AQUASCAN MC5 MAG FISH

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My MC5 mag is quite reliable, and I have it dressed up with serial outputs, GPS interface, ect. But, it needs a replacement fish/tow cable, I THINK. Looking for local repair in the Treasurecoast area, or, to buy a replacement fish-tow cable assembly for the MC5 specifically. It has been well taken care of, but there is a possibility that the cable is shorted at the connector end (the end opposite the fish). Otherwise, everything checks out OK. Any suggestions or assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I have a MC5 that was factory modified to be used with a
toroid sensor.

The MC5 cable is a double shielded coaxial cable. Aquascan
sells it but it's about $3.00 per foot.

I think that any good quality coaxial cable would work. My toroid
has a pressureproof underwater connector mounted on it where the
cable connects. I don't know the manufacturer of the moulded
connector. Bob at Aquascan could probably help you out. He has
been very helpful to me in the past.

Just remember that the new cable you use must be strong enough
to pull he sensor through the water. I think Bob told me that the cable
was just strong enough to tow the sensor. I could check on his
exact wording if you like.

You might want to google "Radio Ham" suppliers to help locate
a double shielded coax. I seem to remember seeing it listed there.

LOL
Dinkydick

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bob at Aquascan: 305-852-4868.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Aquascan International Ltd.
Aquascan House
Hill Street
Newport
Gwent
NP20 1LZ
Wales
United Kingdom

Telephone
+44 1633 841117

Fax
+44 1633 254829

Opening Hours
Our office is open between 9:00am and 5:00pm GMT, Monday to Friday.

I have Bob's email address, but will have to post it later from my other PC.

Robert

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Salvor1 said:
That 305 area code number is actually for Carl Frederick of Research, Search & Salvage, the Aquascan dealer in the Florida keys
Thats right Salvor1 (or whoever you are) but Signumops was looking for a LOCAL dealer, not someone in another country.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Carl will most likely order a new part if thats whats needed, but if it needs repair, it will most likely be sent back to Aquascan. I like dealing with Bob directly, Carl can be hard to get a hold of sometimes.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I sent my Aquapulse to Carl and he replaced some components on the circuit board himself. He did a great job and it works like new. RS&S is located in Key Largo.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry,

You need to call Al at quantrosensing.hes in Grant near you.he should be able to fix any problems you have with your mag.

http://www.quantrosensing.com/

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Why not chop the offending end off the cable and remake the connector, particularly as you think it is the dry end of the cable. (if it turns out to be the wet end of the cable then remake that end and use Scotch potting compound to seal the join.

Most ROV's and towed arrays start out life with a good length of umbilical but it often gets shortened in the field, ( I once used a Recon 3 to survey the Zakum oil Field, the umbilical was in a terrible state, and over the 60 days we remade the cable 12 times, shortening the cable every time.) (The new umbilical was $30,000,00 back in 1994 so we did not want to pay for a new one)

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisheye & Cablava:

I will probably go to see Quantro, because its close, and Fisheye recommended it. (You were on the ball and sent me this link privately before, but I lost it... thanks again!).

Like Cablava said, I should probably cut off the offending end and re-solder it, but I don't have the guts!! So, when you don't have the guts, you gotta pay the other guy to do your dirty work. Mainly, though, I don't know if anything I did to the cable would be sufficient to "fix" the problem. I would just butcher it with my puny soldering iron. Let's face it: you can spend a fortune trying to locate stuff that you miss with your mag.

I noticed that performance degraded, and I had Steve Hodges get the diagnostic black box from Bill Seliger so I could test the topside stuff and it was fine. Must be the cable, because, while dry, the unit can find airplanes flying overhead 3 or 4 hundred feet away (always a great test, I think, just get in the runway flight-path at the local private airport).

I went on an assignment for a target that I am fairly sure was there, got one good ping, then nothing(#$%??!!) and this was in about 50 feet of water. I want to re-visit the place, but this time, I want to be absolutely sure the mag is completely responsive. After all, it is a new year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions