A strong start - season 6

rabidus

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What theory? I said Dunfield uncovered the logs at the tide line, poked around, then dismissed them as non sequitur and covered them back up. If they were placed in 1849 that doesn't discount that they have no direct relationship to any treasure.

There has been centuries of activity on the Island that is NOT treasure related as well. French, British, probably loggers and fishermen, still are people living on the Island.

My theory is still my original proposed in 2014 - any sub-surface features are natural or the result of searchers since 1795. Kids found a glacial kettle and the rest is a futile search for imaginary treasure.

This has been my belief for a long time as well. The only thing that makes me pause is John Wonnacott, a notable engineer is on record saying they're man made. Crowell (before he was compromised by the show) and Helcock interviewed him on their blog. He goes so far as to defend his position against a geologist and some other pretty knowledgeable dude in the comments of the article. At any rate, the guy doesn't seem like a crack pot and has the credentials. Makes me curious at the very least.

Here's his credentials

Mr. Wonnacott (he prefers John) began his career as a military engineer in the Canadian Armed Forces, overseeing engineering and construction projects, and rising to the rank of Major by the time he finished serving. He has worked as a field engineer on such private sector projects as the Alaska Highway Gas Pipeline project, and managed construction projects for JD Irving Limited. He was awarded the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers’ Award for Engineering Excellence for his work as Deputy Project Manager for the Diavik Diamond Mines north of Yellowknife, Canada.

Here's the article

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...support-a-man-made-flood-tunnel-on-oak-island

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A glacial kettle is a little different than glacial till. A kettle is formed when a chunk of ice falls as the glacier receeds and is buried in the till. When the ice melts - maybe over centuries - it leaves a hole. Sometimes a pocket of water. And that either stays a hole or, more often, the overlaying soil collapses into the void and the water percolates up. They can be a big as a lake or as small as a garage.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info from Charlie on the glacial kettle! :occasion14:

Curious if b3y0nd3r could let us know where he found this:
Look at this account 1849:

"Believing now that the flooding tunnels were connected to the sea, men scoured the island's shores. At an area known as Smith's Cove, they found a fascinating structure. The company built a temporary dam, called a cofferdam, to uncover a large overlay made of coconut husk, 145 feet wide and the length of space between low tide and high tide. Underneath the coconut husk was a layer of beach stones five feet deep. Beneath the beach stones were five finger-drains constructed of flat stones, converging into a single drain. The coconut husk worked as a barrier against sand to allow water into the drains."

Wondering who wrote that.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Good info from Charlie on the glacial kettle! :occasion14:

Curious if b3y0nd3r could let us know where he found this:

"Believing now that the flooding tunnels were connected to the sea, men scoured the island's shores. At an area known as Smith's Cove, they found a fascinating structure. The company built a temporary dam, called a cofferdam, to uncover a large overlay made of coconut husk, 145 feet wide and the length of space between low tide and high tide. Underneath the coconut husk was a layer of beach stones five feet deep. Beneath the beach stones were five finger-drains constructed of flat stones, converging into a single drain. The coconut husk worked as a barrier against sand to allow water into the drains."

Wondering who wrote that.

HERE: https://people.howstuffworks.com/oak-island2.htm

This is the generally know account of the box drains. I used the above as it was the most succinct.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If this was made up, it is the most imaginative and detailed description I've ever scene for it's time. Why not claim other materials to use as a filter? Why claim there was a layer of beach stones above the box drains(Which is an added filter)? It appears to be a designed structure for a specific purpose...if true.

Fictional statements from folks seeking more money to profit from while keeping useless searches financed. “Imaginative and detailed” descriptions have been used in fictional stories since the beginning of mankind. Star Trek writers wrote detailed descriptions about warp drive in the 60’s without any scientific basis.

No flood tunnels have ever been found, no 10 foot log platforms in a hole have ever been found, and no cryptic 90 foot stone was ever found. The term “original depositors” is fictional as well...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE: https://people.howstuffworks.com/oak-island2.htm

This is the generally know account of the box drains. I used the above as it was the most succinct.

Yet the Truro company did not keep any evidence of their find nor did they excavate the tunnels inward towards the imaginary money pit.

Just a news release at the time so that they could obtain more investor money.....

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Fictional statements from folks seeking more money to profit from while keeping useless searches financed. “Imaginative and detailed” descriptions have been used in fictional stories since the beginning of mankind. Star Trek writers wrote detailed descriptions about warp drive in the 60’s without any scientific basis.

No flood tunnels have ever been found, no 10 foot log platforms in a hole have ever been found, and no cryptic 90 foot stone was ever found. The term “original depositors” is fictional as well...

I agree. But that story wouldn't attract anyone. If they were going to make something up, it would have been way more embellished.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You say those items weren't found as if it is a FACT, and you know you can't prove it, just as I know I can't prove other wise but if there were the logs every ten feet, they would be long gone and used for building/bracing stuff along the way in the search... Granted no flood tunnel has ever been found but that doesn't not mean it wasn't there at one time and possibly caved in during the many digs. 90' stone may have have not been found in the pit but I do believe there was atleast one faked way back when. May or may not be the stone they currently have...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. But that story wouldn't attract anyone. If they were going to make something up, it would have been way more embellished.

I like how most stories are sold with 1 more day and we will get it or 10 more feet and we will have it!!
I think the Brooklyn Bridge is a better deal! :occasion14:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say those items weren't found as if it is a FACT, and you know you can't prove it, just as I know I can't prove other wise but if there were the logs every ten feet, they would be long gone and used for building/bracing stuff along the way in the search... Granted no flood tunnel has ever been found but that doesn't not mean it wasn't there at one time and possibly caved in during the many digs. 90' stone may have have not been found in the pit but I do believe there was atleast one faked way back when. May or may not be the stone they currently have...

No material evidence has ever been presented that suggests that the flood tunnels, 10' log platforms, 90' stone, etc... ever existed. No material evidence had ever been presented that indicates that the entire treasure legend on Oak Island is anything more than a story. THAT is a fact.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it extremely difficult that anyone can still believe all that sea water they keep finding in those natural underground cavities is coming from flood tunnels and not just that those cavities are connected to the ocean. If that water is not from flood tunnels then it would of been IMPOSSSIBLE to dig a 200 foot hole and not be drowned..

As for the claim that those ice holes could be more flood tunnels. It would of been impossible to dig tunnels there as that part of the ocean is never out of the water.

iceholes.PNG

Even today I doubt it could be done... There is no way it could of been done 100s of years ago with just basic tools.

If the water in the money pit holes was from Smith Cove flood tunnels the laginas coffer dam would of now stopped the water getting into the pit so it now could be drained/pumped out. The water level should now be falling as the water starts to drain away now they are no longer getting water from the flood tunnels.

As stated by others NO EVIDENCE of flood tunnels connected to the pit has ever been found. But every hole they have dug anywhere even vagely near the pit has flooded and filled with water. Money pit, cave in pit 10x and everyhole dug by the Laginas....

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cornish Miners...Would have no problem...Digging down...In the Soil of...Oak Island!

I find it extremely difficult that anyone can still believe all that sea water they keep finding in those natural underground cavities is coming from flood tunnels and not just that those cavities are connected to the ocean. If that water is not from flood tunnels then it would of been IMPOSSSIBLE to dig a 200 foot hole and not be drowned..

Cornish Tin Miner.jpg

The Soil of Oak Island...from what we are lead to believe...By the Pin Cushions of Holes left around the Money Pit...Is very conducent to digging...Without hitting water!

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...support-a-man-made-flood-tunnel-on-oak-island

It would be of interest to settle this once and for all...by having the Laginas drill a 200 foot Hole away from the area of the Money Pit...and test it... If there is water in this Shaft.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what Borehole 10X was (the one the brothers are futzing in).

A hole away from the original Money Pit.

It filled with water. But hit bedrock some 137 feet down instead of 200 ft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what Borehole 10X was (the one the brothers are futzing in).

A hole away from the original Money Pit.

It filled with water. But hit bedrock some 137 feet down instead of 200 ft.
Also the cave in pit was 100 or so metres from the money pit. It flooded. There has not been a single hole dug by anyone to a depth below a 100 or so feet that has not flooded...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well there you have it. A nice sketch drawn from imagination that produced not a thing.

And how did they get through that "Iron Plate" at 158.2 feet? And where is that now?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No material evidence has ever been presented that suggests that the flood tunnels, 10' log platforms, 90' stone, etc... ever existed. No material evidence had ever been presented that indicates that the entire treasure legend on Oak Island is anything more than a story. THAT is a fact.

Why would the original 3 needed to lie about finding logs every 10'.. As I've said before surely no one thinks those logs would still be around 100's of years later just to prove they were there. Even if they were some of ya'll would say they are fakes, or not where they were found etc etc...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would the original 3 needed to lie about finding logs every 10'.. As I've said before surely no one thinks those logs would still be around 100's of years later just to prove they were there. Even if they were some of ya'll would say they are fakes, or not where they were found etc etc...
It is very hard to know what the original guys found. The first meida reports are decades later. It is not until 1856 that the first reports of the pit are made

The earliest known story of a treasure find by a settler named Daniel McGinnis first appeared in print in 1856, while excavation information regarding the Onslow and later Truro Company weren't published until the early 1860s. A lot of the following early accounts are thus word of mouth stories going back to the late eighteenth-century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island_mystery

The pit itself was "allegedly" first found and dug in 1799... Therefore it is 57 years later that the first documentary reports of the pit are made.. That is a very long time to know if the reports are accurate or just folk law/myth.

If the guys were in their early 20s when they found the pit they would of been over 75 when the first media reports of the pit were made (or dead)..

Therefore it cannot be just assumed the later reports are accurate. These reports are just based on retold oral stories and are not direct reports from the original finders...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread