Archaeologists hate you...........

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a collector/hunter. Been hunting for over 20 years. But by no means does this make me an expert on artifacts. There are too many regions and too many flint types, and all I've ever hunted were ohio artifacts 90 percent adena and hopewell. Over the years on some of these artifact forums I have seen folks getting pretty interested in the artifacts they are finding and search for a broader understanding of prehistory. During this search I have seen people come to believe that they have anthropology degrees or have attended extensive lithic technology seminars. When in reality they are just well read rednecks unable to understand or put forth usable data available for the archaeological record. I made a comment few weeks ago on here about how I'm surprised that the government hasn't already taken away our rights to claim artifacts on private lands for ourselves (got 2 likes). But I'm not so sure I can say that I fully believe this. Maybe the government should step in and stop the hunting and sells of prehistorical relics. Doesn't prehistory belong to all of us. But the arrowhead hunter wants to dispute this on the claim that well these artifacts are just going to sit out there surfacing and reburying themselves, getting broke due to progress. Also we claim that this is my property or someone giving permissions property and what is on that property then belongs to them and the government has no right to take what is on ones property. Then there are the one's who make profits from buying and selling relics, the real enemies of the archaeological record. These folks disburse relics from their regions and mix up the record beyond comprehension. But at the same time so have government involvements and political relations. A large percent of ohio mound recoveries are in a museum in london or paris or some city abroad (forget where). So whats the big deal you might ask about something being put out of its region it still has study value and its history. Its not really about the disbursal but the separation of data. For example if one group of archs specializing in one culture had that one cultures complete record in front of them and available at any given time they could group together more specific data leading to a more comprehensive conclusions to prehistory, esp. when technology is getting more advanced and different techniques and ideas are being learned, we in turn as humankind may advance as we learn new things about ourselves as humans and thats what the whole study of lithics is based on, archaeology and anthropology, which isnt just studying about how rocks were knapped or how an axe was pecked, its more a look back to help organize our future. I used to think, how much can we learn from ancient cultures, there may be more to record but its going to lead eventually back to the beginning of man and heck we all know man began right. But the television show ancient aliens has opened my eyes to a whole new thinking :laughing7: (ya gotta love that right) yeah that show is pretty silly but some aspects of it is pretty interesting like the cities with stones cut with unexplainable precision etc. This leads me to look at things in a bit different. There is still lots to learn and I sometimes feel that when seeing shelters being dug and other sites I've seen people digging in on here that we might be helping to ruin a history we need to know. Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was joking I'm noones buddy in life i keep to myself

but regardless and aside from my nonsense I respect you as a person whos interested in artifacts and i have nothing against you. you seem like a pretty nice fella. that goes for everyone i run across on here. even on arrowheadology. i just can't help being mischievous its stupid.

so with that said im not going to bother this board or post here anymore.

take care.

No one said you had to quit posting. You just need to lighten up a little. Some of the things you say you are saying in jest rubs people the wrong way. It is hard to tell sarcasm and jesting in the written word.

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHIO, You're not seriously leaving...How can you be so selfish and not keep posting?...:) Geez...I hope you're just taking a short Vaca...You stick up for the Newbies and bring interesting topics to light...such as this topic...I JUST studied the Solutrean Theory and was glad to see your post. I was "clue-less" to this topic until I figured out what Philvis was talking about...the "Cactus Hill" site...Then, I read your post and thought it was cool that you were pursuing this new theory too.

I enjoy the "ribbing s" and I'm sure no-one's truly offended.

Your posts spice things up and give the "Newbies" hope and encouragement. Even the will to keep looking and learning after being "bashed" by "Nay-Sayers"

Thanks...MinerGirl

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know she's right. I've been taking my fair share of bashing and can see how you could get fed up. I think you were the first to welcome me aboard.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Just my opinion here, but I'll take a shot at addressing one of the points that SOHIO brings up. On my land I'll do whatever I want. Any interaction from the government is an intrusion. If I have a mound and I want to preserve then that's my business. If I want to level and use it as fill fun a miniature golf course, that's my business. I'm more concerned about the erosion of personal freedom in this country that I am about the preservation of a historical site. I'm sure that's the wrong answer for this board. I have a great amount of interest in and respect for learning from the past, but the ultimate goal is betterment of the future. If preserving the past compromises the future then I'd just as soon let the past go.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to admit that the Solutrean-like point you are referring to is very interesting. However, saying that one lone, out-of-context point rewrote history is quite a stretch.

11KBP

Agreed! The association between the point and the animal remains was not at all clear cut. They were dredged up in scallop nets. There was no clear context. They are planning to return to the site to attempt underwater archaeology this summer. Time will tell how much merit the Solutrean hypothesis has. For now, it is only a hypothesis, has very few supporters among American archaeologists(not that THAT proves it's wrong!), and it cannot be said that American prehistory has been rewritten based on this hypothesis. Nor is there ANY clear cut DNA evidence to support it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

but regardless and aside from my nonsense I respect you as a person whos interested in artifacts and i have nothing against you. you seem like a pretty nice fella. that goes for everyone i run across on here. even on arrowheadology. i just can't help being mischievous its stupid.

take care.

It's quite obvious that you get a rise in your Levi's by trolling this website, please....be gone and be gone for good. What am I thinking? You need this site, there's no way you'll leave it...you feed off of it. Just keep on keeping to yourself, the world will be a better place. Arrowheadology would not put up with your nonsense, it's too bad that this site allows it.

P.S. I'll let you know how many likes I recieve for this post......

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
I hate to see anyone leave this site but if you cant accept some criticism from time to time and are not willing to agree to disagree at times then your probably better off staying off this board...Just my opinion and thoughts.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

take care.
Sorry to hear but understand you have the right to choose what you do or don't do. As a newbie to arrowhead hunting, I appreciate you being one of the few who has answered questions and helped "try" to ID artifacts for me. I don't post to get attention because I haven't accomplished near what others have here, "I" post to get answers and to show the little bit I find to those who are interested in seeing. I have seen your posts and comments and have never got the impression you crossed the line too far. Some people have less patience, thin skin, etc... Lets face it... why take this too serious? We are all walking around looking or digging for rocks:tongue3: Hopefully you will change your mind but if not and you see this post...I thank you!

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i can say, the day arch save the world or even a few lives in their pointless job, then i will give all my stuff to them. but to me its just pointless prehistory if its not hunted and adored or bought and adored. what i think the gov should worry about is the coins that are being sold for way more or just even more of facevalue, that has to be screwing with the money records somewhere right?
we all would love to do the same as the archs but we just love them way to much to box them up and hide them. i live once so i will not ever quit no matter what!!!

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
oh geesh where do i start..................

Last edited:
OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
No one said you had to quit posting. You just need to lighten up a little. Some of the things you say you are saying in jest rubs people the wrong way. It is hard to tell sarcasm and jesting in the written word.

agreed ...sorry

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
SOHIO, You're not seriously leaving...How can you be so selfish and not keep posting?...:) Geez...I hope you're just taking a short Vaca...You stick up for the Newbies and bring interesting topics to light...such as this topic...I JUST studied the Solutrean Theory and was glad to see your post. I was "clue-less" to this topic until I figured out what Philvis was talking about...the "Cactus Hill" site...Then, I read your post and thought it was cool that you were pursuing this new theory too.

I enjoy the "ribbing s" and I'm sure no-one's truly offended.

Your posts spice things up and give the "Newbies" hope and encouragement. Even the will to keep looking and learning after being "bashed" by "Nay-Sayers"

Thanks...MinerGirl

:love7:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
you know she's right. I've been taking my fair share of bashing and can see how you could get fed up. I think you were the first to welcome me aboard.

I don't get fed up with anything related to web forums. If I don't find any points on a given day I'll get mad, someone says something on a web forum, oh well it has no direct effect on me. Welcome aboard again, when it gets too boring and you've opened the millionth thread titled "recent finds" and you just wanna puke from the "helpful" ones demonstrating their lithic prowess, just remember not to try and be different because some don't like anything different. Their grandads were probably good ole southerners if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
If preserving the past compromises the future then I'd just as soon let the past go.

what examples of comprimises are you talking about?

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed! The association between the point and the animal remains was not at all clear cut. They were dredged up in scallop nets. There was no clear context. They are planning to return to the site to attempt underwater archaeology this summer. Time will tell how much merit the Solutrean hypothesis has. For now, it is only a hypothesis, has very few supporters among American archaeologists(not that THAT proves it's wrong!), and it cannot be said that American prehistory has been rewritten based on this hypothesis. Nor is there ANY clear cut DNA evidence to support it.

I do not have enough information to have made a claim that one point changed prehistory, but the information I have went over concerning this debate convinced me to lean one way rather than another. I guess time and more research will determine one way or another.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
It's quite obvious that you get a rise in your Levi's by trolling this website, please....be gone and be gone for good. What am I thinking? You need this site, there's no way you'll leave it...you feed off of it. Just keep on keeping to yourself, the world will be a better place. Arrowheadology would not put up with your nonsense, it's too bad that this site allows it.

P.S. I'll let you know how many likes I recieve for this post......

I don't wear levis anymore due to the fact that they make them cheap nowadays like everything else. Bought a pair a few years ago didn't last me 6 months. As for being gone I decided not to post on here anymore but ive been looking in on this thread past few days and was just going to keep checking on this post to see where it went until it petered out, and not post anymore and just browse sometimes until I came across your post, and I just had to respond :laughing7:. I like the crh forum and a few others so I'll be looking at them as I often do. I won't however be "trolling" as you claim. As if I'm one to hide behind something (laugh). I need this site probably as much as you do for entertainment and education, some for camaraderie, I'm not that type. Anyway yeah I'm not exactly leaving it I guess. But I'm not going to be feeding off of it? That does't make any sense. What? Do you have me pictured here slobbering over my keyboard, wrenching my warty hands, with a sinister grin as I post perverted threads. Heh:laughing7: I stopped putting up with arrowheadologies nonsense. Nice try on your little witch hunt but be for real pal this is a web forum its all hyperspace.

P.S. I have no idea how many likes I'm going to get for this post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to see anyone leave this site but if you cant accept some criticism from time to time and are not willing to agree to disagree at times then your probably better off staying off this board...Just my opinion and thoughts.

I don't think you've read through enough of my threads or posts because if anyone has they will have noticed that I take criticism very well and respond to it with good humor. As for agreeing or disagreeing I can't remember any threads where I disagreed or agreed with anything other than agreeing that a point was sweet or disagreeing that I mean to disrupt the board. Read all my posts before making assumptions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions