Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open posting. Post those little uniface thumb scrapers we find. Here are a few and will post more if people are interested...

100_3929.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_1990.JPG 100_1993.JPG 100_1990.JPG 100_1993.JPG Here is some of mine. Some from Tx and some from Ga border of Tn.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops double post. Tx on the left others on right.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of personal finds that I would consider thumb scrapers....one is uniface and the other is biface. The biface one has the most beautiful flaking!
IMG_4138 (800x421).jpg IMG_4140 (800x534).jpg IMG_4141 (800x534).jpg IMG_4142 (753x800).jpg

And here's some that my grandpa and mom found
: IMG_4149 (800x735).jpg IMG_4150 (800x684).jpg IMG_4154 (800x533).jpg IMG_4157 (800x533).jpg IMG_4146 (800x624).jpg

Great thread, TnMtns---love all the pictures guys!!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. What a bunch of great examples. I do not even know what to say. Wonder how many we have missed over have in our flint buckets. Makes me want to go back over all those flakes I bring home.
So I am guessing from Paleo and earlier to time of contact this was an every day tool?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrapers found in July and August.

I picked up 4 tonight.

July and August?? Wow!! So your site was making these a lot and it was a buffalo culture? Meat?

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my favorite. It's the top of a drill that broke, and then was re-knapped to be a scraper.

Attachments

• image-1761888059.jpg
    image-1761888059.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image-379319118.jpg
    image-379319118.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 169

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
T Witko said:
The pertrified wood one is one of my favorites.

You find the prettiest transparent stuff I've ever seen. I've got to tell you, when I read your post, I picture you as your avatar pic. Don't know why. But, that is a compliment , and I mean that.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
You find the prettiest transparent stuff I've ever seen. I've got to tell you, when I read your post, I picture you as your avatar pic. Don't know why. But, that is a compliment , and I mean that.

i agree with you NC,
that is the original Twitko in his avatar, chief fool bear
twitko is one of my best friendds
he works to help take care of the site we hunt which is owned by our friend
then he gets his chokecherry flippin' stick and scores with it almost every day

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks. Here is some Tatanka Witko info.

In the early 70's I purchased a box of "stuff" at an auction and one of the items in it was an American Indian painting done on muslin depicting some kind of dance or ceremony with Tatonka Witko printed on it. This some of the info I've been able to find about him.

There is an attached document with more photos and additional info.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/a...71984-indian-chief-photos-fool-bull-tnet-.doc

Fool Bull, "Tatanka Witko", Brule Sioux Medicine Man (1844-1909)

Fool Bull, medicine man and warrior, holds his painted buffalo hide shield, which he carried in the Battle of Little Bighorn and a horse of the Dog Soldier Society. His shield may be an actual old war shield, it at least has a buckskin cover and not a muslin one like so many created during this period. Across his lap is a serrated whip made from a section of milled board, which he is holding by a fox or coyote skin wrist strap. This whip could have been related to his status as a Grass Dance whip man or to his membership in a warrior society. His claw necklace seems to be made of claws made from some material such as hoof or antler.
Photograph by John A. Anderson, 1900

There are some more photos in my reply in this thread

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/american-indian-artifacts/169237-indian-chief-photos.html

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Thumbscraper" sounds painful! Here is a thumbnail scraper from Florida. The "thumbnail" is the large, flat area on the convex side of the scraper. This flat area is the untouched remainder of the exterior of the thick flake after the edges have been sharpened by pressure flaking.Purdy includes these uniface tool among the larger category of "blunt-nose end scrapers." These tools, she suggests, are part of the Late Paleoindian toolkit, and they have been reported from the Late Paleolithic of Europe. The book example comes from a Florida site with mixed Archaic and Late Paleo lithics. Purdy does not provide the dimensions of her figured example, but I have offered the measurements of one example in my collection.

Glad to see someone from Florida knows what a uniface scraper is...

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goooood morning Artifact hunters!

I awoke and was going through some things and googled thumbnail scrappers. Guess where it brought me? Coffee is brewing. Was wondering in context when earliest examples show up?
Have a great day with an old post from the past that sits still on top of Google searches. See some old dear friends we all miss on here.
HH
TnMtns

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of real nice guys in those pics of finds. Both are missed.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Tnmountains, thanks for bringing this older post back to life, it was started before my time on tnet and I had not seen it before. I find it interesting that "thumbnail" may be in reference to a thumbnail size flat spot on the convex face of the scraper. I had always assumed that it was more in reference to tools that would do jobs that were originally done with thumb and fingernails? Most of the sites I hunt are multi-componenet, but I do seem to get the impression that these type scrapers are more prevalent on mid-archaic era sites here on the Delmarva peninisula, for what that's worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread