OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made this snake wood case to display some of my Drills .

Attachments

• P3211724.JPG
    P3211724.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 69

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez. My only drills are Dewalts and Milwaukee. You guys suck. Thanks to you all, I’ve been drooling so much that I shorted out my keyboard!

Kidding aside, you guys have some awesome stuff.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few from one site. The little one on the left is about a 1/16" thick and alternately beveled with heavy use wear on the edges toward the tip. I hadn't been collecting that long when I found it and just picked it up because of the oval shape. I left it laying in the bed of my truck for a couple of weeks before I picked it up and started paying attention. It's a wonder that it didn't get lost or broken 'cause it's about the size of a birdpoint and we all know how easy those things get lost.

drills.jpg

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Largest one looks like a Dalton worked down to a drill from many resharpenings. Maybe broken and salvaged! With a base that big, it likely was much larger when it was 1st stage IMO. Sweeeeeet!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder sometimes if native people didn’t find old points just like we do and put them to use, like let’s say that is dalton was it used to a nub by dalton people or was it a dalton point lost long ago and found by say a hopewell and used as a ready made tool

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder sometimes if native people didn’t find old points just like we do and put them to use, like let’s say that is dalton was it used to a nub by dalton people or was it a dalton point lost long ago and found by say a hopewell and used as a ready made tool

I believe they probably did , I have a few spots on the river I hunt where there’s a lot of overlapping time periods one of the spots an old timer told me he could walk the beach any day of the year and find 10-15 intact points so just think how many were there a few hundred years before that ... I think the only reason they may not have reused them is if they thought maybe it was bad luck or taboo to use again maybe they would re bury them or relocate them

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This old Basalt Drill is a member of the Great Basin Stemmed Cluster. 9000 - 6000 B.C.

Attachments

• P9022382.JPG
    P9022382.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 68

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one my daddy found on one of our few trips looking together. By the time I got interested in arrowheads, it was getting tough for him to walk long distances. Looks like it was made from a Savannah River to me. I don't have a copy, but I remember looking at Sun Circles and Human Hands many years ago at the illustration showing the sequence of how the large tube pipes were drilled. It showed drilling a pilot hole with a typical what we call a pencil drill, then opening that up with a self-centering reamer that looked like this one, followed by a bigass flint drill that could be started in the countersink. Showing very heavy wear in all the right places, so who knows?

SR drill.jpg SR drill1.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is worn on the base of that piece. Is other edge similar?

Maybe these will help. No real wear on the base. The heaviest is on the shoulders(dot), lessening in the direction of the arrow towards the tip. Equal wear is on both edges shown by the brackets.

detail2.jpg detail1.jpg detail.jpg

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should've said shoulder rather than base. Looks like they could've used it like a reamer. It has seen some heavy use on something

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surface find N. California foothills . A little polish on the tip from use .

Attachments

• IMG_7195.JPG
    IMG_7195.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 46
  • P3022690.JPG
    P3022690.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 76

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here it seems that drills are hard to come by. Here are two that I have found, the basalt one was found in two pieces. I found the first section and two years later I checked out the site and found the other half. The other one is the only complete one other that the one I gave to another member here on tnet.

photo's #a 005.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread