A strong start - season 6

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No. The world's oldest treasure hunt is for the "Holy Grail". (Specifically the chalice of Christ at the Last Supper).

And no, it's not on Oak Island. Or at least there is no credible reason to believe it is.

Agreed, at least in part, (not a chalice though) in this respect Dan Brown was quite correct, and not on Oak Island, but in Nova Scotia, (in my own humble opinion)!

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)
I have reason to believe it [The Holy Grail] is in my cellar under the clothes drier because the lint trap once had three dark globs IN THE SAME ALIGNMENT AS THE STARS IN ORION's BELT.

Prove it isn't.

Prove it is!

THE ADMIRAL has decreed that the basement floor cannot be further violated after the previous and unfortunate Water Heater/Beale Treasure incident. So you'll just have to trust me on this.

rabidus

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. They guys on OI said that Marshall said the initials were LN, just like the stone in front of them. When in actuality, all the stories of Marshall's letter state that he saw the initials JM on the stone.

Yeah, this annoyed the **** out of me. It would be more interesting to me if they said "We found what we are being told is the 90 foot stone. An old document claims there are initials J.M. on it. This one has L.N. instead but we believe the person we bought it from is credible, let's follow up on this. Perhaps when Marshall wrote the account, he misremembered".

Instead, we get an outright lie of Marshall's account. Clearly the show is for the masses that wouldn't fact check any of this. Honestly, I can live with them planting the stone that they acquired elsewhere but outright lying about the contents of historical documents that are easily looked up is beyond stupid.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Exactly.

I know most days, after working the ranch for 15-18 hours, my brain is jello and my memory is a little fuzzy, but this IS season six. Details have been relentlessly drilled into our heads by a repetitive and droning narrator and the fact that only about 15 minutes of the show every week is actually NEW material, the rest being rehashed episodes or historic backstory/story telling.

When it comes right down to it, the WHOLE tale of OI is just that, a Story. Everything else is speculation, side-bar, hopes, and dreams. For all we know the original boys were supposed to not go to the island and were supposed to be staying over at someone's house for a sleepover, and instead got busted after staying out late, sneaking to the island, and getting plastered and came up with the whole story about the depression and tackle and tree to distract from their transgressions.

Maybe there was a treasure, or someone previous had buried a jar of poker winnings from a previous occupation of the island, and the cabbage farmer guy found it, spent it and it's all gone.

Do I hope they find something? Sure. How much fun would that be?! To solve a mystery and see it unfold? Absolutely.

I enjoy seeing the people they meet. I enjoy hearing all the new theories, believable and off-the-wall. I enjoy tagging along when they travel to different locations. And I really enjoy seeing the technology they bring in, whether it's donated to the cause for international facetime/advertising or whether the L brothers/the foundation/investors are paying for it. Do I talk back to the tv arguing points and ideas, sure I do.

As for now it's ALL speculation and that's what driving the whole project. I know what we see is highly edited, so we aren't seeing things in order. We aren't seeing things the first time they're filmed, or even AS they are filmed. I know things are staged. This latest gaff though, actually makes them look sloppy.

OK, back out to toss hay to the herd.

Have a great day guys :)

Yeah, this annoyed the **** out of me. It would be more interesting to me if they said "We found what we are being told is the 90 foot stone. An old document claims there are initials J.M. on it. This one has L.N. instead but we believe the person we bought it from is credible, let's follow up on this. Perhaps when Marshall wrote the account, he misremembered".

Instead, we get an outright lie of Marshall's account. Clearly the show is for the masses that wouldn't fact check any of this. Honestly, I can live with them planting the stone that they acquired elsewhere but outright lying about the contents of historical documents that are easily looked up is beyond stupid.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought last night's Smith Cove finds were interesting. The numbered timbers were interesting, and few can argue that they were planted 20 feet down so they could be conveniently uncovered.

fordstan007

Jan 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at what they say is the 90 foot stone, it seems obvious to me that the initials "LN" is actually LIV - the roman numeral for 54.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
I thought last night's Smith Cove finds were interesting. The numbered timbers were interesting, and few can argue that they were planted 20 feet down so they could be conveniently uncovered.
Came across this while looking for how far down they dug to find those timbers. (6 feet under the mud) Old photos from the air make it look just like a protective jetty put in for small boats.

Robert Dunfield excavation gallery | Oak Island Treasure

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Adding in, the logs may be 20 below the vertical level of the dry beach, but they are less than 6 feet below the surface of the now exposed mud. That website is a cool thing to dig around in. Several dead link on it, but just look at how the islands was stripped of everything with large equipment at the time, large scale archaeological contamination. What a mess.

Editing to finish an earlier thought.

The roman numerals on the logs doesn't surprise me in the least. This is a dam/jetty/ breakwater that was built and assembled on dry land, numbered so it could be quickly reassembled when the tide was out with each log in the correct location. Lincoln logs meets prefeb house, meets legos.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last two episodes totally jumped the shark. The scripted reality show becomes more obvious with each new episode as they are running out of material and rehashing old scripts and ideas. Smiths cove has been completely dug up several times with only common items being found. The "flood tunnel" fairy tail was proven to be a hoax many years ago as mass excavations failed to find any. The jumping back to templar/bacon/other make believe story lines peaked with the supposition that the pirate skull and cross bones was a symbol related to bacon/templars/or whatever one wishes to interject.

A "90 foot engraved stone" was never found. One was only produced when folks were seeking investors hoping to hook them with the new mysterious stone.

An lastly, its easy to see that its all the actors can do to keep from bursting out laughing when someone makes a profound statement.

So funny when a drill core pulls up wood and everyone gets excited......just more wood scraps from all of the previous searches that was dumped back into the holes they dug.

No "money pit" with oak platforms and water traps has ever existed on the island. That fact is proven by 200 years of excavations that have only discovered that an island near the ocean has natural underground water passages...

rabidus

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. Although the structure has been dug up twice (3 times?) before, each time it was interrupted. Their giant coffer dam this time should hold and we'll get to see what the entire structure looks like. I'm with others that it was pre-built on land and the roman numerals are just markers. This was common practice well into the 20th century. It's likely a wharf or dry dock structure or something built by the British. Historically interesting at any rate.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Although the structure has been dug up twice (3 times?) before, each time it was interrupted. Their giant coffer dam this time should hold and we'll get to see what the entire structure looks like. I'm with others that it was pre-built on land and the roman numerals are just markers. This was common practice well into the 20th century. It's likely a wharf or dry dock structure or something built by the British. Historically interesting at any rate.

Looks Roman to me :dontknow:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting to see how much of whatever it is, is still there to figure out what it is or was used for.. and does the depth of it mean that back whenever it was built that was on top of ground so there has been 10' or more of erosion over the years till it was first found. ( not sure when the first person found it right off hand )

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is disappointing that they feel the need to lie about the 90 ft stone. I see they did not say in front of Laird that the stone was reported to have LN initials (he seems to have integrity and would know the actual story). The guy only said initials were carved. It the people doing the voice over that continue to lie to the audience. I just do not understand why. The stone would be interesting with the truth..

The claim that piece of cheap jewelry they found had been dated to 700 years ago is just rubbish. One person said the style of something on it (or looked like) was used then...

The Smiths Cove excavation is really what I have wanted to see. Must say I can not believe that wood is hundreds of years old.. Looks in pretty good condition to me...

Looking forward to the rest of the excavation BUT I do wish they would stop telling lies....

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The show exaggerates many things and entertains too many wild theories but I don't think the Lagina's allow the show to be completely fraudulent.

My take on the stone is this. The Oak Island Treasure Company had a stone in the book binder's window while they were trying to raise funds. The stone was described by Harry W. Marshall as "..some lad had put his initials "J.M." on one corner, but apart from this there was no evidence of any inscription either cut or printed on the stone.".

It is very possible that Marshall wrote this years later and thought he recalled the initials as J.M. but they were actually L.N. It wasn't an affidavit, just a letter. If the show just created this stone as a fake, they would have put J.M. on it as that is the only written description of the stone.

Obviously, it is preposterous that the Lagina's went back to the building and happened to find the stone in the basement. Rumor has it that they acquired the stone from a private owner. For whatever reason, Prometheus didn't think this was exciting enough so staged "finding" the stone where it was last publicly seen. You can tell this because the guys on the show aren't actors and that was as unnatural a scene as could be.

So I think it's reasonable to assume that the stone they "found" is in fact, the "90 foot stone" that was at A&H Creighton. However, that stone was likely not the "real" 90 ft. stone and instead, just something used to help raise funds. In all probability, there never actual was a stone found in the money pit.

Dang beat me to the punch! I have sources that told me this 3 years ago. They were in negotiations during all this time as the family that owned the stone:

A. wanted serious money for it

and

B. Did not want ANY publicity.

From what I gathered, Prometheus wanted the events to unfold naturally with the family that owned the stone appearing on the show and getting involved but the family didn't want to be on TV.

So, this stone is either the real thing OR it was another stone used for beating leather. I will leave you with that.

More info from me to come later :)

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is starting to get silly. I will never believe it now.

Oh it has these letters on it, no it has these. They are engraved no, they are embossed. Total BS!

Cant wait to see what silly BS they dish out when the Lydar(or whatever it was called) radar does its 3d mapping of the rock.

Those images with the ancient carvings are hard to get rid of from the mind... especially the 2 million part. Dont they have a replica in the museum of the image they always show on TV?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have a replica in the museum of the image they always show on TV?
I do not think there ever was even a "fake" stone with the "alleged" inscription that anyone actually ever saw. The only report EVER of someone seeing that particular inscription that was translated was given on a prospectus to attract investors. The actual stone was never shown.

“The 90 Foot mark was a flat stone, about three feet long and 16 inches wide. On it marks or characters had been cut. Afterwards it was placed in the jamb of a fireplace that Mr. Smith was building in his house, and while there was viewed by thousands of people. Many years afterwards, it was taken out of the chimney and taken to Halifax to have, if possible, the characters deciphered. On expert gave his reading of the inscriptions as follows: “Ten feet below are two million pounds buried.” We give this statement for what it is worth, but by no means claim that this is the correct interpretation. Apart from this however, the fact remains that the history and description of the stone as given above has never been disputed.”

- Source: Oak Island Treasure Company Prospectus, published in 1893 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA

It is the last line that probably generated the "fake story". It gives as fact that others had seen this inscription. There are ZERO reports anywhere of this being the case.

All the later reports are just based on what was said in the prospectus.

All other earlier reports do not have a "readable code" on the stone.

Have the Laginas done no research on the stone at all... Or are they just happy to b*ll Sh*t us all now.

These last two episodes have now shown that what they say cannot be trusted. They are lying and know that these are lies.

How can we now know if that lead cross was actually found in smiths Cove. They moved the stone location to make a better story why not the cross....

Did they ever really find human bone fragments in the pit?... Who knows now... The fact that the rest of the two skeletons have not been found suggests this evidence may have been planted/moved...

The FACT that they have now resorted to easily provable lies is very sad for all of us interested in the actual history/mystery of oak Island. What the Laginas now find need to be somewhat discounted...

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks Roman to me :dontknow:
=======
I don't believe many doubt the numbers being "Roman" numeral, but that in itself does not necessary mean the logs are Roman in nature. I tend to agree with rabidus and some others that this may be part of a dry dock which was first pre-built on dry land. Even today we use Roman numerals so I just can't make the Roman connection at this point. This is my humble opinion and not trying to force feed this to anyone, just an observation. I am open to any information and ideas. :notworthy:

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
So the iron cross was found in Smith's Cove. The same cove that was excavated by large machinery 3 times to a depth of at least 6 feet below the mud line.
For those of us that do underwater and beach MDing, we know that's NOT how things work in regard to erosion and artifacts. They actually sink deeper. They aren't toss on the beach to be later uncovered 12 inches or less deep. UNLESS that iron cross is from somewhere else on the island and mixed with the back fill and put back at at higher level.

Also, It is NOT uncommon to add meaningful objects at the end of, or during a construction project to give it good luck/fulfill superstitions. It is also possible that it is just a crudely made cross by a previous tenant of the island, or dock worker, and the leather cord broke and down it went.

Bad editing, making them look bad again. HUGE trip to France, focusing on the drawing on the tower cross, then they go back and surprise, surprise a cross that looks similar to the one on the wall, just happens to be found on the beach.

Eh, like I said, entertainment.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Roman numerals are/were commonly used in the lumbering industry. It's a series of quick strokes with a hatchet or chisel. No chipped out and time consuming curves, no confusion. Straight lines, clear and concise. Some of the numerals like the IV and III were deep and made with a chisel. The VII was made with swings of a hatchet. Maybe they lost the chisel by the time they got to the 7, maybe they were sick of making numbers for something that was only needed momentarily.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone had posted a video clip of the OI team moving that 90' stone with just their fingers, I wonder, is this the same stone that the LIDAR was used on, or do they have another stone sitting in the wings ? ? ? If so, how much did it cost to get those guys to go along with History Channel ? If that video is 100% authentic, it shows the length that History Channel will go to deceive viewers. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread