Deer Season!! I fed my family of 4 for less than 2.00 total, has anyone else?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, we finally started processing deer. I love to find economical ways to feed my family and I'll share my first attempt. I would love to hear from others! I was marinating some deer strips for jerky and needed to whip up a quick meal. Here is how I fed my family of 4 for less than 2.00 and it tasted out of this world!
******Deer fried rice*******
Marinate deer strips overnight in 1 packet teriyaki marinade powder ($.29) 1 cup hot water, 1 tbsp garlic salt, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 cup brown sugar ($.50)
For meal prepare one package of chicken flavor rice according to direction.($.59 from closeout store)
Meanwhile panfry the marinated strips in oil.
In the SAME pan, without cleaning it whip one farm egg (free). Add prepared rice and cook again on med heat. when done add deer cut into thin 1 inch long strips and voila!
Add a garden tomato on the side or other veggie and your meal is complete.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I read on this site that the price of amo has jumped by 50%. Got to stock up now,once B. O. is crowned they are predting it to go up by 500%. I guess they can,t ban guns but they can make amo only aforable for the very rich. Mike.

S

stefen

You can really cut costs by driving the highways and keep an eye on the side ditches...see a lot of big rig road kills.

Better yet, listen to the trucker CB's or police channels.

Take a thermometer and check the temps...give you a clue as to freshness...(talking about the deer and not the drivers).

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Sounds like you did good. Recipe looks tasty.

If you don't already have a copy, you should get the compilation of the Tightwad Gazette. Lots of good, frugal ideas.

HH

Old_Okie

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Okie. I read the book a couple times, I think I will get a subscription as times have changes since it was first written.

I made another good meal last night. Some of the strips were cut too thick to dehydrate but I marinated them anyway. I then grilled them and served them with fried potatoes. This meal for the four of us was around 1.00. Fun!

inneedoftherapy

Feb 29, 2008
Between the cornrows, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
We stocked our freezer with 3 deer this year.I process all the deer I grind I mix I create got a real good sweet italian sausage recipe will have to dig it out and share. I am waiting on one more so I can make our jalapeno cheese brats. Its nice to be able to save some money.

18siggyONYX.jpg

LaSalle County Parrot Sanctuary & Rescue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions