best sluice for fine gold

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le Trap for me always. Even the thieves love them because I've had 2 stolen at different times!! Frame?? Frame?? Don' need no stinkn' frame-John :headbang:

I dont need no stinkin frame..Hoser Johns the man...You will need a piece of ply wood to go across the top, to put some rocks on, to hold sluice.

I dont understand why more people dont use the letrap...Its simply put, the best sluice in the world. Gold wont make it past the first 4 drops, and any idiot can set it up. I can't believe people use carpets, moss expanded metal, etc, when the letrapm is newer, better technology..Ive used quite a few sluices..the ltrap gets it all and cleans up in seconds, not minutes.

I run mine pretty flate and plenty deep. You know you are running a bit fast if its blowing black sand out unevenly...you still wont lose the gold!!...

As I said, I like to run mine flat and see the dirt collecting evenly, while the unclassified material blows out the back...

Keep the back clear with your shovel and dont be afraid to put your hands in the box to pull out the big rocks ...most should blow through..and again...keep that back end clear..dont worry about the front as much...

hope this helps

rawdog

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built my own sluice, black rubber mat from Depot, two sections of ribbed carpet also from depot, small section of expanded metal screen ( gutter gaurd) .. How you set it up makes all of the difference in the world. ( 1/2" of water and keep the back out of the water or just at the surface) I catch only fines and they are in the rubber matting at the front. But I have to classify, because the big rocks move the gold off of the black mat.. I assume it gets caught in the carpet, but as long as I classify it keeps up front. I also find lots of metal bits while panning out the cons. I have my eye on the bazooka gold trap.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My bazooka Miner caught very fine gold, no micro but very fine pintip stuff.

My new combo is the Bazooka and the E-Z sluice to cleanup its cons. :)

The E-Z sluice fits right down inside the underflow of the bazooka (along with other tools.)

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use an Angus with a 4" suction dredge that produces enough water and material flow to fill a swimming pool in short order. Once you get the angle right for the water flow, the sluice works like a charm. I preclassify the material before it goes onto the sluice, so that rocks and such don't bang the sluice. If you buy a sluice that offers "miners moss" and the like... the engineering might be suspect. There are a considerable number of people that buy products because others "identify" with it. Step out of the herd.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SO TRUE NCclaymaker!

Do your research and buy modern technology!

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SO TRUE NCclaymaker!

Do your research and buy modern technology!

Or build your own improved version of something you like for yourself if you're capable of doing so.
Crawfordsville July outing 097.jpg Crawfordsville July outing 098.jpg Herky flats gold.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well yes, if you are as good at making things as barndawg!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If that isnt fine gold I dont know what is, great job barndawg. :)

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neo , you want to see some fine gold, come up here to the Snake. And yes, the fluid beds do catch it

HeadHigh

Oct 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an Angus with a 4" suction dredge that produces enough water and material flow to fill a swimming pool in short order. Once you get the angle right for the water flow, the sluice works like a charm. I preclassify the material before it goes onto the sluice, so that rocks and such don't bang the sluice. If you buy a sluice that offers "miners moss" and the like... the engineering might be suspect. There are a considerable number of people that buy products because others "identify" with it. Step out of the herd.

curious to know which Angus Mckirk sluice you use with your dredge ?

i am thinking of getting the Great Northern Canadian for a high volume High Banker and want to find people who have used one for other opinions on it first

I had used a foreman sluice for the same job but its too small and i overwhelm it with too much gravel volume

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
No question the Gold Well sluice. As I mentioned on a thread I drove up to Dewey Az to help my friend set his up. My friend has been mining since 69. A neighbor of his gave him 5 five gallon buckets of solid black sand the was beat to death. Sluice, la trap and hand panned. For the test run I told my friend lets toss a couple gallons of the beat black sand into the Gold Well and see if we get anything. The photos speak for themselves. I was shocked at the huge amount of very fine flour gold recovered. My friend said he has never seen so much super fine flour gold come out of a machine. Let alone from beat to death black sand. We just dumped the black sand in and the Gold Well loved it.

image-2558589272.jpg

image-3410639639.jpg

image-642915768.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW Sarge! If your friends neighbor considered that as all cleaned out he really needs to learn how to do a proper cleaning! What I'm seeing in the pictures is NOT what I'd consider as "Superfine" gold at all. Either that or the scale is off because of whatever the gold and sand was sitting in for the pictures was not a standard sized gold pan.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stuff I consider super fine is just right on the edge of visibility with the naked eye.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Used my Iphone for the photo. It's there but the phone does not show it well. The club Gpap is having a outing at Woody's sat in Dewey, Az. Come see for yourself. The smallest stuff is powder and a lot of it. Directions to Woody's is on our Facebook group page Gpap group. You can run some yourself

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The Gpap of Phoenix is the largest GPAA chapter in the country. Our members are wound up over the Gold Well sluice. Why? Because we have seen what it can do. We will be experimenting with it and ill post results. Or if you are in Az come to a outing and see one in action. Bring your tailings and see the results. I or one of the members will run it for you. On our next test we will take one to a secret spot and we will be shoveling in unscreened dirt. Fast as we can just like we did with the black sand.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I was talking about the larger pieces that are clearly visible in the pictures Sarge. I can understand someone missing some of the gnat poop sized pieces, but those should not have been missed by anyone that knows what they are doing when cleaning cons.

Thanks for the invite but since it's almost a 5 hour trip each way for us we'll pass. Besides..... My sister lives in Prescott and that's too close for comfort! Just kidding of course. That's the "good" sister. The "Evil" one is in San Diego

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread