paddle wheel agitator for FB Gold Trap??

Fireline

Greenie
Sep 8, 2011
Fortine Mt
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think with an agitator setup instead of a fluid bed you would likely see stratification based on size as the likely force.
Fluid dynamics has been studied comprehensively and they can be set up pretty easily. And to ensure you have stratification based on specific gravity (as the dominant force), you can adjust sluice angle, scoop, tubes, holes, etc. You also have instant feedback if you can stick your finger in the fluid bed. You will feel if it is compacted and can adjust appropriately.

OP
OP
F

Fireline

Greenie
Sep 8, 2011
Fortine Mt
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of a fluid bed, with the agitation coming from an agitator instead of water pressure. I can see what you mean about the weight/size vs specific gravity. Thanks again!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of a fluid bed, with the agitation coming from an agitator instead of water pressure. I can see what you mean about the weight/size vs specific gravity. Thanks again!
yes this can work. Some guys I know have developed such a thing with small paddles rotating on a vertical axis, in a sort of big bowl, works good. They hand crank it but you could run a powered version as long as the paddles only move fast enough to fluidize and not much more.

OP
OP
F

Fireline

Greenie
Sep 8, 2011
Fortine Mt
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, Im working on a design. I have another question. Has anyone tried an opening near the bottom of the up stream side instead of using the tubes with holes like the picture below? Maybe with an adjustment door for flow modifications. Picture105.png

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unlikely to work smoothly. You really need to inject the water into the bulk of the material, not just at one end. The amount of science and practical experimentation involved here led me in the direction of buying a well tested, proven version...the Bazooka Goldtrap line was the winner!

OP
OP
F

Fireline

Greenie
Sep 8, 2011
Fortine Mt
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your help and input Kevin and pods. I like to tinker around, and there's still several feet of snow in the hills so I have some time. Ill use your advise along with the many other helpful posts here and attempt to build one. If that fails, I guess I will have to break down and buy a real one.

Thanks again!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your help and input Kevin and pods. I like to tinker around, and there's still several feet of snow in the hills so I have some time. Ill use your advise along with the many other helpful posts here and attempt to build one. If that fails, I guess I will have to break down and buy a real one. Thanks again!!
hey, if you get yours working...it IS a real one! Best of luck and I'm sure you'll have fun and learn a lot...

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your help and input Kevin and pods. I like to tinker around, and there's still several feet of snow in the hills so I have some time. Ill use your advise along with the many other helpful posts here and attempt to build one. If that fails, I guess I will have to break down and buy a real one.

Thanks again!!
Nothing ever fails, you just learn another way not to make a gold sluice. (I know, cheap rip off of Edison)
Tinkering is what makes it fun.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it weren't for tinkerers there would be no inventions or improvements on inventions.

My motto: "if it ain't broke, fix it anyway"

I bet there are over a thousand different mousetrap patents.
As long as there are mice there will continue to be more mousetrap inventions forthcoming.

As long as there is gold...................

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread