Good Day Digging - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Good Day Digging

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    4311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Private property. Ain't it wonderful. The land belongs to him, and so do the arrowheads within the land. He can do whatever he sees fit to do with them. Private property is one of our most important founding principles. Gary
    Huzzah!, welsbury, T.C. and 3 others like this.

us
    A very young old man

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2161 times
    Relic Hunting
    Nice points and if it's your land I guess you can do as you see fit. I do understand others concern about using a bucket loader to search for artifacts. It's not normally done as careful hand digging may allow a more thorough study of the context of a site. Most of my life I have searched fill dirt brought in to, or fresh construction site excavations for artifacts. I have hundreds from this but zero info on anything that would tell me something about how these people carried out their lives. They were just points disturbed from where they originated. I am not being critical in any way as to your methods. You are obviously in an artifact rich area and most likely all these types of points are known and have been researched for decades. I had worked in Texas some time back and in the Hill Country there were several places that you could go and buy a fresh bucket load to sift through and keep whatever you found. They had a small bucket loader and sifters on site and you paid a fee for however many loads you wanted to sift. I'll admit it was not my cup of tea. I never liked fishing in pay lakes either!
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    and we never even know we have the key. The Eagles

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    306 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    Wow! I wasn't personally attacking you, just the way you are doing it. If you had such a treasured site I would think that you would want to excavate the site for it's historical value. You have some really nice artifacts there and some awesome materials. Wishing you the best in your searching for those elusive points.
    I do excavate the site for the history. We are talking about multiple sites and properties. Sure looks like a personal attack to me.
    southfork and T.C. like this.

us
    Jun 2009
    Florida & Hong Kong
    3100 times
    Texas is completely unique when it comes to relics, digging, land use, etc. What's normal there can be completely shocking to others. You won't be the first person to be taken aback by a Texas sifter dig, and the arguments rarely solve anything.

Pay Digs? Yes, lots of collectors build collections that way. There are a couple of guys who's full time job is finding decent sites, securing a lease, and running digs.

Leasing land to dig for relics? Yes, most of Texas is privately owned, and leases for hunting, digging, etc are all common land uses.

Legal to dig? Yes, Texas has laws lean towards protecting the land owners rights, and if you are the land owner or you have their permission you can do things there that are simply not allowed in many other states. Actually, many Texas based Archaeologists are the friendliest to collectors because they don't freak out that you picked up a rock and have a collection.

Many sites in Central Texas are rock middens, and given the massive deposits of flint/chert, native people made and discarded a lot of tools. It's mind blowing.

Joshua
    southfork, welsbury, T.C. and 4 others like this.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    Nice points and if it's your land I guess you can do as you see fit. I do understand others concern about using a bucket loader to search for artifacts. It's not normally done as careful hand digging may allow a more thorough study of the context of a site. Most of my life I have searched fill dirt brought in to, or fresh construction site excavations for artifacts. I have hundreds from this but zero info on anything that would tell me something about how these people carried out their lives. They were just points disturbed from where they originated. I am not being critical in any way as to your methods. You are obviously in an artifact rich area and most likely all these types of points are known and have been researched for decades. I had worked in Texas some time back and in the Hill Country there were several places that you could go and buy a fresh bucket load to sift through and keep whatever you found. They had a small bucket loader and sifters on site and you paid a fee for however many loads you wanted to sift. I'll admit it was not my cup of tea. I never liked fishing in pay lakes either!
    Well at least you were diplomatic and I see what you are saying. That said you make some of the same mistake old digger made with jumping to conclusions. Every site I dig is different. In past sites I have worked closely with the scientific community. I dare say I have contributed more to science than any individual digger I know. I am very capable of digging a stratified site in layers.

Now for the site the artifacts in this thread came from? The surface rights have long been under contract to a sand and gravel company. We recently learned that it will be mined starting this summer. My digging partner just managed to buy it so we can screen as many of the artifacts out as possible before they end up mixed in concrete and poured on a freeway somewhere.

There have been several folks like the post saying in some how cheating? Still no one had answered who it I'd they think I'm cheating?
    T.C. likes this.

us
    A very young old man

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2161 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Garscale View Post
    Well at least you were diplomatic and I see what you are saying. That said you make some of the same mistake old digger made with jumping to conclusions. Every site I dig is different. In past sites I have worked closely with the scientific community. I dare say I have contributed more to science than any individual digger I know. I am very capable of digging a stratified site in layers.

Now for the site the artifacts in this thread came from? The surface rights have long been under contract to a sand and gravel company. We recently learned that it will be mined starting this summer. My digging partner just managed to buy it so we can screen as many of the artifacts out as possible before they end up mixed in concrete and poured on a freeway somewhere.

There have been several folks like the post saying in some how cheating? Still no one had answered who it I'd they think I'm cheating?
    I jumped to no conclusions as your right to do with your land is in my opinion sacred. There are laws pertaining to burials, middens, Native American rights etc. but I'm sure that's not a concern here. I respect people who try and salvage items before construction erases them forever. Here in Florida that has always been a major problem. I have spent countless hours in the evenings going behind road & bridge construction work in newly disturbed ground. I have found amazing artifacts that would have been lost forever. I have found 2 caches this way, 1 in Ohio & 1 here in Fl. I am on a site right now in down town Sarasota that is producing a lot of fossils and some big sharks teeth. I'm trying to find where the fill came from but so far haven't. Fossil rich dirt in Florida usually means a point is not far behind. Your post at first didn't have much in the way of explanation so people are just curious and asked legitimate questions. Don't get all butthurt, I thought you Texan's were thick skinned? Keep posting.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    306 times
    I jumped to no conclusions as your right to do with your land is in my opinion sacred. There are laws pertaining to burials, middens, Native American rights etc. but I'm sure that's not a concern here. I respect people who try and salvage items before construction erases them forever. Here in Florida that has always been a major problem. I have spent countless hours in the evenings going behind road & bridge construction work in newly disturbed ground. I have found amazing artifacts that would have been lost forever. I have found 2 caches this way, 1 in Ohio & 1 here in Fl. I am on a site right now in down town Sarasota that is producing a lot of fossils and some big sharks teeth. I'm trying to find where the fill came from but so far haven't. Fossil rich dirt in Florida usually means a point is not far behind. Your post at first didn't have much in the way of explanation so people are just curious and asked legitimate questions. Don't get all butthurt, I thought you Texan's were thick skinned? Keep posting.
    Well here we go again. Great post except the end. I don't see the need to qualify what I do. I am Glad to answer questions but there was and maybe still are people making wild jumps in their mind that have nothing to do with the reality of what I do. I'm not butt hurt but being called a cheat and likely a criminal is a personal attack and you can't expect a Texan to tolerate such idiocy.

The only conclusion you jumped to is that my digging disregards preserving history. The truth is in salvaging history on this site that would otherwise be lost. I didn't see your post as a personal attack but the butt hurt line may indicate I miss judged your intent as well.
    Last edited by Garscale; May 16, 2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Toecutter likes this.

us
    Sep 2010
    396 times
    I would consider it cheating myself of a vocation that I cherish.
    I can understand why some have to use pay digs, but turning my own dig into a noisy, gas-chugging, industrialized, production would just cheapen the entire experience. Just my take on it, to each their own and I appreciate that your are saving these from being lost.
    newnan man and Noah_D like this.

Jun 2014
    California
    3035 times
    Garscale glad to see your still on the hunt often wondered if the old peanut machine was still chugging away .

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2020
    New Mexico
    Minelab X-Terra 705
    239 times
    Relic Hunting
    Keep up the good work Gar they are hard to enjoy under a highway.
    sandchip and T.C. like this.

us
    A very young old man

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2161 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Garscale View Post
    Well here we go again. Great post except the end. I don't see the need to qualify what I do. I am Glad to answer questions but there was and maybe still are people making wild jumps in their mind that have nothing to do with the reality of what I do. I'm not butt hurt but being called a cheat and likely a criminal is a personal attack and you can't expect a Texan to tolerate such idiocy.

The only conclusion you jumped to is that my digging disregards preserving history. The truth is in salvaging history on this site that would otherwise be lost. I didn't see your post as a personal attack but the butt hurt line may indicate I miss judged your intent as well.
    It was meant as a joke as the smiley indicated. Belive me I meant no malice. (So don't get butthurt!)
    Noah_D likes this.

us
    A very young old man

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2161 times
    Relic Hunting
    Oh by the way as an afterthought you do need to "qualify" what you do if your going to criticize the response you receive as a result of your posts. If you do criticize then yes you need to qualify in order for us to appreciate what it is you are doing. Keep the pics coming, those are great finds.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    306 times
    Oh by the way as an afterthought you do need to "qualify" what you do if your going to criticize the response you receive as a result of your posts. If you do criticize then yes you need to qualify in order for us to appreciate what it is you are doing. Keep the pics coming, those are great finds.
    I told you I would be glad to answer questions about how I hunt artifacts but to qualify my own methods to someone's else's opinon of "fair" is Rediculous. I mean there was literally a long term member of this treasure hunting forum that stated he felt it was unfair to use a machine to hunt and dig for relics. Now surface hunting is ok but no machine.
    The same guy uses a metal detector(machine?) And then digs the relics. Should I be required to qualify my methods to someone with such a hypocritical stance?
    Last edited by Garscale; May 16, 2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Toecutter likes this.

us
    Mar 2019
    Old Virginny
    Garrett ATX
    338 times
    Free country--Garscale can do what he wants no matter what the rest of us think.

Garscale takes the risk of breaking artifacts, but that is a risk he is willing to accept; and here it has still paid off handsomely. Keep in mind that those artifacts are up for grabs until found--by any means. Each of us is entitled to pursue and procure according to what laws we need to abide by in our locations, and beyond that point it is none of our business what another hunter does.

That said, I'm sure those who disagree with Garscale's method may get more appreciation out of finding one point than Garscale with his industrialized process, but whether that statement is true or not doesn't matter. Free Country.

No matter your method, find them while you can before all these sensitive types make it illegal to search and find for any at all.
    Last edited by Huzzah!; May 16, 2020 at 01:15 PM.
    T.C. likes this.
    Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    306 times
    [QUOTE=Huzzah!;6508316]Free country--Garscale can do what he wants no matter what the rest of us think.

Garscale takes the risk of breaking artifacts, but that is a risk he is willing to accept; and here it has paid off handsomely.

Thanks. By the way... My method of excavating breaks far less than any other digging method.
    sandchip and T.C. like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links