Fishers going after new wreck this year.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Fisher's going after new wreck this year.

I just received the below email from the Fisher Organization this morning. Looks like they are going after a new wreck. I wish them luck and success.

Mel Fisher’s Treasures is going after another shipwreck this year. Right now, we have one of our historians doing extensive research looking for the last bit of evidence we need before beginning the physical search in earnest off the coast of Florida.

The name of the ship will be announced at a later date. The code name for the new shipwreck is “Lost Merchant.”

Current investors and new investors in the Atocha/Margarita Expedition, 2010, will be automatically included in the finds from the new wreck.

The new salvage operation will not take away from our ongoing search for the sterncastle of the Atocha and the main pile of the Margarita. We have long-term commitments to both of these shipwrecks.

Mel Fisher’s Treasures has the reputation as the most successful and widely respected shipwreck salvage company in the world. You can be sure we would not be making this announcement if we did not believe we could find this new wreck.

We invite you to join us for an exciting new year of discovery.

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary
Re: Fisher's going after new wreck this year.

old man said:
I just received the below email from the Fisher Organization this morning. Looks like they are going after a new wreck. I wish them luck and success.
Mel Fisher’s Treasures is going after another shipwreck this year. Right now, we have one of our historians doing extensive research looking for the last bit of evidence we need before beginning the physical search in earnest off the coast of Florida.
The name of the ship will be announced at a later date. The code name for the new shipwreck is “Lost Merchant.”
Current investors and new investors in the Atocha/Margarita Expedition, 2010, will be automatically included in the finds from the new wreck.
The new salvage operation will not take away from our ongoing search for the sterncastle of the Atocha and the main pile of the Margarita. We have long-term commitments to both of these shipwrecks.
Mel Fisher’s Treasures has the reputation as the most successful and widely respected shipwreck salvage company in the world. You can be sure we would not be making this announcement if we did not believe we could find this new wreck.
We invite you to join us for an exciting new year of discovery.

Why can Fisher salvage (or just looking for?) new wrecks?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

The Hun said:

Myabe because they can't find the old ones and need to keep investor's money coming in to (again) finance their pipe dream...?

Isn't that their MO, ever since Mel ceased to be a chicken farmer?

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

The Hun said:
Myabe because they can't find the old ones and need to keep investor's money coming in to (again) finance their pipe dream...?

So, do you think this news a kind of hoax?
And an investor doesnt know the law restrictions on salvage?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

What is this??? Now you have to bash the Fisher's? The Fishers have done more to enlighten the State of Florida in shipwreck archeology than anyone. They certainly don't scam investor's as you seem to be implying...Alexandre.

Aquanut

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

aquanut said:
What is this??? Now you have to bash the Fisher's? The Fishers have done more to enlighten the State of Florida in shipwreck archeology than anyone. They certainly don't scam investor's as you seem to be implying...Alexandre.

Aquanut

My question was why can Fisher salvage wrecks, and others why can't? (I mean the "new" rules of salvaging)
I couldn't know every news about him, because I am living out of US, and I get my info mainly from here...So maybe everybody knows any exceptions concerned Fisher's -- except me?
Please explain it to me.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense

aquanut said:

Aquanut

Aquanut, some people probably had the same veiw when fisher was trying to get investors for the Atocha find. You have to take some posts with a pinch of sea salt.

:coffee2:
Gary

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alexandre said:
The Hun said:

Mighty nasty words for one of the finest humans I ever met.

- a former investor, and not sorry

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

I just would like to know:

a) how much money investors have put into the Mel Fisher venture, since it started

b) how much money they made selling artifacts they have found

c) what is the value of "a" minus "b"

Also, I would like to know what and how much treasure have they found since 1986.

Am I not badmouthing anyone, I am just trying to see the numbers behind the business.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Alexandre to be fair, I would like to know:

a) Who paid for the costs to excavate the 9 shipwrecks you excavated?

b) How much treasure was brought up?

c) What did your investors get out of it?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

I dont think its a hoax at all. The Fishers have been looking for a new opportunity for years now. They have had agreements with other wreck hunters on potential sites and did not go public with info to try and suck in investors! I am pretty sure they know the consequences of coming out with info like this and not delivering until they were sure they had a good site!

Robert

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense

Is that not what all treasure hunts are ? pipe dreams, like buying a lotto ticket, every now and then someone hits the jackpot.
Where is your money safest ? with a company with a proven track record in finding treasure or with one that has never produced a thing ?

:coffee2:
Gary

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

Salvor6 said:

Hi Salvor,

You don't want to go there. To museums and and archies even rotten shoe soles are considered priceless treasure. And his "investors" probably consider the knowledge gained a fine return on investment.

Remember its all about the eye on of the beholder.

/V

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

OK. I already knew the answer.

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

V
I respectfully disagree. His investors had the money taken from them with the threat of jail time if they did not pay. They call this "taxes" and they were not happy with their return and they hate him and call him a leach on society. He has never produced a return for anyone, just taken from those for whom he says he is protecting their cultural heritage.
Seahunter

Voldbjerg said:
Salvor6 said:

Hi Salvor,

You don't want to go there. To museums and and archies even rotten shoe soles are considered priceless treasure. And his "investors" probably consider the knowledge gained a fine return on investment.

Remember its all about the eye on of the beholder.

/V

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Alexandre, If you look into it, you will find the Fisher's honorable and sincere. They have given all their investors an honest return on investment and if you think otherwise why don't you ask the state of Florida who lost the rights to the Atocha in the Supreme Court to Mel , yet he still gave them a fair percentage of the treasure. The amount of treasure they pulled up since 1986 is on public record. Just ask the state of Florida, they might get around to telling you. Additionally, not all treasure hunters/investors are looking for monetary returns, some simply would like to own a coin or a bit of history, even a pottery shard from one of the Chinese Dynasties.

BTW, How many thousands of dollars did it cost to raise that old shoe sole Voldbjerg...( "You don't want to go there Salvor6") so we could gain this invaluable piece of knowledge. Some things just really don't add up. Once one is found, you don't need a hundred more to study... there needs to be a common denominator here, or at least some common sense. My girlfriend collects worthless junk on a daily basis and piles it on junk she bought yesterday and it's all stuff she already has. Why does she do this? Because she can. Do I approve ...no. Is there anything I can do about it...no. Is this a parable? not really
Is there anything I can do about the ongoing conspiracy to eliminate the treasure salvage business...yes! Thanks to the internet and forums such as Tnet, we have at last been able to communicate and coordinate efforts that in the past weren't possible. We have formed groups to lobby and ensure the powers that be know they are being watched. As we share information and join forces we are becoming stronger. Archaeologists need to understand there are far more shipwrecks under the sea than they could ever deal with and they need to learn to work with us.

Voldy, We've got people dying here in the richest nation in the world because they can't get health care. Ask them if they give a crap about that disintegrated sole some Spaniard wore 300 years ago. I'm sure a treasure hunter has a better example of one he already donated to some museum. Also the museums are able to buy artifacts, they don't have to steal them from salvors. Archy's steal from us by lobbying to institute laws prohibiting us to search, much less salvage.

In answer to your question Hun, the Fishers have a proven track record and can provide the state with all the requirements usually meant to stifle us poor treasure hunters. As of right now the state hasn't been able to come up with enough regulations to completely stop a legitimate business that has the resources the Fisher's have.

Aquanut

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

Seahunter said:
V
I respectfully disagree. His investors had the money taken from them with the threat of jail time if they did not pay. They call this "taxes" and they were not happy with their return and they hate him and call him a leach on society. He has never produced a return for anyone, just taken from those for whom he says he is protecting their cultural heritage.
Seahunter

Hi Seahunter,

Remember - If society only cared about return of investment in af monetary way it will become a poor society.

Im not trashing treasure hunting (unless its slash and burn) but i understand why there is a need for people like Alexandre. It keeps things in perspective. Also some might think that spending money on keeping archives and saving documents is a worthless investment. The paradox is that those librarians and conservers are closely related to archies yet invaluable to treasurehunters.

have a great weekend

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006

aquanut said:
BTW, How many thousands of dollars did it cost to raise that old shoe sole Voldbjerg...( "You don't want to go there Salvor6") so we could gain this invaluable piece of knowledge. Some things just really don't add up. Once one is found, you don't need a hundred more to study... there needs to be a common denominator here, or at least some common sense. My girlfriend collects worthless junk on a daily basis and piles it on junk she bought yesterday and it's all stuff she already has. Why does she do this? Because she can. Do I approve ...no. Is there anything I can do about it...no. Is this a parable? not really

I agree with you. When a thousand coins are salvaged does the last 900 coins bring any new knowledge? And is that knowledge only obtained by possesion? No it is ridiculous to say that. For academia and cultural preservation then proper records and sample specimens will be sufficient.

In regards to the sole - you never know if you can learn anything from it untill it is studied.

aquanut said:
Voldy, We've got people dying here in the richest nation in the world because they can't get health care. Ask them if they give a crap about that disintegrated sole some Spaniard wore 300 years ago. I'm sure a treasure hunter has a better example of one he already donated to some museum. Also the museums are able to buy artifacts, they don't have to steal them from salvors. Archy's steal from us by lobbying to institute laws prohibiting us to search, much less salvage.

I dont understand why responsible treasure hunters are beeing hunted down like that. The cultural preservist should come down from their high horse and understand that culture is all around us and it is not stained by profit. Just like treasure hunters should acknowledge the cultural value as well as the monetary value.

I'm sorry if im rambling :)

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Salvor6 said:

Hi Salvor 6

Of the wrecks I found, I only excavated 2 - and only because they were going to build a marina pier on top of them. The money to do that came from the European Community, local town, local government and Portuguese Government.

The reason behind that was - if want to have some part of a public, marine, common area, for your own use, them you have to able to keep the public's interests preserved. According to the Portuguese Constitution, environmental and historical values are of everybody's interest. This extra cost will be paid, in the end, by all recreational sailors docking at the said marina.

If they dont want to pay the extra cents, then they are free to go and dock at the commercial harbour, 10 clicks north.

As for my other projects, let me tell you how much the Portuguese taxpayers have contributed to a 15 day surveying and probing of an unknown wooden wreck in the south of Portugal.

We were 6 divers. We all paid our meals and slept in an elementary school, where we also put our gear and heavy duty equipment. All archaeological work was done pro bono.

Total cost of the 15 day campaign for the State was 600 US dollars (and this takes into account fuel and logistics).

You can read a summary of it here

http://www.machuproject.eu/

on pages 16 and 17:

http://www.machuproject.eu/documenten/MACHU_Report 2.pdf

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks Alexandre. Here are some answers to your questions: I will use the salvage of the East coast wrecks as an example (not counting the Atocha and Margarita)

a) Not one penny of taxpayer money was spent financing the salvage. All expenses were paid by the private subcontractors. Its impossible to estimate how much each subcontractor spent because they are not required to reveal their private expenses. As an example, my company spent about $10,000 for one season.

b) Since Kip Wagner discovered several wrecks of the 1715 fleet in 1968, over $130 million in treasure has been recovered. Of this, over $26 million was given to the State Of Florida for their share without any cost to the state.

Also: As many as 28 subcontractors have worked the wrecks at one time during the dive season. I estimate over the 42 years that over 2,688 divers were employed by subcontractors during the season.

Not all subcontractors made a profit. For example my Tampa group (Smitt Salvage Inc.) had 10 divers and we each put up $1,100. We found nothing our first year but we are in this for the thrill of discovery, not to make money.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,566
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,573

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread