Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, that's one hell of a endorsement. If you can convert the bgt guru.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, it really is an improvement, I'm going to put the Sniper on Craigslist when I get home from this trip. (N.B. We are trailered up to WY for the eclipse now then headed to SW CO for 3 weeks of prospecting and related book research. Fun times!)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, the book! I was wondering about it, so your collecting more info still. Ok, we can wait for you to perfect it!................63bkpkr

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin,
Can you do a video of YOU running the sluice? Would like to see the master at work with a new tool.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin,
Can you do a video of YOU running the sluice? Would like to see the master at work with a new tool.

Sure but it's just shoveling. There's nothing nuanced about it :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally got to Rattlesnake Gulch public placer mining area (BLM reacquired land) today. Found good gold, 5-15 colors per pan. Ran my new Grizzly Goldtrap for a while. Enjoyed showing some local kids the spot :)
The water is STILL very high, what a year!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503896666.347044.jpg
Kiddos (and my wonderful wife!)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503896706.867139.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503896748.465682.jpg
Spent more time with the kids than I did getting gold but that's ok. This spot is going in the book for sure!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin you were a long way from the other shore, do you think the river will ever become lower this year?..............63bkpkr

PS - I placed my order for a GGT Explorer this afternoon. More Toy's!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin you were a long way from the other shore, do you think the river will ever become lower this year?..............63bkpkr

PS - I placed my order for a GGT Explorer this afternoon. More Toy's!

I think so but who can say for sure? I'm thinking to come back in November to see what it's like then. It was definitely higher than I expected!!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I haven't had enough time to post my outings the last week or so. There have been many as I hit Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Mancos and Dolores. I found gold in/around every town as expected. The book is going to have lots of fun spots to visit! Some with just a little color, others sure to make a digger smile :)

Today I met another Colorado digger and we tried spots in Dolores. Cute town with very decent gold in the Dolores River at a town park :) More spots to check around here tomorrow...

Today's honey hole:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505018956.033990.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today was more exploring and panning. This time on the Dolores River downstream of the Town of Dolores.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505108129.085324.jpg
We found gold wherever we found a row of rocks running out into the river like this:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505108165.202638.jpg

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today was more exploring and panning. Is time on the Delores River downstream of the Town of Delores.
View attachment 1493011
We found gold wherever we found a row of rocks running out into the river like this:
View attachment 1493012

Good to know. How did you do upstream? Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to edit your last post due to misspelling Dolores.

On a side note....There is or used to be good catch and release fly fishing for trophy trout in or near the area I think you were in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know. How did you do upstream? Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to edit your last post due to misspelling Dolores.

On a side note....There is or used to be good catch and release fly fishing for trophy trout in or near the area I think you were in.

Oops, several typos to fix in that post, thanks!!

That area is indeed still catch and release trophy trout land. Not my thing but yup!

The best gold was up close to the dam in one of those spots with a row of bedrock/boulders reaching out into the stream. Pretty decent gold but not as good as in the town park :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today's digging was a breakthrough moment. Best gold I've seen on the whole trip through this part of the state. On the property of the private campground where we are staying so this place is definitely going in the book with a strong recommendation.

My dig site doesn't look exceptional but "oh baby!" Good gold!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505198473.264905.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's digging was a breakthrough moment. Best gold I've seen on the whole trip through this part of the state. On the property of the private campground where we are staying so this place is definitely going in the book with a strong recommendation.

My dig site doesn't look exceptional but "oh baby!" Good gold!!
View attachment 1493424

Your trip sounds amazing, and that is some pretty hot looking cobble. I'd definitely dig there!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My grand tour of SW Colorado doing book fieldwork is done!

31 sampling sites - 30 with gold, 21 nights in the trailer in 10 different places, 18*ghost towns and abandoned mine attractions, 6 river systems,*5 libraries,*5 museums,*showed 5 kids how to pan,*prospected with 4 other prospectors I met through my "Finding Gold in Colorado" Facebook group,*2 historic bars (the kind with miners and whiskey),*2*underground mines, 1 mill tour, 1 prospecting store, 0 bears, 0 mountain lions

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More sampling today :)
Clear Creek:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505966963.817894.jpg
Ralston Creek:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505966999.535071.jpg

Found good gold at both sites so more good info for the book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread