OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmmmm. Seems like some of your other posts also included some "authors privileges"(?) while visiting historic mine sites. Always best to have personally guided tours or free rein to explore usually closed areas when you are doing research.:thumbsup:

On a side note: I will be in Rico early next week and will spend some time on a private placer claim which is located away from any running water. I also may work the Dolores River itself or some feeder creeks. After doing some checking I did not see anywhere if stream bank digging is allowed or just digging within the wetted area of the stream bed. I remember that you did some sluicing a couple of years ago just down stream from Rico. I think I know where you were from your description at the time (actually close to one of the claims). What type of digging did you do?

Thanks and good luck on your book.

Not really author's privilege (well, maybe a couple times in the past). This latest was because I was part of an outing associated with an academic symposium :)

When I was downstream of Rico, I dug in the wet zone but there's no actual restriction. It was just NFS claimable land :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out yesterday with three of my wife's cousins and their 6 sons, aged 7-19. All had a great time, found gold and had to be dragged back to the trucks after 5 hours on the Colorado River!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501368228.182816.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501368288.434980.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501565091.118470.jpg
...like this? (Cresson Pit, June 2017)

That's a 250 Ton haul truck in the upper left of the pic. The circles of rocks in the center of the pit mark areas where it's hollow underneath (old stope area) and so unsafe for the trucks to drive there!

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1478385
...like this? (Cresson Pit, June 2017)

That's a 250 Ton haul truck in the upper left of the pic. The circles of rocks in the center of the pit mark areas where it's hollow underneath (old stope area) and so unsafe for the trucks to drive there!

Yes, except the pit was much smaller when I visited in 1985. I had given a lecture to 1400 Chem 2 cadets at the Air Force Academy on the Chemistry of Gold. We had talked about cyanidation and that a company called Silver State were doing that now at Cripple Creek. One of my cadets came up and said his uncle was comptroller at Silver State and would I like a tour? The answer was YES!!

Silver State had begun digging out old mining areas, grinding the ore to powder and heap leaching it in 1981. At the time of my lecture gold was in the $300's and their all in costs were about $290/oz. They were eventually bought out. Today, Newmont owns the Cripple Creek Victor Mine, as it is now called. Newmont recently bought it from AngloGold Ashanti, who bought it from some one else, who had bought Silver State. Along the way, the company started consolidating the rest of the mines so they could do what you see now.

Anyway, I did take a tour in 1985 and got some great pictures. They were smelting and pouring gold that day (70 oz was the result). I will have to find and post those pictures. The pit had 3 tunnels very obviously visible since they had chosen to sink the pit into the area those 3 mines had been working.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool history! Today they are running two pits and pouring over 1,000 oz per DAY!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool history! Today they are running two pits and pouring over 1,000 oz per DAY!

Today, they do not grind to powder, but to 3/4 " size. That apparently is the sweet spot right now for the costs to crush and the amount of gold extracted, given the current price of gold and the current state of the technology for leaching. If the price goes up, they can re-crush to a smaller size and cyanide it again (basically only the surface is extracted with the cyanide). Silver State ground to powder and extracted virtually all the gold (I know, you never get 100.00%, but you know what I mean). So the tailings they left are not really worth treating again. Not so with the current process.

Also, Silver State heap leached inside so they could process during the winter. Currently, the Cripple Creek and Victor Mine piles the ore on hillsides outside. The bitter cold in winter in Colorado and Cripple Creek in particular means the chemical process slows down significantly. I suspect their pour amounts are much larger in the summer vs say January. But Silver State was much, much smaller and probably needed to run all year to avoid cash flow problems.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting detail to learn. They forecast to pour just over 400K Troy ounces this year but I bet you're right about the winter effect. They did also say they crush some high grade ore to powder and process it indoors; only the large amounts of low grade ore go on the outside heap leach.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a poor copy of the picture at Cripple Creek years ago. You can plainly see 3 tunnels to the right of center, but there are others also visible. gold lecture picture 054.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The tube in the foreground is a huge covered conveyor belt to move ore to the top of the pit. Here again poor quality, but you can see huge mining trucks at the bottom of the pit. (bottom center and slightly to the right of that) gold lecture picture 055.JPG

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out digging today while my wife was off shopping. Dug three holes and all three produced :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502677022.069367.jpg
Here's the gold separated by size -50 +30 30-50
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502690912.748634.jpg

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at that grin, looks like you have a pretty good system with that tarp. And that is some damn nice gold for that creek. Holy smokes!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More fun digging:
Sampling panning in Idaho Springs:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503044526.710272.jpg
A new spot with Jim on the South Platte River right near downtown Denver:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503044600.959125.jpg
And then I met up with Dennis and took personal delivery on a Grizzly Goldtrap "Explorer":
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503044683.189142.jpg
This warranted a serious digging session!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503044696.333872.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503044709.105781.jpg
(+30 in the middle, -50 mesh on the right) 0.40 grams

I'll share more about the sluice later but it sure works well!! Anyone want to buy a used Bazooka?

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'll autograph it Kevin, I'll buy your used bazooka!
- Brian

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you'll autograph it Kevin, I'll buy your used bazooka!
- Brian

Happy to! I even have a gold paint pen :)

What's a fair price for a used Bazooka Sniper?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I might sell my sniper too. It's just too small for my claim and I'd rather use my little Angus for the backpack.
My bigger prospector model I traded for 7 grams of nice chunky Oregon gold from a tnet member.
I'd rather take gold as payment any day!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread