OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Yeah, there's a few of us around, heheheh! Take a peek around the site, lots of good info for newcomers and veterans alike. I know I've learned alot and got some very good help from the fine people on this site. :)

danny64

Jan 7, 2007
alot of good stuff on this site i like it. i went out today and found some clad but the ground was froze lol

G

Gone_Bananas

Hey, everyone. Been reading the posts here. Lot of good information. I live in Springfield and started prospecting last year. Only found about 1/4 ounce, but better than nothing. I've been going up Champion Creek. Hope to find more this year, but want to go to southern Oregon sometime for better gold. Got the usual pans, sluice box, etc. Just finished building my highbanker. Got an older Minelab XT18000 detector (about 10 years old), and an old White's Coinmaster Supreme. It still works pretty good, although it's heavier than heck. Thanks for all the info. I'll keep reading and learning. Lots of gold and treasure to you all! And Happy New Year!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Since you already know Champion pretty good, try this out, it worked good for me. Grab yourself a long prybar, the one's they make for removing roofing work pretty good. Start moving boulders. I've moved boulders weighing a ton or two several feet in minutes with one. Use a metal rake and rake away all the loose stuff, then start your sluicing. Clear a good patch of bedrock and look for cracks. Use your prybar and bust them open. I got a nice little slug about two pennyweight up there doing this. Way down deep in those cracks is where you'll find the good stuff.

These came from Champion if I remember correctly, LOL!

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,381

nugets4me

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Albany,Or.
Hey Jeffro hope all is well old friend , just came on and read the reply you gave and thought - that person should also learn about the cracks in the bed rock that crosses those creeks as well! ::) While their at it they should and could if so inclined , considering some have an adversion to cold water ( Like me , but still get out there to find it ) look in those little holes in the solid bed rock ! Ok give me your input guys! And no I'm no newbee!!!!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I haven't found much myself in those wearholes, but they seem like they should be good collectors. Maybe where I was they were getting hit every year or something? Maybe they just get swept out, too. I know the rocks tumble around in them because of the water action (thats how they form), maybe that grinds up the gold as well? I dunno, pure speculation....

When you're looking for cracks, look for a line of rocks that extends across the creek. Larger cracks get rocks imbedded in them longways, impeding the travel of rocks behind them. Then you get a stairstep. Start looking at the banks on both sides, take a look for two different rock types coming together, obvious cracks in the bank, or veins that may have worn out underwater. If a couple or more of these instances occur, you may have a good crack under that stairstep.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nashoba and I have been talking, and we're gonna do this thing. Look for a get together probably in late April. I hope all of you can join us! :)

No details as of yet, we have areas to go look at. We know where there's good gold, but we wanna scope out some other possibilities like old camps, cabins, ghost towns and such to provide a little something for everybody.

Anybody got any suggestions or other input on something like this?

danny64

Jan 7, 2007
went up to ceder creek thare was a lot of snow up thare. the roads up thare are froze you all have a good 1

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
danny64 said:
went up to ceder creek thare was a lot of snow up thare. the roads up thare are froze you all have a good 1
Man it HADE to be one cold trip up THARE!
lol
~Nash~

Ldy2Blu

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2007
My goodness Jeffro, you are a plethora of information. Self proclaimed Newbie here as well. Received a MD for Christmas and have been having one heck of a great time with it. Haven't found much, but have enjoyed every minute of my "hunts".
I live between Coos Bay and Winchester Bay, on the coast, and wonder if there are any areas in my backyard (so to speak) that may be worth exploring. Thus far I have hit the summer camping sites out in the sand dunes with minimal luck. I LOVE the thrill of the hunt though!! ;)
If you could point me in a specific direction locally, I would be very much appreciative.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Ldy2Blu said:
My goodness Jeffro, you are a plethora of information. Self proclaimed Newbie here as well. Received a MD for Christmas and have been having one heck of a great time with it. Haven't found much, but have enjoyed every minute of my "hunts".
I live between Coos Bay and Winchester Bay, on the coast, and wonder if there are any areas in my backyard (so to speak) that may be worth exploring. Thus far I have hit the summer camping sites out in the sand dunes with minimal luck. I LOVE the thrill of the hunt though!! ;)
If you could point me in a specific direction locally, I would be very much appreciative.

Hit Da beaches! They pay for sure! I am up in Seaside myself...most of the time. I run back and forth from here to Longview WA. Might I suggest you get out to a few kiddie parks. They are wonderful experience for getting to know your machine! I hit one today and there is no doubt it has never been detected. If it has, it was long LONG ago because it was like digging change from a bank drawer!

And another thing.....You cannot go wrong Listening to Jeffros advice. He's like a walking treasure map I swear!

Happy hunting,
~Nash~

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ldy2Blu said:

Here's a good one to check out, Fort Umpqua http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,24765.0.html
I gave the info to Lone Gunman awhile back, but he has since moved to Nevada, I think. I don't think he ever got to it.
Exact coordinates are Lat. 43.70278 Long. -124.1675 A good GPS will put you right on top of it. Be prepared for a long hike, or rent a buggy for the day.

There are three villages on the east side of the town of Winchester bay. One is in the SW 1/4 of section 7, one is in the SW 1/4 of the NE 1/4 section 7, and one is in the center top of section 13 or the bottom center of section 6. You'll need a USGS quad map for Winchester Bay to find these.

The ghost town of Henryville (1874) was located on the south side of Isthmus slough, midway between Coos city bridge and Delmar.

These are more exotic sites to go and check out. As someone new to the hobby, I would recommend spending some time on T'net to get tips and suggestions, plenty of time at your local parks and schools to get to know your machine, and plenty of patience.... LOL!

These sites aren't going anywhere, they'll be there when you get ready.

Ldy2Blu

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2007
Thank you so much, both of you, for your swift replies!! Kiddie parks, hmm...who would have thought. :)
I look forward to researching the in's and out's of MD'ing here on T'net, checking out the areas you've mentioned, and getting to know those of you here as well. Thanks again for your input!!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
;D

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't nail it down so easily, eh? ;D After all, if you don't spend the time researching this stuff for yourself, it's like having it handed to you, LOL!

On that particular site, it just so happens I spent alot of time researching and narrowing it down before I actually located the site. I'll probably never get there, at least in the next 10 years, so someone else may as well reap the benefits, eh? Just leave a little for me.... ;)

Speaking of which, I encourage all of you that I give these leads out to, to research them on your own. In most cases, I give out general clues and locales so that hopefully you will learn as you go, it makes it much more interesting. It is also important to look into the laws that apply to these sites. And always, above all else, be safe out there. I'd feel pretty bad if someone got hurt trying to get somewhere I led them to!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread