now.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

wow look how many replies and views this post has. oh by the way i was going to say i bumped my own banner because i was being obnoxious but i realize now that its because im a narcissist.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This would make a nice avatar....

Attachments

• sohio.jpg
    sohio.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
If I claim to have not been a flamer before, i definately am now :thumbsup:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
To get back on topic....sorry......Archaeologists need potholers, world history needs us. We are usually the ones that stumble upon these sites because the Archaeologists lack funding. Without doubt, potholers have expedited the current written record and will continue to do so. It's a shame that we fear to either continue to hunt artifacts and/or display our finds for fear of prison time and huge fines. Yes, North American history will be rewritten again and again if potholers continue to do what we do....dig!

Don't be surprised if a potholer unearths a Neanderthal in a North American rock shelter one day. After all, evidence does support that all the continents were once connected. Wouldn't you like to be THE one that helps rewrite the books?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread