Intermediate to Advanced Panning Tehcniques?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I wanted to start some discussion about panning techniques for people that have just learned to pan and want to take it to the next level. For me, I am finally able to pan down to black sand consistently, but I feel like I'm missing important details and thus losing gold.

For example...how steep should one's pan be when washing? Some people hold it steeper than others...is there a "best" way to do this or a "best" angle? How fast do you shake back and forth? How deep should your pan be in the water when doing all of these things? How much light material should be washing off? Do you "throw" your material out of your pan or let the water "suck" it out?

Anyways, these are just some example of the kinds of things I'd like to learn. Feel free to just add anything to the discussion.

This video so far has been the most helpful for me. I basically try to replicate him and shake for 3 seconds followed by 3 "washes".

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The miners have always had to weigh speed vs accuracy vs amount of take in a given time. I have seen people creek side take 15 minutes to clear a pan and take minutes doing the stupid swirl reveal. If panning a waterway you are going to lose some over the edge, that is a given. If your loss is 10 percent of six -40 specs is it worth taking a extra couple of minutes to save a couple of specs. Pan as fast and efficiently as you possibly can and pan in the same spot if possible. You will end up with a slump pile that you can quickly re-pan every so often to check for loss. You will always leave some in the waterway and consider that give back. Your total take will always be more overall. If panning at home or finish processing use a catch pan. Good Luck, Happy Panning. As for the swirl, learn the tap.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yea, once you master walking the gold around your pan it's a whole new ballgame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of walking the gold around the pan...
One technique that I developed is shifting the gold to the center of the concentrates before washing.
Difficult to explain, but when I pan, the gold always ends up on the right edge of the concentrates. Perhaps because I'm right handed? Either way - I know this is where the gold is and I want it safely buried under concentrates before washing. So I tilt the pan a little to the left and shake it a few times immediately before washing. This slides the gold over so that it's centered under the concentrates.

Pay attention next time to where your gold first appears at the base of the pan..is it centered or off to one side? Having off to one side exposes it prematurely to washing action...you want it buried as long as possible.
I suppose you could practice shifting the gold around under the concentrates by using a 22 bullet.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine goes left. A side to side motion will keep it centered. A circular motion piles it to one side.

Reverse to reveal. A little bounce will move everything a half inch from the edge. Now the tap brings the gold clear for sucking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread