Got out a little today....................

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here it is... The moment I know you have all been waiting for..... Cleanup and weigh in of Fridays take.
I got the magnetics out of it but there is still a little junk in it, I figure about a grains worth of non-gold.... So we will call it approx. 5 grains +/- a little.

fullsizeoutput_12a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_12d.jpeg

Last edited:

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Johnedoe for inviting me along, was fun. Tons of work though (sarcasm), standing there watching the water do all the work. Should have brought lawn chairs and some beers, haha. Was a good day to be out and about too.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad you were able to make it.... Your right about the lawn chairs.... Next time we will try another little creek closer to your direction and maybe do a bit better.... and be better prepared for that excruciating workout....:laughing7:
Final cleanup is better than I expected though.....
Have a great week. .... :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking of going back up today but by the time I got everything done ... chores and all.... It just wouldn't be but about an hour and then pack back up.... so.. i will take the rest of the afternoon off and plan for the next trip which will also have better tides.

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1414284 This is Two Mile Creek at Seven Devils Wayside taken in bad light. It had more water than Whisky Run on Sun. More pics to come when I get time. I'll show the good sized grassy are with some protection if it blows NW. It's a day use area.

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see on google earth there are a couple more creeks just north of the wayside. Do you know anything about them?

7 devils.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1414284 This is Two Mile Creek at Seven Devils Wayside taken in bad light. It had more water than Whisky Run on Sun. More pics to come when I get time. I'll show the good sized grassy are with some protection if it blows NW. It's a day use area.

Were there any pretty good shows of black sand in the creek or on the beach? My observations through several summertime/dry season visits is that there is usually more flow there than at W. Run.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here it is... The moment I know you have all been waiting for..... Cleanup and weigh in of Fridays take.
I got the magnetics out of it but there is still a little junk in it, I figure about a grains worth of non-gold.... So we will call it approx. 5 grains +/- a little.

View attachment 1413960 View attachment 1413961

Drop that gold in a ceramic soapdish. Swirl it around and you'll be able to easily finish the separation process.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Intersting... give me an example of the ceramic soap dish your talking about.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure about the creeks to the north of the wayside except that if they were to be accessed it would have to be on the beach as it's private land bordering inland. They would be small creeks. I'll try to check that out when I can. Yes Two Mile Cr. I would say has more flow than Whiskey Run. I did not see much black sand showing that was obvious, but didn't have tall enough boots to look up the creeks for black sand. I'm having trouble uploading my pics, but will work on it. There is what looks like iron stained cobble on Two Mile. Please understand that I have very little experience prospecting in these creeks and on the beach. I have had experience on the inland Bandon plateau on private property that I had lost access due to a divorce of the property owners. The same gold is there inland, lots of -100 and it is of course old ocean bottom. I had a sample program going at the time and was having some success booming with a 3" and a work in progress over under sluice. That's all history dang it as she got the gold mine and my buddy got the shaft. Since then I have been prospecting in the national forest inland. I'll try to get these pics uploaded and get down to the beach and see if I can find some black sand. In my view so far I see Two mile Cr. at Seven Devils as a good place for a daytime cookout as well as sluicing in the creek with more than likely a low flow sluice to a gold cube. Someone with the right gear should take a crack at it for a better gold idea, but I will keep looking at it and answer any questions.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's for the heads up wildminer.....

Maybe I can get down that way in a couple weeks...

Maybe you can get free then as well..... we'll keep in touch on this.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's Kevin.
I will look into that....
However, remember I am dealing with -100 and smaller gold here.
I wish gold was as course as you have there.....:icon_thumleft:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank's Kevin.
I will look into that....
However, remember I am dealing with -100 and smaller gold here.
I wish gold was as course as you have there.....:icon_thumleft:

It works even better with really fine gold...that's what i "invented" it for. It also works better with material all in the same size range...just like everything else: size matters!

Technique for you:
1. Set dish on a solid, smooth surface (tabletop not work bench)
2. Put the -100 gold (and not gold) in the soap dish
3. Include a very small amount of jet dry and water (add a little more if needed along the way)
4. Grasp the dish by the outside edges and move it in a circular fashion while still flat on the table. Speed up as you get the feel for it but high speed will not be needed.
5. When you stop the motion you'll see a tail of "not gold" to suck up at one end of your material!

Of course you can also use a backwashing technique with the soap dish. The super smooth surface means you can be both quick and gentle at the same time, important for -50 and -100 gold. You'll be surprised at how little water is needed for backwashing...if it's not working for you, take out some of the water!

Also, if you want to be compulsively thorough (like me!) whatever you suck out with these processes should go in a finish pan for reinspection.

I've added this detail to my website article on finish processing your cons. To read the whole article go to http://findinggoldincolorado.com/finish-processing-your-concentrates-after-a-day-of-digging/

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It works even better with really fine gold...that's what i "invented" it for. It also works better with material all in the same size range...just like everything else: size matters!

Technique for you:
1. Set dish on a solid, smooth surface (tabletop not work bench)
2. Put the -100 gold (and not gold) in the soap dish
3. Include a very small amount of jet dry and water (add a little more if needed along the way)
4. Grasp the dish by the outside edges and move it in a circular fashion while still flat on the table. Speed up as you get the feel for it but high speed will not be needed.
5. When you stop the motion you'll see a tail of "not gold" to suck up at one end of your material!

Of course you can also use a backwashing technique with the soap dish. The super smooth surface means you can be both quick and gentle at the same time, important for -50 and -100 gold. You'll be surprised at how little water is needed for backwashing...if it's not working for you, take out some of the water!

Also, if you want to be compulsively thorough (like me!) whatever you suck out with these processes should go in a finish pan for reinspection.

Thank's Kevin.... I will certainly give this a try.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We got nearly 7" of rain last night here on the Oregon coast.......... And it is still coming down hard this morning.

So guess what?

I will be heading back to my little beach tomorrow and setting up in that freshet again.

It should be running strong and the weather tomorrow is supposed to be halfway decent and the tides are more favorable for the earlier part of the day.

I will actually try to get some good pics and maybe even some video.

So we shall see what tomorrow brings.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 7.46.20 AM.png
Tide chart from...
http://magicseaweed.com/Florence-Surf-Report/696/

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry guys, what is the freshet creek? Is that the name?

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It is usually a small stream that has swollen in size and flow from recent heavy
rains.

This little freshet that I am letting do the work is little more than a seep most of the time and especially in the summer, barely enough water to wet the sand.... But with the rains we have been having it has turned into a usable stream.

Freshet | Define Freshet at Dictionary.com

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 7.52.12 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I made out and it was a pretty nice day....
Spent a little over an hour on the beach and let the freshet run through the sluices....
I also moved 1 cart load of sand through the sluices.....
I'll have the cleanup finished later this evening....
IMG_0243.JPG fullsizeoutput_13f.jpeg IMG_0246.JPG fullsizeoutput_13d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13c.jpeg

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what I got from the initial shake out...
I do a quick shake out pan and just get the cream so to speak then I do a more intensive panning afterward.

Here's 1st 2nd & 3rd shakeout pans.
fullsizeoutput_139.jpeg fullsizeoutput_13a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_138.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions