Pretty nice finds recently

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Recently I have been hunting a pretty good bit. Over the holiday pops and I went out and one day. He had a really good day. Combined, we brought this in.

image-2213333451.jpg

The next day I went out and found a hard stone hoe with nice shaping. Well, one side is plowed off, but it was super nice at one time. My pics do not do this find any justice.

image-293397417.jpg

image-3525025111.jpg

Went out another day and came in with this!

image-21480245.jpg

image-2639681601.jpg

VA. Civil war button! Finally a Native American artifact collector finds a metal detector dude's sought after treasure. So many times that one is reversed. I also found these that day.

image-2455557303.jpg

image-3087900821.jpg

image-1912744242.jpg

Finally... Today, I found these after work.

image-717151054.jpg

image-1498145611.jpg

image-3607940692.jpg

image-1771718804.jpg

image-829274137.jpg

image-1147522286.jpg

I also found this today.

image-3723405305.jpg

image-152770134.jpg

image-3098849909.jpg

image-3098849909.jpg

image-1087271798.jpg

I'm going to give this one it's own thread because I'm not sure if its an awl or simply a deer bone. If any one can tell me, please do. If its road kill, I need to toss it. If its an awl, I need to preserve it. It will not last long it's almost to crumble now.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally you posted some finds. I knew you had been out. Thats a nice apple you found. Maybe next week I will go and have some fun.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the bone.
.. nice finds NC.
I love the military button.
The ones I find here are a bit older and mostly pewter.
I would definitely like to hunt some Civil War relics.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks guys. What should I look for specifically on bone pieces. This one has a flat side that cuts away at an angle towards the tip. I can't see any sure sign of human usage on it, but I am not sure enough about deer anatomy to have just walked on by it.

image-3760140453.jpg

image-499919592.jpg

These pictures are of artifacts found in VA. On a site that I surface hunt. You can see what caused me to bring this one in. Thanks for helping me fellas, and I guess I can use this bone as a practice piece. It couldn't hurt me to learn how to preserve bone. Rock, that apple wasn't only pretty. I thought I would wake everyone in the house chomping on that apple a 2:00 this morning. Lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL it was a nice looking apple. I thought the bone looked like a trigger awl myself but I am no expert on bone items seeing I dont find many. Most of the awls I find are made from stone.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
LOL it was a nice looking apple. I thought the bone looked like a trigger awl myself but I am no expert on bone items seeing I dont find many. Most of the awls I find are made from stone.

Awls are not a common surface find here either. Bone in general is rare here. It seems as if air hits it, it crumbles. Like you said, it looks like a trigger awl, and being on the safe side, I picked it up. A true fool doesn't ask questions. My granddad told me that years ago. That's why most of my post are questions. I don't know far more things than I know, that I do know!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that just confused me......your last sentence. I was going to the creek today but it rained.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC,

That's a nice pull of artifacts! That Virginia button is a really nice find. I'm a metal detector guy too and would have been very happy if I found that. If you have a detector, I would be out there right now looking to see what else is there. Good luck.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
NC,

That's a nice pull of artifacts! That Virginia button is a really nice find. I'm a metal detector guy too and would have been very happy if I found that. If you have a detector, I would be out there right now looking to see what else is there. Good luck.

Thanks GA. I got my first detector when I was 5 years old. It was a nice machine, an old bounty hunter. (Well... Old now) detecting was big in my area at that time. They had hunts, with planted silver dollars and stuff. Looking back, it is kinda cheesy, but it was fun, for kids and adults. In recent months, I pulled my compass detector out. That's my new one, if that tells you anything. Lol! I couldn't get it to work. Batteries had corroded in it, but in going through it, I could tell that wasn't my issue. My last hunt was in the creek, looking for gold. I remember getting the coil wet on that hunt. That's my problem. Cutting an already long story short, I'm in the market for a new machine, but I don't really like what I see. I know the old needle machines, these digital ones are Greek to me. From my reading I can see I'm not alone in wanting a needle gauge machine. Any suggestions? Gator recommend a Garrets, and I know that is an old company. I remember not being able to afford one in the 80's. things haven't changed. Lol! They are premo. Machines.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A deer ulna is naturally shaped like that.
You would be looking for Polish on a sharpened tip.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
A deer ulna is naturally shaped like that.
You would be looking for Polish on a sharpened tip.

I wasn't sure if that was the natural shape of the bone. The slant in it, if not natural, I was thinking would have been what made this bone an artifact. You see what I picked up right? I picked up my uncertainty. Many times I've done this. Most times the conclusion is the same as this one. Once in a blue moon not knowing pans out in my favor. I've drawn the conclusion that the grounds that I stomp do have nice artifacts. The type that aren't found every day. I'm the problem, not the area, the farm machinery, or any other excuse. It's my not knowing what I'm looking at, or overlooking. We get so used to finding the everyday point, scraper..... The list goes on and on. So used to finding certain artifacts that we leave the true treasures. That's what makes them treasures, I do suppose. Picking this road kill up was a stab at a significant find. I do appreciate you and Reaper telling me what I have. Although, it's not what I wanted, at least I now know deer ulna are slanted naturally. Also, bone doesn't preserve well here. I'm not sure polish would be evident on a bone surface find. I'm not sure.??

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC,
I have hunted with Garrets, and they are good machines. Actually, I still have an old Groundhog that I got back in 1978. Had a Compass too about the same age and was happy with the results of that one also. I currently have a White's DFX and would not go back. I guess it is where you live,(type of soil) and what you are hunting for that matters what type of detector that you look with. The only complaint that I can say about my White's is that the coil will become water logged if I hunt with it in the creek (1' or so of water) I've been through three coils so far and they are suppose to be waterproof in that shallow of water. Warranty covered them but cut my hunts short each time. - JMO

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing the right thing for sure NC.
Never toss something that looks to have potential Until you are sure.
Over time my hunting evolved into Being able to see the work.. Regardless of the items shape.
Many times I've brought home things That I had no idea what they were at the time... But I was positive I could see the work.
Then research leads to what it is.
I guess what I'm saying is.. I hunt for material.." The right kind".. Then the next thing I look for is the work. ..that way I don't even have to be familiar with the object to know it's the right material for my area.. and work is evident on it.
When I first started hunting .. I was looking for things shaped like an arrowhead or a plummet..celt..ect.. but unless its laying right on the surface completely cleaned off you almost never see the shape.. just the material.
Sorry if that seemed like I was rambling.. it took more words than I figured to explain that thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread