Sluice on a budget?

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will have to check Google Earth tonight to see how close that is to old mine sites, but IIRC that sounds about in the same area (southwest of chapel hill). Easiest thing to do is to just dig. Many creeks around here have been impounded so there can be a lot of silt on top but you can still find good material. Inside bends have been where I found color. Or if there are any boulders, just downstream of them can find color as well.
edit: Also don't get too disappointed if there has not been historical gold found there. I have found color way east of where gold should be, so you never know.

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to check Google Earth tonight to see how close that is to old mine sites, but IIRC that sounds about in the same area (southwest of chapel hill). Easiest thing to do is to just dig. Many creeks around here have been impounded so there can be a lot of silt on top but you can still find good material. Inside bends have been where I found color. Or if there are any boulders, just downstream of them can find color as well.
edit: Also don't get too disappointed if there has not been historical gold found there. I have found color way east of where gold should be, so you never know.

Thank you much!!!!! Ive just been using a small micro sluice with rubber riffles. Ive been getting black sand out of it and when i pan it the gold always floats away!!!! Darn. Maybe some jet dry would work? What would be a good sluice for me to upgrade to? i want something i can use here and denton. I guess the gold here is finer and in denton its larger. So i want the best of both worlds! Honestly how much water does the smallest bazooka need?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you much!!!!! Ive just been using a small micro sluice with rubber riffles. Ive been getting black sand out of it and when i pan it the gold always floats away!!!! Darn. Maybe some jet dry would work? What would be a good sluice for me to upgrade to? i want something i can use here and denton. I guess the gold here is finer and in denton its larger. So i want the best of both worlds! Honestly how much water does the smallest bazooka need?
The smallest Bazooka would be the Mini or the Supermini...they hardly need any water at all to run, they are amazing for portability and low water needs.

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smallest Bazooka would be the Mini or the Supermini...they hardly need any water at all to run, they are amazing for portability and low water needs.

Thanks for all your help Kevin!! I've been seeing you post a lot of replies to people on the forums! Just wanted to make sure I thanked you on behalf of myself and all the other prospectors out there!!!! Would you recommend the supermini or the mini for both denton and chapel hill?

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think im just gunna go with the bazooka mini!!!! is that a good choice?

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, do the minis come with a drop flair to set the perfect angle?

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Google Earth is showing most gold (and copper) to be in western orange county, but there is a lot of metamorphisized granite and other rock around in that area. Also the area has differing types of underlying rock. I would say there is a good chance that you have some placer gold about. I look for elevation changes and picture what patterns the water would have taken a while ago (before damming, etc).
As for BTTs, I have the mini and a prospector. The mini is nice for sampling, but you will want something bigger if you find gold. Mine is the smallest you can get. I classify down to 1/2" and it runs material better. I have the 36" prospector and that is better for processing material. It needs more water to move but you can shovel right into it.
In my (non-expert) opinion I would look at either the super mini or even better a sniper. The sniper seems like a good compromise if you are just looking to get 1 sluice and seems small enough to sample with it.

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of google earth plugin are you using? If i post a bunch of pictures and videos of the creek will you give me some pointers on where to dig?

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found one called Geologic units of North Carolina and the Mineral Resource Data System, which I think is state specific. A lot of the mines are old time mines. I use it more for general scouting.
Here is where I found the Geologic units of NC:
North Carolina geologic map data
Probably don't need to post pics or vids. Best scouting areas would be (again, in my non-expert opinion) the inside bend of a creek, especially if there is a formed sand or gravel bar. Also areas where the creek widens. Dig down as far as you can. But if the creek has gold, you should see some color dispersed throughout the bar as you go down through the overburden. Many creeks around here meander quite a lot, so you can find some color in many spots.
Price creek seems to have a couple good S-bends before it enters University lake. Pritchard Mill creek also makes a sharp right hand turn before entering the lake. (i'm speaking on the south of the lake) Not sure where your place is in relation to that (you don't have to) but that area looks like it will hold gold if it is there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Google Earth is showing most gold (and copper) to be in western orange county, but there is a lot of metamorphisized granite and other rock around in that area. Also the area has differing types of underlying rock. I would say there is a good chance that you have some placer gold about. I look for elevation changes and picture what patterns the water would have taken a while ago (before damming, etc). As for BTTs, I have the mini and a prospector. The mini is nice for sampling, but you will want something bigger if you find gold. Mine is the smallest you can get. I classify down to 1/2" and it runs material better. I have the 36" prospector and that is better for processing material. It needs more water to move but you can shovel right into it. In my (non-expert) opinion I would look at either the super mini or even better a sniper. The sniper seems like a good compromise if you are just looking to get 1 sluice and seems small enough to sample with it.
Exactly!

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the best one for denton?Also is there good non creek gold there? can someone gimme a list of stuff i need to take? thanks all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread