Who wants to FIND 1715 TREASURE!

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
GoldHound Update!

We have been out just a few days this season so far. The vis is getting better and the seas are finally starting to lay down. Its hard to tell all that I am doing because when I do I usually have boats diving on my spot afterwards. For the past five seasons I have been tracking the remains of which I believe is Ubilla's Capitana or Corrigains wreck. This wreck when it went down was carrying 1300 chest of coins with 3,000 coins in each chest that's about 122 tons of silver. The Spanish recovered about 1,000+ chests which leaves near 300 chest unaccounted for. I believe this pile of silver is still lying on the bottom of the sea because no one in modern times has found the bottom to corrigians. The real 8 group in the 1960's and 70's found the bottom to cabin which I believe is Ubilla's Almiranta, thousands of coins were recovered. In modern times maybe 2 to 3 chest have been found on corrigains.
In the past few seasons i have been magging off corrigains trying to follow the wreck backwards. To date I have found 5 Anchors set up in a specific grid pattern which indicate to me that the Spaniards used them to buoy the search area. I have found 2 ballast dumps, cannon balls, bar shot, spikes, pins, ceramics, lead sheathing , musketballs and 2 giant mast rings (or from the bowsprit) and still have hundreds of mag targets way off shore where no one has looked. all this material has lead me to an area that is very deep sand (over 10'). I believe this is where the bottom is. My goal is to continue following this trail until I find the bottom. It's out there!

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
thanks GOHO! :thumbsup: i am pulling hard for you and crew! and all 1715 salvage operations for 08! b

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Quick answer is at least 40 percent! :coffee2:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wishing you the best of luck in all this Greg! I am enjoying reading your updates and such. I am so glad you decided to join Tnet and to share with those of us that are not able to go with you. Also hope that now that you are here more folks will know of the opportunity to join you and get a chance to live that dream as well! Happy Hunting to you!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brett, Greg gets to keep at least 40%, you are just paying for the experience, which would be well worth the money. If you want to invest more, you can keep some of what you find, and it's still cheaper than buying most certified coins online.

Our salvage group got started in much the same way on a different boat, we were very lucky and were invited for free as friends. Still, getting to do this is an experience you won't soon forget, and you won't find many "tour guides" as good as Greg on the 1715 fleet. It's a great idea, and a wonderful way for those who can't drop everything and become a treasure hunter, to experience the thrill.

Jason

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Thanks Jason, I couldnt have said it better myself.

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Yeah Jason and I'm going to get the chance in June, Greg and the crew are as good as they come and its just a matter of time before they find those other chest.. Thanks for the update Greg . Good luck out there Mark

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Will, you'd certainly enjoy the experience. Regarding the state, as long as it's done properly and legally (which Greg does) there are no problems. The state does require you to either have your own salvage permit, or work as a sub-contractor for someone who does (Mel Fisher). Provided those rules are followed, the salvor donates up to 20% of his finds to the Florida Board of Historical Recources. Generally, we give them a list of everything we have found in a given year, and they request which items they want for their collection. They are not greedy, and they rarely take the full 20% anymore. What they want is a representative collection (a few of everything), so if you find a coin dated 1709, and they don't have any, they'll take it. But, if you find 300 coins dated 1714, and they have many, they wouldn't take any of them.

Not a bad deal considering what you get in most states these days. Now if we could get them to issue NEW salvage leases, we'd be in good shape and they'd get a lot more artifacts for their collection.
Jason

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
ScubaFinder said:
Brett, Greg gets to keep at least 40%, you are just paying for the experience, which would be well worth the money. If you want to invest more, you can keep some of what you find, and it's still cheaper than buying most certified coins online.

Our salvage group got started in much the same way on a different boat, we were very lucky and were invited for free as friends. Still, getting to do this is an experience you won't soon forget, and you won't find many "tour guides" as good as Greg on the 1715 fleet. It's a great idea, and a wonderful way for those who can't drop everything and become a treasure hunter, to experience the thrill.

Jason

Where's the fun in just watching and not collecting. If I'm going to pay money I want to keep what I find than rather pay for "treasure" from someone else. I can say "This is what I found". That's a real experience to me. Thanks for info.

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
If you want to be able to KEEP what you find then all you have to do is study all the research, build a treasure boat, buy metal detectors, get a contract from the fishers, put together a crew, pay for fuel $5.00 a gal, know where to go and hope that you find something, give the state 20% give fishers 50% and maybe just maybe you will get to keep that one piece you found. Treasure salvage is not cheap and its very hard work. Many if not most salvors that work 1715 find very little. There is only a few that consistently find treasure each year.
I offer a chance for someone to step right in to a active treasure recovery operation with very little money. For some people the dive for the day is perfect it gives you a chance to go out and dive and see what a treasure hunt is all about for only $300 bucks which by the way barley covers the fuel for the day. If you want more than that you can become a partner and receive a share of all that is found and dive as offten as you like. It's up to you but I think buying in on a already established treasure firm is way better than starting new.
There is always the option of spending the night on the beach in a hurricane and hunt for coins on the beach. Good Luck!

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
I already know the work it takes to "start" a salvaging adventure. I like the partnership better than just diving and not receiving. :icon_pirat:

So the Fishers are the only one entity here in Florida that one has to get a lease from?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Several entities have leases. The Fishers are the only ones who are gracious enough to offer subcontracting.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
do the fishers offer the same sub contracting in the keys? thank you for your time! b

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They do on the Margarita, but not the Atocha (1622). Most of the 1733 wrecks are within the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

OP
OP
GOHO

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
UPDATE!

Just wanted to say NOW is a GREAT time to dive! The ocean is flat and clear, 20' vis. We are finding artifacts everyday and it looks like the weather will hold until Saturday.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• dig001.jpg
    dig001.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 2,314

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
when time permits Capt Greg, give a quick update! thanks in advance! b :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread