TOO many leads

Jeffro said:
;D

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't nail it down so easily, eh? ;D After all, if you don't spend the time researching this stuff for yourself, it's like having it handed to you, LOL!

On that particular site, it just so happens I spent alot of time researching and narrowing it down before I actually located the site. I'll probably never get there, at least in the next 10 years, so someone else may as well reap the benefits, eh? Just leave a little for me.... ;)

Speaking of which, I encourage all of you that I give these leads out to, to research them on your own. In most cases, I give out general clues and locales so that hopefully you will learn as you go, it makes it much more interesting. It is also important to look into the laws that apply to these sites. And always, above all else, be safe out there. I'd feel pretty bad if someone got hurt trying to get somewhere I led them to!

I have been researching the Seaside area quite a bit Jeffro. Man what a history this place has. I am currently trying to follow the old railroad as I was told by an older gentleman that he watched a guy detect up a couple of gold coins where guys used to wait for the trains. The depot has been moved about four time over the years and I hear that on one spot, the building that currently occupies that space is to be torn down. I will be swinging there bigtime!
On yet another note, a new condo is going up and the excavated soil was put where they are building a new skatepark....I guess a bunch of VERY old bottles were found, including clay ones. I was actually going to detect that pile of soil but could not get anyones permission and she was roped off bigtime. Dangit I LOVE old bottles!

SO now that I have babbled, has anyone given thought to the outting that Jeffro and I want to put together?
We need input lest we have to go out and find all the goodies ourselves! ;D
~Nash~

jeffro did you go out today? i was thinking about going after work but i was lazy after work lol

nash sounds good on the outing me and my wife will try to make it jeffro was telling me about it have a nice day :)

Nash,

I took your advice and "hit da beaches" today. It's safe to say that Oregon does not lie when they claim to have the cleanest beaches! Not a coin, can, piece of foil, nothing. Not only did I change my batteries...thinking my detector was dead, but I also had to run it over my shoe now and then to make sure it was still working. It's safe to say that I wont be hitting them again any time soon, lol. I am glad I went out there though,...practice makes perfect. :)

Now off to scope out some kiddie parks...............

Danny64,

I went in Winchester Bay...the Triangle, around the jettys, and part of the first beach. I covered open sand near the water.....in between the tide lines.....and even the high beach area where all the driftwood was. I was looking for areas where people had had fires or BBQ'ed among the logs. Believe it or not, the sand was clean!!! Though I did drag home two metal weiner roasters, and a pair of sunglasses for my son...LOL. So i guess all wasn't lost.
If I do go back to the beach, I think I'll try sticking to the areas between the parkinglot, and the beach to see what might be lost between point A and point B by the tourists.
Oh, and I am located on the coast. Between Coos Bay and Winchester Bay.

I've found the same thing with the beaches in Oregon. Pretty clean. Thing to do is wait until a storm pulls most of the sand off and hit it quick before the tide brings it back in. :)

hay jeffro i got that dfx i like it better than bounty hunter let me know if you want to go out tomorrow

Jeffro said:
I've got entirely too many leads in the State of Oregon. Over 750 that are factual, and about as many that are dubious to outright false....

If you are seeking leads or want to collaborate, I'd be happy to share.

Topics are:

Lost mines- most are dubious at best

Buried treasure- same

Gems/minerals- 160 sites verified

Caves- 32 verified

Fossil areas- 33 verified

Prehistory-187 verified

Artifacts- 28 sites verified

Forts- 18 verified

Anomalies(just plain weird stuff)- 15 verified

Indian battlegrounds, villages, hunting grounds, summer and winter camps

Game trails, trap trails, military trails, wagon roads, etc.

Spring sites

Hot springs-140-150 or so

Swimming holes, old and new- several hundred

And of course, my own personal favorite public gold sites. Many of which you won't find publicized. Everything from leisurely panning to hardcore dredging.
Could u email me. I am interested in almost anything u have. I love to research all the treasures oregon has to offer. Your info. would be great to have for addtional leads. thanks. and if you have any info. i have that may assist you feel free to ask. most of mine is local to the linn and benton co. areas. though. I am still pretty new at this stuff. thanks again.

Hey Nash, I lived in Seaside for two years. I did some research on a few places there right after I started detecting about 5 years ago. Where the par 3 golf course is out by the Cove there used to be a huge Hotel. Not only that it had a horse race track that was quite the place.

I asked once if I could hunt the outskirts of the golf course and the owner said it was a huge liability if I got hit with a ball and refused me. He did show me where the hotel and track once was. The hotel was not actually on the course itself but more towards the highway in the woods. Bet there are some real nice goodies still around that courses boundary edges.

I also did some research on the beach back in the early 1900s. I swear the beach looked like Coney Island. There must have been 1000s of people along the beach and in the water, brrrrrrr. They showed a huge pier going out into the water also that boat came into and people were fishing off of.

Heard of a few Chinese camps back off of Lewis and Clark road also. Knowing they got paid in gold I bet alot of them buries they pays in those woods. One old timer did say they found some Chinese artifact in one camp like pottery and opium pipes.

Seaside and Astoria is sure rich in history and I bet a guy could do good there if he knew the right old timers to talk to. I also understand that Astoria had a Hudson Bay trading Company on the north side. Has to be some good stuff around that area from traders and trappers coming and going.

Deftouch, you got e-mail. and Tink, I haven't forgotten about you, LOL! I know its been a few days. ;)

A quick tip for all, if you're interested in ghost towns that aren't well known.... go to Brainy Geography dot com and start looking around your area. Anything listed as "historical" is usually an old townsite. Most there is nothing left. These are plentiful, and sometimes bountiful. Be safe and respect private property, ask permission if its private land, please. :)

Thnaks Jeff, that sites looks to be a good one. Looked at it for a little while and seen some interesting stuff already in my area. Thinks this site is going to be a fantastic referrence sute. I couldn't get it to open up in internet explorer when clicking on a certain site, so i must have a setting set wrong. I WILL figure it out thou...Thnaks for the info.

HI Everybody!

I just wanted to introduce myself. You guys are full of good info and this website absolutely rocks! Just got a detector a few weeks ago and I'm having a blast (even though my girl is makn' fun of me saying she's going to buy me suspenders and coke bottle glasses ::)). No awesome finds yet but I know it's coming......I have a general question, if it's already been posted I apologize. Anybody know of a link of some sort for restrictions of where to MD in Oregon? I've researched but cannot find one. There's a lot of history here on the east side of Portland and I understand if it's private land ask for permission but is there any restriction on state lands or National Forest outside of the parks?

Thanks for the help!

SilverSalmon

P.S. Anybody have a good lead on the eastside of Portland (out near the gorge) ;D. Will trade for good salmon fishn' holes :o

Every area has its own set of rules, unfortunately. You'll need to contact the powers that be for any particular area you want to detect in. National Historic parks are off limits, most of the rest is on a case by case basis.

From the cascade locks to the bonneville area was an early (1840's) portage area for immigrants coming over on the trail. Unscrupulous types took advantage of these people for whatever they had left on the last leg of their journey. Oughtta be a good spot to look for caches.

There was an immigrant camp at the mouth of Chenowith creek near the Dalles.

The ghost town of Ortley (1911-1922) is between the Dalles and Hood river. Go west on Seven mile road towards Mosier.

Ldy2Blu said:
Nash,

I took your advice and "hit da beaches" today. It's safe to say that Oregon does not lie when they claim to have the cleanest beaches! Not a coin, can, piece of foil, nothing. Not only did I change my batteries...thinking my detector was dead, but I also had to run it over my shoe now and then to make sure it was still working. It's safe to say that I wont be hitting them again any time soon, lol. I am glad I went out there though,...practice makes perfect. :)

Now off to scope out some kiddie parks...............

In all honesty the summer months are smokin' here when the tourists abound. I am sorry I didn't see this much earlier. As far as clean beaches go, those are south of me. This one is FULL of nails. I guess at some point in time the had pallett burns out on the beach here and that area is basically undectable. Too many types of metal involved. I suppose one could descriminate out everything but silver, but the beach is just too big for that and the hotspots are further away from the Prom....
Best of luck to ya wherever you may go.
~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back