Old Civil War Railroad Track

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
In the top picture, there's a tree angling up towards the right and if you look behind the tree and to the left, there is an old electric pole that's about 10-12 feet tall. You can't see it in the picture, but it looks like there's an old transformer at the top of the pole and what's left of a real thin single wire. The pole sits about 10 feet away from the structure in question. Right across the road from my house is where the old train depot use to be at. There's a bunch of old creeks that run beside it that have long been dried up. The railroad tracks are no longer there. I know the Confederates used that old railroad during the Battle of Mine Run in 1863. I'm going to hit it hard this spring, before the snakes come back.

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Mr. DSTERRY0578, thanks for getting your pictures posted. My memories of the Mine Run area in the 1980's including being at the location of a uranium mine (I dont think it was worth mining then but maybe today because "yellow cake" is more valuable). My prime interest at that time was panning for gold in Mine Run, VA. Thanks, RuffandTuff

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the "single thin wire" your talking about is telegraph wire --when trains were going north bound up a streach of rail road track they wired ahead so that another train was not sent down the track south bound causing a head on crash --- the box might have been booster station --the glass insulateors that kept the wires from touching the pole and thus shorting out are often collectible to rail road buffs and civil war buffs.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The side view of the old house looks like it may have been part of cistern. The electrical wires probably were added later to run a pump to lift the water up for the train that was a steam engine. Just a guess. Monty

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Either that or a well with a high return volume.

Careful Brother these things can be really deep and cold.
Hard to get out of if you should fall in.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread