Can anyone identify this for me?

James Riley

Greenie
Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a remote area on the high plains makes me think it is natural. But it looks man made to me. Too thick to be any glass that I am familiar with, not flat, and shaped like a rock. Air bubbles in it? Thanks in advance.

020818 017.jpg

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this, it kind of resembles it, mine turned out to be glass, probably the old coke bottles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

James Riley

Greenie
Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this, it kind of resembles it, mine turned out to be glass, probably the old coke bottles.

Thanks for the input. That's the same color. I can't tell from the photo but is your's somewhat clear with lots of little air bubbles in it?

If mine is old Coke bottle then it was melted down and re-hardened in a thick chunk. It's about 3/4" thick.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has some bubbles and it's clear on the inside, I found mine in my tailings when I was gold prospecting, it fooled me because it was tumbled for a while by the creek I found it in. I don't know what yours is it just resembles in a small way of what I found. I'm not sure the hardness of glass but google it try a scratch test, mine is heavy is yours?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

James Riley

Greenie
Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has some bubbles and it's clear on the inside, I found mine in my tailings when I was gold prospecting, it fooled me because it was tumbled for a while by the creek I found it in. I don't know what yours is it just resembles in a small way of what I found. I'm not sure the hardness of glass but google it try a scratch test, mine is heavy is yours?

Mine was found out on the high plains of Colorado (range, not farmed,) and far from anything like a ranch. It's pretty angular and doesn't seem like it has been tumbled by a stream, though it is not sharp like obsidian or broken glass. It feels about the same wieght as a regular rock of the same size. Maybe a little lighter. The bubbles are tiny, like a soda pop bubbles, and evenly distributed thoughout the piece. The bubbles that are half on the surface constitute little pits.

I Googled the scratch test. A penny would not scratch it so I used the knife blade on my Leatherman. It would not scratch it either. The only other hard thing I have around here is a thumb tack and it won't scratch it either. I don't know what else to use around here. I did use the thumb tack to dig some dirt out of some of the half-open air bubbles and was able to chip/shatter some of the tiny edges off but I can't scratch it.

Next time I go to town I will stop by a rock shop and ask them what it is. In the mean time, thanks, and I'll take any other ideas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

James Riley

Greenie
Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks: Finally got to town and to a rock shop. It's glass. Don't know how it got to where I found it, or how it took that shape, but glass it is. :unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread