A strong start - season 6

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Augmented Reality" is being bridged to "Augmented Bunkum"

"Priceless" garnet set in base metal was what I saw. 4 karat one now would run you $20.00 on ebaY.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Augmented Reality" is being bridged to "Augmented Bunkum"

"Priceless" garnet set in base metal was what I saw. 4 karat one now would run you $20.00 on ebaY.
Ha ha... Now that is what I call a AWESOMELLY BAD Return on Investment....

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Occam's razor is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the correct one... That metal prong/point is an almost exact match the central prong on a old gigging spear

View attachment 1657685

Why would you not eliminate that before jumping to conclusion its a part of an old roman weapon. It makes no sense...

The only thing that episode told us was they could not find the cavity that the sonic map said is there...

What is the point in researching if the Templars come to Oak Island to bury treasure if there is no buried treasure?..... Surely you find the treasure and then try to work out who hid it....

It's a fake Roman Spear to go with the fake Roman Sword :spam4:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fake Roman Spear to go with the fake Roman Sword :spam4:

Brought in on a Ship Nailed together with Railroad Spikes
in the year 1 driven by Poseidon?

Last edited:

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that looking at the spear/crossbow thingie disturbing .....there is no edge that I can tell on the tip . Its square looking to me , not sharp ... to me (if it was chrome) it looks like a piece from a George Foreman rotisserie . s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Yeah, but where do you fins a "filter" like that? I have heard opof "rose colored glasses" . . . but c'mon.

Simple. gazzahk was the "treasure hunt" filter, when he should have been using the "professional wrestling" filter.

The "treasure hunter" filter assumes that a team of fairly intelligent people keep getting fooled by seemingly obvious things. This is possible, but it implies a nearly unbelievable amount of confirmation bias, particularly when it's spread over a group of people with presumably different beliefs. The "professional wrestling" filter assumes that they know damned well that they're finding junk and that there probably is no treasure, and that the only people being tricked here (some knowingly, some not, but all are entertained by the process) are the audience.

When viewing their activities through the "professional wrestling" filter, one would expect that they would have a strong financial incentive not to find the treasure, and an equally strong financial incentive to find interesting and possibly compelling but completely inconclusive evidence along the way on a somewhat regular basis. And if the finds are not interesting or compelling...well, then they will have to be made interesting and compelling, even if it involves intentional misidentification. (Perhaps ideally involving misidentification, as that generates hype and hype gets people watching.)

Hasn't this been the entirety of the show so far, not counting filler material?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh. Kind of like a combination of Love Goggles, Beer Goggles and a whole lot of gullibility.

Gotcha.

But then I watched Gillighan's Island for years and I knew they were never going to get off the island.

Maybe The Curse of Oak Island needs a laugh track.

"A piece of wood? On an island?" "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope they do a proper honest job on they exploration of Smith Cove. I am fascinated in the story and do not believe they have to lie to make it watchbale.

The problem (Well one major problem) for this season is the volume of episodes. There just is not 30 hours of material worth showing...

I do not believe the rubbish about the "2000 year old roman spear" is aimed at making the show more watchable or more a treasure show no matter what goggles you look at it through.. No one is that gullible. It was just a mistake. They make any other claims just a joke if they are going to persist with a narrative that the Romans visited OI 2000 years ago....

There is only so much BS that anyone can be fed.... Maybe they can fix the problems of this series with some more water....

water-solves-all-problems-want-to-lose-weight-drink-water-5859263.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A close up look at their metal stake

OI-stake.jpg

1. Does not look like a spear point. Flat and square-ish not sharp
2. Does not look 2000 years old (Meant to be buried in dirt/water etc for that time period)

How could ANYONE conclude that is a 2000 year old roman spear.....

Here is a REAL example of an Ancient Roman Pilum

5e951b73-bf5d-4814-9333-ac8011a69f6b.jpg

The similarities are just AMAZING.....

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I Wish The Show Would Display Their Finds...Prior To Opening Their Mouths!

It looks more and more like a Fishing Pike!

Here is one that sold on Ebay about the same time period.

Fishing Pike.jpg

Antique Fishing Spear Head Primitive Iron Eel Spear Fishing Tool Cabin Decor

Overview

• Vintage item from the 1930s
  • Material: iron

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Ahhhh. Kind of like a combination of Love Goggles, Beer Goggles and a whole lot of gullibility.

Gotcha.

Not at all. How many people watch professional wrestling and think that it's real? Some do, and it's kind of presented that way, but with a wink and a nod. The folks that produce both professional wrestling and reality TV ultimately don't care whether or not you believe it. They only care that you watch it. The nod to realism is just that, a nod. If you understand that it's all horse apples, well, that's fine...just as long as you continue to watch it and talk about it.

The product being sold is entertainment. The people watching it are being entertained, at least in a way, or else they wouldn't watch it. I personally know a few people that are far more skeptical about Oak Island than I am that watch this show religiously and then complain about it constantly. The producers don't care about what those people think. They care about what those people are watching. Gullibility is not a requirement. Consumption is the requirement.

In the age of worldwide social media, "reality" TV (as in an at least partially scripted show that's presented as being organic and on the fly) is some seriously scary stuff. I'm not sure that even the people producing this stuff know what they are capable of doing.

I just hope they do a proper honest job on they exploration of Smith Cove. I am fascinated in the story and do not believe they have to lie to make it watchbale.

If you view it through the "professional wrestling" filter (which as far as I can tell, has been accurate since the show's beginning), do you think that they will do an honest job of anything if it is not something that increases or maintains viewer numbers?

Remember: with this filter, the goal is not to find treasure. The goal is to get people to watch a TV show. Always keep this in the back of your mind when you're watching television, whether you're watching reality TV, professional wrestling, perusing the news, or even watching competitive sporting events, where this should not be an issue but it often is anyway. You may find that things just start making more sense all over the place, and it's not because of some hideously evil plot hatched by the government or some other monstrous entity; it's merely capitalism in motion. The content producers have figured out what sells, so that's what they're peddling. Twenty years ago it was sitcoms. Today it's this. It will be something else ten or twenty or one hundred years from now. I don't like the cliche "it is what it is" (of course it is what it is, WTF would it be otherwise?), but that's what it is. Take this into account as you live your life.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The problem (Well one major problem) for this season is the volume of episodes. There just is not 30 hours of material worth showing...

I do not believe the rubbish about the "2000 year old roman spear" is aimed at making the show more watchable or more a treasure show no matter what goggles you look at it through.. No one is that gullible. It was just a mistake. They make any other claims just a joke if they are going to persist with a narrative that the Romans visited OI 2000 years ago....

There is only so much BS that anyone can be fed.... Maybe they can fix the problems of this series with some more water....

View attachment 1658566

I have read a lot of books about the Romans, Egyptians and even Africans visiting the US coastline a couple hundred years or more before Christopher Columbus.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you view it through the "professional wrestling" filter (which as far as I can tell, has been accurate since the show's beginning), do you think that they will do an honest job of anything if it is not something that increases or maintains viewer numbers?
lol.. I am not as cynical as you... Up to end of season 4 I thought they where generally looking for treasure. They may of thought there was virtually no chance of finding one.. But it may have been there.. Or at least evidence of it. When they had the old ladies tell the family history and the "possible" treasure that was found... I thought that put a nice full stop on Oak Island..

Season 5 was not necessary and did not add much.. Other then just making 100% sure nothing was there with the pattern drilling and heaps of big holes. They had POVED nothing was there...

I am afraid that you might be right for season 6.......

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all. How many people watch professional wrestling and think that it's real? Some do, and it's kind of presented that way, but with a wink and a nod. The folks that produce both professional wrestling and reality TV ultimately don't care whether or not you believe it. They only care that you watch it. The nod to realism is just that, a nod. If you understand that it's all horse apples, well, that's fine...just as long as you continue to watch it and talk about it.

The product being sold is entertainment. The people watching it are being entertained, at least in a way, or else they wouldn't watch it. I personally know a few people that are far more skeptical about Oak Island than I am that watch this show religiously and then complain about it constantly. The producers don't care about what those people think. They care about what those people are watching. Gullibility is not a requirement. Consumption is the requirement.

In the age of worldwide social media, "reality" TV (as in an at least partially scripted show that's presented as being organic and on the fly) is some seriously scary stuff. I'm not sure that even the people producing this stuff know what they are capable of doing.

Remember: with this filter, the goal is not to find treasure. The goal is to get people to watch a TV show. Always keep this in the back of your mind when you're watching television, whether you're watching reality TV, professional wrestling, perusing the news, or even watching competitive sporting events, where this should not be an issue but it often is anyway. You may find that things just start making more sense all over the place, and it's not because of some hideously evil plot hatched by the government or some other monstrous entity; it's merely capitalism in motion. The content producers have figured out what sells, so that's what they're peddling. Twenty years ago it was sitcoms. Today it's this. It will be something else ten or twenty or one hundred years from now. I don't like the cliche "it is what it is" (of course it is what it is, WTF would it be otherwise?), but that's what it is. Take this into account as you live your life.

I have a few relatives that were involved in professional wrestling , it is real to a certain extent by both wrestlers working together to make the action believable to the audience.... One performs the move/hold in a way that no harm is done . The other "sells" the pain and the move. Most of them perform the same match several times a week to different crowds in different towns. The goal is to put paying customers in the seats and give them a show that they can believe.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I have a few relatives that were involved in professional wrestling , it is real to a certain extent by both wrestlers working together to make the action believable to the audience.... One performs the move/hold in a way that no harm is done . The other "sells" the pain and the move. Most of them perform the same match several times a week to different crowds in different towns. The goal is to put paying customers in the seats and give them a show that they can believe.

Let me clarify something here: when I use the term "professional wrestling filter," I'm not making fun of professional wrestling, nor the people that work in that industry. They are incredible athletes that put on incredible performances. When I link pro wrestling to reality TV, I'm doing so because of the parallels between them. And there are many parallels.

I'm merely explaining a method for thinking through the confusing parts of reality, and offering one tool in particular for making sense of this Oak Island show. I may be incorrect. I cannot read minds and can not know for sure what the Laginas or their producers are thinking. What I can do is frame a set of assumptions around a confusing situation and see if that answers my questions. In this case, the pro wrestling filter adequately explains things for me.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot of books about the Romans, Egyptians and even Africans visiting the US coastline a couple hundred years or more before Christopher Columbus.

Don't believe everything you read. People have made a lot of money publishing books filled with nonsense.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me clarify something here: when I use the term "professional wrestling filter," I'm not making fun of professional wrestling, nor the people that work in that industry. They are incredible athletes that put on incredible performances. When I link pro wrestling to reality TV, I'm doing so because of the parallels between them. And there are many parallels.

I'm merely explaining a method for thinking through the confusing parts of reality, and offering one tool in particular for making sense of this Oak Island show. I may be incorrect. I cannot read minds and can not know for sure what the Laginas or their producers are thinking. What I can do is frame a set of assumptions around a confusing situation and see if that answers my questions. In this case, the pro wrestling filter adequately explains things for me.

there was no offense taken Dave, I was merely pointing out that it takes many many people to put on a show and make it believable , they all have certain jobs to do . If one drops the ball then there is less credibility because the story has less continuity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread