Spanish Shipwreck list off NC

• Thread starter Charles, Oak Island, NC
  • Start date
R

rik

I have a lot on the 1750 stuff:

1. Frigate Ship of War "Nuestra Senora del Carmen" alias "La Galga" alias "Greyhound" The King's 50 gun war ship, commanded by Don Daniel Huoni or (Mahoney, Mahoni, Ohoney, Honi, ) Lost 15 Leagues Northward of Cape Charles with all it's cargo, everyone was saved except one soldier.

2. Don Manuel de Bonillas's Dutch built Hamburg Amburguez (Navio) "Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe" alias "Augusta Celi" alias "La Nympha" Lost Ocacock Inlet, North Carolina, all the people saved.

3. Don Francisco Arizon's; commander; Don Juan Cruanio; Packet boat "El Salvador" alias "El Henrique" Cartagena Snow Resiter; Lost 15 Leagues Southward of Ocacock, everyone drowned except 3 men and 1 boy, all the cargo lost.

4. Portuguese small frigate named "San Pedro" or "Saint Peter" Cartagena Register commander John Kelly and Supercargo Don Manuel Martines de Aquair; Arrived at Norfolk.

5. Small Schooner a brigantine, or Zumaca named, "Nuestra Senora de la Merced" alias "La Mercede" Property of the King; Commander Don Antonio Barroso; Lost 6 Leagues Northward of Cape Charles, no cargo saved but all the people survived.

6. Small Frigate "Nuestra Senora de la Soledad y San Francisco Xavier" of Don Jose de Respaldizar and Don Manuel de Molbudro; Lost 10 Leagues Southward of Ocacock most of her money and cargo saved.

7. Navio "Nuestra Senora de los Godos" alias "Arinton" Captain Don Pedro de Pumarejo, (Pumarcho); and Don Francisco de Ortiz; Arrived at Norfolk.

8. "Mariana" ? "La Marianna," from Compeche, a sloop, Don Antonio Ianasio de Anaya, commander; Arrived at Norfolk.

I think I found two of them.
Tons more reaseach if you want it.
[email protected]

S

seaseeker

Is that you Critter?? It's been a long time since I used the forum ... they surely have compliicated things! I finally have my North Carolina book finished and am in the proofreading stage ... over 1200 wrecks and double the accounts. I think you know the Guadaloupe is not at Ocracoke .. they salvaged her, repaired her, sold her, and sent her back to Spain. HOpe you are well, and got through the hurricane in one piece. Joan C. (Seaseeker)

C

Charles,Oak Island

Well, Well, welcome back. Yep, Joan it's me your most admiring reader. So happy to see you back. Yes Marc has changed it around some. It kind of reminded me of diving the Cape Fear River (totally Braille method) until I got use to it.
There are a few others here that know about the BEST Shipwreck Lady around.
Welcome home.

Darren look who came to visit.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Joan, make sure you post info on the book and where to get it. There are some folks here that would love to get a copy. (some of us would like another signed one)

S

seaseeker

I didn't know if I could ... although the "agreement" we have to agree to didn't say we couldn't .. I didn't want to do anything out of order on my first day. What are you researching now? Now that I have finished the three books (and they are good ones, if I do say so myself) I will have more time to work on individual wrecks for other people. Need any help? You know my fee ... any insignificant artifact. I still show off my North Carolina bottles. J.C.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Well, didn't want to say anything to you but this blob top Portner case bottle from Alexandria, VA had your name on it. Is the Hampton, Va still a good address ?

C

Charles,Oak Island

PS
Marc also has two classified ad sections also.

S

seaseeker

Wow, that is a beauty. I just might have to send you a free book. Address is good. This site has REALLY changed! I'll check out the ad section. Thanks. J.C.

S

seaseeker

Just doing a quick scan of my records. You can add to your Spanish list:

Unnamed Spanish brig at New Inlet: Feb. 19, 1831, American Beacon, Norfolk, Va.: Captain Parlow, of sloop ADVANCE, which went ashore in Octoer last, 7 mmiles off Carver's Inlet, arrived in town this afternoon and reports that he was informed by a gentleman from New Inlet that a brig from the Spanish Main, with a cargo of hides, indigo, and specie bound to Baltimore was cast away at that place on Sunday last. Crew saved, vessel had not bilged. [may have been salvaged ... who knows?]

CONCEPCION - Dec. 30, 1833 - American Beacon, Norfolk, Va.: Further diasters of the late gale. Loss of the Spanish Brig CONCEPCION - Capt. Bernadaz, 14 daysfrom Havana bound to Norfolk, in ballast, to J. Allmand, went on shore on Whales Head (Currituck Beach,) on Sunday morning, 23rd inst. at about half past 4, previously been dismasted. Crew all got ashore in safety, and arrived here, except the Cook, who died in a few hours after landing. The vessel has gone to pieces.

LUZON - Sept. 18, 1857 - New York Daily Times (from the Wilmington Herald, Sept. 15) - Spanish brig LUZON, Capt. Rafael de Uriz, of Belboa, from Havana, bound to Falmouth, England, with sugar and molasses, went ashore near Topsail Inlet, on Saturday night last. Vessel and cargo will probably prove a total loss.

The World War II losses were unreal ... and a bit scary ... I'm old enough to remember not having heard such things were going on. All the newsreels at the Saturday movies had us winning everything! My stuff goes to 1950 now and are packed with government accounts (LOL which at times conflict with each other ... I just love research!)

C

Charles,Oak Island

Joan, what are the titles and prices on the books? I find the Luzon interesting because of a coin found up that way recently. Depending on how it goes weather wise I will try and mail this to you before this Monday.

S

seaseeker

You will get the second (the first one has been spoken for) North Carollina book at no cost ... when it gets printed ... give me three weeks ... my proofreader will not be able to start until after the weekend.. That bottle is an absolute beauty! Are you sure you want to part with it???

S

seaseeker

I forgot to list the books for you.
New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania Shipwreck Accounts, 1705-1950 - $20 (includes postage)
Virginia, Maryland Shipwreck Accounts, 1623-1950 - $20 (includes postage)
Email [email protected]
I have some slightly flawed books for cheaper if a budget is a problem. You know me, I'm not in it for the money ... I don't even get to sniicker going to the bank. And I only do a run of no more than 300 books. Each one is over 200 pages 8 x 10.
Can you tell me how I can get to the classified ads ... I checked the whole site and could not find it.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, Charles, for the info and welcome back Joan. I, too, have purchased one of your books (Mid-Atlanic shipwrecks). I use it frequently in my research. Hope to hear more on your new books ?:)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Our posts must've crossed, Joan. Thanks for the book info.

To get to the classifieds, go to the forums' home page and look under the banner "Marketplace." It's just under there.

S

seaseeker

Thanks, Darren. Can you believe it still took me three tries. Some researcher I am! LOL. Anyway,Ii posted under "Dealers". I can't believe it is for free. Wow. I still find it hard to navigate this site. But I think I will keep at it. It is really neat.

MrTideman

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2005
Hi Charles, and others here, from a search of: "Teach's Light" after seeing that Blackbeard special on T.V. the other day, finding that report of the light keeping a "direct line" even "while the wind was blowing at the rate of 40 miles an hour" http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/Sections/hs/bath/legends-teachslight.htm See also for these quotes and "Dismal Swamp" gets you to http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1996/vp960512/05090180.htm for "A Spanish galleon sank centuries ago near what used to be the Currituck Inlet, not far from the Corolla lighthouse. It went down with $1 million in gold. The inlet filled in, and the galleon has never been found." And so speaking of "filled in" under land now, it might be: (1) under dry sandy land, as in http://www.sunnybank-nc.com/?p=22 for "Currituck Inlet", or (2) the "Spungy" type, over at http://www.surveyhistory.org/va_&_nc_bounary_line.htm

Is this $1 million galleon, the La Galga? If so, it was found in ____ by Sea Hunt, see over at http://www.shipwreckregistry.com/index12.htm for its 1998 permit to explore "for submerged vessels along the Virginia Coast" (thus including this Va. & N.C. boundary line) and when they also found the Juno, Spain contested both claims, winning ownership over Juno, but not the La Galga as it was "express(ly) abandoned" through "Article XX of the 1763 Definitive Treaty of Peace". So who was right, if this $1 million one was the La Galga? Dave Horner, or Rbt. Marx? And if the $1 million one was that unidentified one in David Stick's book, then still under the sands? Hey! How much does somebody pay for these shifting sands nowadays? To maybe go looking with land magnetomers to locate such anomalies, buy the land, start digging, and recover with complete ownership, or is that too simple? Sounds like a list of those "abandoned" are the ones to find, since this Sea Hunt group spent "nearly a million dollars in its search" but to yield $__________ in net profits? The finders of the S.S. Republic I read about "buying" these ownership rights BEFORE any search, so to do the same for whoever owns/owned this $1 million one?

Yours truly, "MrTideman" / P.S. re: the VA-news link above, see also for another story of a "pirate treasure is buried there" = "a small community in Camden County on the Pasquotank River called Treasure Point." and for a nice colorful picture of this river and the banks (of gold?) see over at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hollys/Gilbertinfo.html Does anybody have, what Paul Harvey says, is the rest of the story?

C

Charles,Oak Island

Welcome MrTideman,
thats going to be one of the 1750 ships. As for the price of sand near the beach here on Oak Island a 50ft by 100 ft section three blocks off the beach is going for $225,000 so don't even ask the price of beach front property any where in NC unless you got a extra mill or two to spend.

S

seaseeker

Hey Critter,
Did you ever retire? It's been ages since I posted. Didn't know how to do a reply to Mr. Tideman. I still have trouble navigating this chatroom.
You know me and that 1750 fleet! Galga orginally found by Richard Cook at the Maryland/Virginia line. I helped with the primary sources. Dave Horner's book puts it in the wrong place. No one sank at Currituck ... the Los Godos made it to Norfolk and was condemned. Guadalope partially sank at Ocracoke, then was raised, repaired and sold.
As for the Juno ... twenty different people will tell you it sank in twenty different places from Delaware to Virginia. Sea Hunt never had a definitive artifact raised from the wreck they claim as the Juno. They should have called it "unidentified" then Spain would have had no claim. Oh, well, that's the way it goes.
I finally made it into North Carolina ... Edenton ... a bit north from you. North Carolina is a neat state. Might make it to Nagshead this summer.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Hey, Charles,
Glad to see your back. Haven't heard from you in a long time. Drop me a line.
xXx
David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions