OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out on Clear Creek near Idaho Springs looking for good gold prospecting sites for my book. Found some nice spots!

The owner of Grizzly Goldtrap, indulging me by using a pan haha!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507046575.027736.jpg
...and saw lots of these guys migrating through to their winter grounds.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507046608.105604.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out on Clear Creek near Idaho Springs looking for good gold prospecting sites for my book. Found some nice spots!

The owner of Grizzly Goldtrap, indulging me by using a pan haha!
View attachment 1500696
...and saw lots of these guys migrating through to their winter grounds.
View attachment 1500697

Nice! But.. Where's the gold? :)

Also, today seems to be the biggest butterfly traffic day of the year so far, they're EVERYWHERE!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, wheres the gold?

I studied the bottom picture of the original post for about a minute and never figured out what you were talking about then butterflies were mentioned in the above post and I finally got it (pretty much by shape only). Colorblindness is real. You could have posted fall colors except for aspen and cottonwoods and I would still be puzzled.:BangHead: Lucky for me that yellow/gold is one of the colors I can see.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507186797.895288.jpg
The gold as commanded. I was just sample panning but was very happy to see the decent sized flake show up. Also notice a mercury coated flake and a little clump of amalgamated gold fines (hard to see the silvery color in this photo, sorry)

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, wheres the gold?

I studied the bottom picture of the original post for about a minute and never figured out what you were talking about then butterflies were mentioned in the above post and I finally got it (pretty much by shape only). Colorblindness is real. You could have posted fall colors except for aspen and cottonwoods and I would still be puzzled.:BangHead: Lucky for me that yellow/gold is one of the colors I can see.:thumbsup:

Me too, that's why I can't go gem hunting! :D

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510044586.731576.jpg
Gold from an hour or two of sample panning in a Clear Creek Canyon hot spot in Clear Creek County. This spot will Get a nice write up in the book!
#findingGOLDinColorado

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wicked cool place, I stamped my feet and threw a fit like a kid passing Dairy Queen when we came upon it.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510727112.157325.jpg
Lots of -100 mesh gold. Went to this spot I had panned before and knew it was basically all -100 gold. Brought my new Grizzly Goldtrap to see how it would handle the fine gold. Much better than the Bazookas can do I’m happy to say :)

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1516333
Lots of -100 mesh gold. Went to this spot I had panned before and knew it was basically all -100 gold. Brought my new Grizzly Goldtrap to see how it would handle the fine gold. Much better than the Bazookas can do I’m happy to say :)
I'm super impressed with the pictures I've been seeing of everybody's clean outs. I think Dennis knocked it out of the park with his new design

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1516333

Love to see the yellow in the pan! If i can ever get away from my dang desk, I'll be back out on the creeks. Not looking good for anytime soon though....

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510801769.016803.jpg
Got out again today sampling Boulder Canyon for the book. Pretty too huh?! Found several spots with gold so it was a fun day!

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty there. Enjoy the nice weather while you can!

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, looks like I need to Colorado, I'd really need to visit soon.

Dig deep, keep the color. Bill

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1516640
Got out again today sampling Boulder Canyon for the book. Pretty too huh?! Found several spots with gold so it was a fun day!
If I could I'd like this one twice.

I have been eyeballing that canyon on google earth for months. Gorgeous spots there.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I could I'd like this one twice.

I have been eyeballing that canyon on google earth for months. Gorgeous spots there.

P70, I’ll send you some gps coords if you promise to send back info on how long you dug and how you did at the spots. I’d love more data!

PS this is the perfect time of year to dig there. Water is low, crowds are gone :)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P70, I’ll send you some gps coords if you promise to send back info on how long you dug and how you did at the spots. I’d love more data!

PS this is the perfect time of year to dig there. Water is low, crowds are gone :)

Send away! I'll have to find my wool socks and make sure my waders are resealed. And find a sunny day to go naturally :)
Maybe even tomorrow, looks mostly sunny
Thanks!

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I got semi-skunked: 4 tiny specks out of about 2 buckets of gravel. The good news is I saw the boundary markers on the way down and will be trying another spot ASAP (maybe Sunday). There is a big ol' IF in there though. IF I can get my waders re-sealed. My left boot leaked so bad my foot was fully submerged in the icy cold mountain creek in what seemed like 10 minutes or so. I pushed it and stayed in longer than I should have because I only had around an hour and a half. My foot was complaining about the numbing cold thank god I was parked so close. Some things you can't just power through people. That was a tough reminder (my toes still ache from the bitterly cold water. lol). It took about 25 minutes in the car and dry socks and pants to get to where I could bear to push on the clutch with it. I should have known better, those creeks are usually freezing even in deep summer.

That is a beautiful area, with a keen eye you can still see relics of the past on the sides of the mountains. There was ZERO trash to pack out, as a primarily urban prospector this is never the case. I'm always finding marbles, golf balls, zipper teeth, electrical connectors, and the glass. What a pleasant surprise. Couple lead sinkers in the fluid bed is all.

It even snowed a tiny bit. Gorgeous area with lots of black sands in the creek, with beautiful round gravel to beautiful giant round boulders. I demand a re-match.

Another thing from the urban prospector side, this was really close to the mountain on the other side of the creek. I kept hearing something big busting around up there (probably an elk or deer) and was watching for bears. There was only the random car going by every 5-10 minutes or so, if something was to go down I'd be on my own. I made sure to holler every now and then and ring my shovel off the big round rocks every now and again. (at least he would know where dinner is haha).
Thanks again Kevin, this was fun! I hope there is some data you can get from this. I will of course post more the next time I am there.

PS, damn I should have photo'ed the SuperProspector laying pretty in the creek.

boulder creek cold as F.jpg
Bet there is some gold up against that rock. It was deeper than my waist.

Mount Doom.jpg
Mount Doom!

boulder creek.jpg
I don't usually dig in boulder creek,
but when I do it's thanks to my good friend KevinInColorado.
Stay Fluid my Friends

P70

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome post! Sorry this first visit wasn’t more generous in gold. Next time with water tight boots!!

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin you keep putting up pictures of gold like that. You will have the Hoffmans. Down on the river digging holes beside you. Very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread