Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Florida's Coin Collection

The state of Florida has amased a huge collection of treasure coins since the 1960's. Is there an inventory of those coins? Of course there is! Dr. Alan Craig wrote two books on the subject. He was granted access to the collection and published; Spanish Colonial Gold Coins in the Florida Collection. This book is available from Enrada Publications, hardbound for $50. He says there are 1,500 gold coins in the FL collection. He has another book; Spanish Colonial Silver Coins in the Florida Collection also available from Enrada. He says there are over 23,000 silver coins in Talhassee. The state HAS lost some coins. This information has been posted on Tnet before.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Florida's Coin Collection

Interesting, looked on Mel Fishers site and average silver coin was approx 5,000. each (1,200. - 9,500 )

23,000 x $5,000.00 = $115,000,000.00

Gold coins approx 15,000.00 each

1,500 x $15,000.00 = $ 22,500,000.00

Both these were off the Atocha page, on Mels site. I can only guess that maybe some of those coins they are hoarding may be worth alot more then my average, so this is just that an idiots (YES ME) guide to rare coin pricing.

That only "mind you i said only " comes up to a total of $137,500,000.00 Humm and this doesn`t include all the money they have earned from the site permits etc... LOL plus the state has lost some ? Lost or in private collections of Fla state employees that had access to them?

Woooowwww now this really shows corruption on a grand scale, all u guys that are risking your life and future trying to make a living or fortune hunting only to have to pay a state for the possibly good luck to find something then have to turn it over to them, so they can increase there lil kitty.

And i thought washington was corrupt, this gives a new meaning to corruption,

the sleepers > unabashed dictionary term definition for corruption>>>>> FLORDIA

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

Redo the math.
Add the gold bullion, jewelry, precious stones, porclein, etc.
If the ATOCHA is said to be worth near a Billion dollars and the State takes their 25% of the BEST of EVERYTHING $137,000,000.00 is a joke.
The State of Florida has NO idea what they have or the value of it. They like to throw numbers out to confuse anyone wanting an accounting.
Peg Leg

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peg, don`t have to redo the math i was ONLY basing my reply on Salvors post..

See this sentence:
Humm and this doesn`t include all the money they have earned from the site permits etc...

The etc... means everything else.

With as much as the state has cough cough cough borrowed from the hard working men and women salvager's, u all shouldn`t have to pay a penny in any type of tax in fla. as a matter of fact the state should have to pay each and every one of u, OPPPPPSSSSS forgot, yes i ve been to miami, so i see where it all goes and who is being supported.

Question, if i build a crude raft and am off the coast of fla jibbering something unintelligent will the state support me also?

Have a nice Christmas everyone 8)

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey wait a minute Sleeper and Peg Leg, The Atocha coins are NOT included in the state collection since they were found OUTSIDE state waters and FL got no percentage of that!!! There is not one single Atocha coin in the state collection. Also redo your math, the Atocha is NOT worth billions. They estimate the cargo at $400 mil. and the stern section with all the gold has not been found yet. This is a perfect example of how rumors get blown out of proportion.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excuse the heck out of me, I never said they were from the atocha, if u would read u would have seen that.

I mearly used mels site as a reference on prices>>>> READ >>>Both these were off the Atocha page, on Mels site. I can only guess that maybe some of those coins they are hoarding may be worth alot more then my average, so this is just that an idiots (YES ME) guide to rare coin pricing.

Quote salvor 6 >>This is a perfect example of how rumors get blown out of proportion. <<<< This is a perfect example of someone NOT fully reading a post before opening mouth and inserting foot!!!!!!

Quote salvor 6 >>Get your foot out of your mouth<<<<<< Get your facts straight before jumping on my butt , ty

I never said those coins in your first post were from the Atocha!!!!

I only used mels site as a easy to locate pricing guide, to comment on the coins in YOUR POST!!!! And to also give salvegors like u and others respect and this is what i get for it....

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

OK Sleeper, I re-read your post. I see you were only using Mel's site as a reference but Atocha coins are different. They go for 6 times the average price of Spanish cobs.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back to the original question boys,Is there an inventory of these coins and where are they all at? The point is the state of Florida is run by a bunch of thieves! Period! They call us Pirates.......hmmmm? ::) :o

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

I could give a crap where the ARITFACTS came from, the ATOCHA or where ever. WHAT I AM SAYING is that the State of Florida is ripping the THer off big time AND the people of Florida.
But here we all sit discussing this among ourselves and NOT a single person on this forum is willing to do anything about this except to talk and we all know this goes NO WHERE. It is no different than FORMING a GROUP.
It would appear that THers do not want to PISS the State of Florida off. If you are content with the way things are then by all means continue doing NOTHING.
I am only one person but a pearl starts you start with a single grain of sand.
This is supposed to be a joyous day so I will stop for now and go eat something.
Peg Leg

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peg, Peg, Peg... You crack me up! First of all, every coin and artifact is individually numbered and cataloged by the salvers that recover them under the state lease agreement, so they all know exactly what they recovered, and was kept by the State. The state keeps 20% of all the reported legal recoveries under a legal binding contract between the salver and the state. Is that a fair cut? I would say yes!, but that is just my opinion (that, and I don't want to piss off the State(Oh! please..)). So, I fail to see how the salver is getting ripped off by the sate, since every salver signed a contract agreeing to the 20% being the amount that goes to the state.
I can't speak as to the State of Florida and the accountability of there 20%, I have heard stories about artifacts dissapearing, and many just disintergrating because the were not properly preserved. However, I have no first hand knowledge as to any of these stories ever being substantiated.
I will bet that all you need to do is make a written formal request under the Sunshine Act to the DHR requesting that this information be made available to you. Then you can publish it on TreasureNet for all of us to see.
Have you made the request of the inventory from DHR yet?

Peg, try the BBQ Manitee, its em, em, good.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X

Florida is beyond doubt the most corrupt state in the Union (and that is saying something). The problem is all of the old people vote the 'party line' without paying attention to what the politicians stand for. If you do not live here you cannot imagine how 'regulated' every aspect of property ownership is, all in the name of 'permits' to keep the public 'safe' and the govt. rich via permit fees. The whole artifact debacle is a sham and every archaeologist knows it, but they go along because it gives the state an unbelievable level of power and control. The last election did infuse some new blood into the Tallahassee corrupt machine, but it may be a futile infusion which will not result in the overturning of pitiful laws.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TY salvor 6, it was never my intention to discredit insult or in any manner demean any of u guys that are trying to ink out a living salvaging any of those wrecks. It was just the opposite, yes i am a LAYMAN an idiot if u will permit, i do not know the difference in value between a silver coin found on the beach or an Atocha coin, that is why i used mel`s site as a generic price guide. It LOOKED to me as the state was living high on the hog off the backs of you guys (salvagers) blood, sweat and sometimes tears.

From what i have been able to gleam from here, it cost u guys alot of money in permits, either to the state or individuals, for single sites, then all the regular expense and upkeep on your equipment, then on the chance u happen to find something you have to turn it over to the state, then if they see fit and don`t loose it part of it gets returned to u. I`m sorry but you all took the risk in life and limb diving is a perilous sport or job, it just does not in my book seem fair.

That is the point i was trying to get across.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey Sleeper, I got a little out of line with my reply. That's why I yanked it. You're right, it is difficult to work honestly in this state because, like Kevino pointed out, the corrupt state officials. But what can we do? Thanks for the support and Merry Christmas to you.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Salvor, ty for the words, i bear no u ill will, we disagreed, then as gentleman discussed it and settled our differences.

"Quote" salvor 6, But what can we do?

LOL avast thr maties, plunder thy spoils sorry just could not help it ::)

Wishing you and all a very merry christmas

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you guys want to know what florida has done with all the treasure.why not file a freedom of information act on them,its public info.and if they can not account for where all the treasure is.then you have a story to sell to the investigative news teams.im sure the public will want to know who the crooks are running thier state.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

salvor 6 said:
But what can we do? Thanks for the support and Merry Christmas to you.
You can start with this-http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,61580.0.html.I know this deals with the isolated finds act.But it IS a start.As Peg Leg so poignantly points out in this thread! Do something besides TALK about it.It's going to take the concerted efforts of many to change anything.Do your part,I am.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

The problem here is that MOST THers can relly afford to sign anything because they KNOW that they will be put on the States SH-- LIST and if they ever applied for ANYTHING associated with TH they can forget it-FOREVER.
This is the way POWER OPERATES.
I can understand why certain members on this forum do not want to get involved-they CAN'T AFFORD to and I do not blame them. They have a living to make.
As for me I am a native of Florida and I do not ever expect to do this for a living. I do not even own a Jon boat but I AM registered to vote.
So if theere is anyone out there that help me fill the proper paperwork I WILL FIND OUT ABOUT WHERE THE ARTIFACTS ARE THAT THE STATE HAS COLLECTED-GUARANTEED.
Peg Leg

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peg Leg, speaking of paper work have you heard back from your permit application yet? Have you sent it in yet?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

NC BRAD,
Yes I received PART of the paperwork.
I put what they sent into my file system along with EVERYTHING related to my Ghost Ship. I also have every email that was sent to me printed an placed in my files.
It is plain to see that things are not what the email said.
QUESTION:
Has anyone received a Permit to Search and Recover anything new. In fact has ANYONE applied -I bet the answer is NO.
Peg Leg

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Whatever some nice pirate will loan me!!

Better not to cast aspersions amongst ourselves!(with regard to Atocha coinage) Anyone could dive for coins then later claim to have found them on the beach. Don't give any extra ammunition to the authorities when there's no reason. Have a good New Year's , Pirate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread