Old Civil War Railroad Track

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
I just bought a house back in my home town of Mine Run, VA. There's an old Civil War railroad track that runs right beside our house through the woods. I know that the soldiers use to use it as a lookout point during the Battle of Mine Run during the Winter of 1863. There were major battles throughout that area starting with the Battle of Chancellorsville & the Battle of Wilderness. I plan on hunting the old railroad tracks soon, very soon since it's right beside our house. A mile & a half away, my uncle found an un-discharged artillery shell, it was about 10-12 inches tall. I know there's a lot of stuff around, it's just the matter of finding it and finding a good spot. If I find anything I will post pictures.

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
UPDATE!!! I took some pictures of the old railroad next to my house and found a coucple things that were interesting. I believe one of the structures was to allow water to flow through the railroad, from one side to the other. The other structure has me puzzled because it looks like an old outhouse, but it's built into the side of the railroad. There use to be a door on it because there's still a piece of the wood on its hinges. It appears to go pretty deep, but there's water in it, so I can't tell how deep. I can't post them on here because the pictures are too large, but I can email them to anybody who wants to see the. If anybody knows what these structures are, could you let me know please?? Thanks.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
start swinging!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Pictures Posted For dsterry

Attachments

• DS1.JPG
    DS1.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DS2.JPG
    DS2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • DS3.JPG
    DS3.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,166

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Does it appear that you can safely get inside the out house looking deal? Maybe you can pull some of the stuff thats there on top up look down there. If its not too deep it could have been an out house at some point. But on the other hand if it is deep it may have had a ladder leading down into it as some time. From what i can see in the pics it looks and sounds like it would be a great place to hunt. Heck if there was any action there the whole area would be good. Keep us all posted on what you are able to come up with out there. Be safe wondering around out there and make sure someone knows where u are going when u go.

Clay

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah i forgot to ask what that is in the third picture? Is it the side of the outhouse looking thing or the inside of it?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it may have been the "look outs" shelter spot or storeage spot at one time looks interesting undeed.

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
The third picture is a structure that is connected to the outhouse looking structure. The tin roof is caved in and I went back there yesterday afternoon and noticed some type of an old breaker box inside the small structure connected to the "outhouse". I can't tell how far it goes down in the ground because there's water inside the "outhouse". The is an old electric pole about five feet in front of the structures. The electric pole is made up of an old tree and some old wires that are not working any more. I was wondering if the structure use to be a small hunter's cabin or some type of an old house.

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
I spoke with a friend of mine today and he thought it could be an old pump house. What do you guys & gals think?

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
considering im not sure what it is i guess it very well could be. Once u whip out your machine and start diggin stuff up you may be able to put things together a bit better. Have you moved any of the debris out of the way to see what under it? see how deep it is with a rope and a weight and if its not too deep see if you can pump the water out so you can see whats at the bottom.

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
I plan on moving the trash out of the structure sometime this week to see if I can see anything in it. It could be a possibility that the wires are teletype wires. Would the wires be connected to such a small building? Thanks.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where one just like it is located. Is there a railroad trestle nearby? If so I suspect it has something to do with the trestle because the one i know of is located near a trestle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions