Got out a little today....................

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I went up to my little beach today but didn't take the sluice....At least this time I did take a couple buckets with me and brought back about 2/3rds of a 5 gal bucket.

Now I'm bummed because I didn't take the sluice..... Granted the weather today really sucked and almost didn't go at all.

Anyway here is a little glimpse of the recovery.... This is the first little shake out and clean of the cons... did two more shake outs and got about double that amount for a total...

IMG_0173.JPG

And here is what the beach surface looked like... just skim. No thick layers....

View attachment 1411111

Here's a quick little video of the surface... I think I am going to get back out there in the coming days... especially since the weather will be breaking and the tides are favorable.

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! That's good for that amount of material JD. The attachment and video won't play for me. Are you just screening and panning to get to the good stuff?

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That's good for that amount of material JD. The attachment and video won't play for me. Are you just screening and panning to get to the good stuff?

OH god no .... I run it through my cleanup equipment , then a quick finish panning does the trick.....
I Don't have to screen since it is all beach sand and -100 mesh.

About the only thing that would make it even easier would be to dry it and pull the magnetics then do the finish pan....
But I don't toss the cons because I will do that at some point.

The attachment is the same as the pic... and the video should open for you.. It's a youtube vid.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a nice run for a couple buckets :) Lookin good :) We're going to be at Bullards Beach in July from the 19th to the 24th in our new trailer. And we're going to check in with mom either before or after and see if we can hook up there and stay awhile. I'm thinking it would be a neat place to watch the eclipse from if we can find a spot... :)

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's a nice run for a couple buckets :) Lookin good :) We're going to be at Bullards Beach in July from the 19th to the 24th in our new trailer. And we're going to check in with mom either before or after and see if we can hook up there and stay awhile. I'm thinking it would be a neat place to watch the eclipse from if we can find a spot... :)

Hey Reed. it will be great to see you two again.
Oh yeah... August 21 2017 that should be a good one, total eclipse here...

Here is a rather cool site to keep you updated on celestial events.
Today's night sky

Here's what Oregon will see of the eclipse.... Depot Bay will get a total eclipse we will see about 99% here.
August 21, 2017 Total Eclipse of the Sun

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullards beach?

Look for this.
Years ago I found a lot of petrified wood on that beach.... This example is sitting on my desk.

DSCN1830.JPG

DSCN1831.JPG

DSCN1834.JPG

Rock/wood is 6 inches wide.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullards beach?

Look for this.
Years ago I found a lot of petrified wood on that beach.... This example is sitting on my desk.

View attachment 1411277

View attachment 1411278

View attachment 1411279

Rock/wood is 6 inches wide.

That looks fun :) Every year they hold a fiberglass rv rally at Bullards and we are meeting another couple there and then we will be staying a while. We'll have to all get together and I'll have my gold cube trommel with me also, so we can slap the beach hard hopefully, or see how it works in beach sand at least. :)

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be interested in bringing fresh salmon or tuna down to Bullards since it is in my back yard if anyone was interested. Can't promise though as my boat is for sale, but will be fishing it if it's not sold. Not bragging, but it's the best right off the bbq grill.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in bringing fresh salmon or tuna down to Bullards since it is in my back yard if anyone was interested. Can't promise though as my boat is for sale, but will be fishing it if it's not sold. Not bragging, but it's the best right off the bbq grill.

Yes!!
And oysters.......

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like a great plan..... BBQ fish, oysters, and who know what other goodies will be brought to the gathering... and we will have to work some sand too.

Whiskey Run is only a couple miles north.

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John and all, I'd sure like to get together with you folks for an outing like this. I'm just down the coast a ways.

Mike

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds like a great plan..... BBQ fish, oysters, and who know what other goodies will be brought to the gathering... and we will have to work some sand too.

Whiskey Run is only a couple miles north.

:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
Near the town of Bandon, the ocean beach black sand deposits produced rich placers and they are still being worked today at a profit. These beach sands produced platinum and of coarse Oregon Gold. East of Bandon, the elevated marine terraces as high as 170 feet have been worked for the ancient black sand deposits and are said to be rich. North of Bandon, all the way to Cape Arago, in the black sand is very fine placer gold and platinum. Also North of Bandon by 10 miles in township 27S, and range 14W, in section 10 you will find the Seven Devils Mine. It was worked for gold and platinum in the early days and for chromium in 1942-43. In Coos Bay on the ocean beaches North and South of the Coquille River produce platinum and Oregon gold in black sand deposits. Near the town of Powers you will find the Independence Mine which was a large lode mine.

At the turn of the century Whiskey run Creek was the scene of a very large Chinese placer operation. Today the beach sands and the creek itself have a lot of fine gold. Whiskey Run Creek is located about 6 miles northwest of Bandon on Highway 101.
:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is pavement at the end of the road at whiskey run and the creek is right there. You could cut some of the gorse out with nippers (stickers on stickers) and work up the creek a little. I've only casually panned there for just a few colors, but someone with a good beach setup will do better there. You can drive on the beach there with a street legal vehicle and a mile (est.) down the beach is Cut Creek which has the old Eagle mine up the creek that produced a lot of magnetite, iridium, platinum gold and if memory is right chromite. It is private land and hasn't been worked in years and wasn't ever a great producer. I've been told there was a bucket line dredge on the creek just above where it meets the ocean by some old local Indians. I've been trying to get up to my test creek in the Powers Ranger District and if it shows better I'll be happy to share w/Tnetters. Research Oregon Historical mines and click on Coos County as well as Land Matters of course. :wink:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey John and all, I'd sure like to get together with you folks for an outing like this. I'm just down the coast a ways.

Mike

Hey Mike.
By all means, at the rate this is going we will have to meet at a dig site on the beach just to accommodate all of us.....:icon_thumleft:
And I think that is a great idea. We will get this all figured out as the time approaches.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is gold in them there beaches, all the way up to Washington! That's not too far away...

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a reality check and not meant to put any kind of damper on things. In July the high pressure offshore gets sucked down to the low pressure in central Kalifornia causing miserable northwest winds especially in the afternoons, however it still can be very nice if the high is not real high. The beach itself will be mounds of blonds, but the creeks still should be running. At the end of the road at Whiskyrun it should be somewhat protected. When the tide is out you can drive on the wet sand to get to Cut Creek. I recommend 4x4. I've never looked, but people look for agates below Cut Creek. I've been there in my wild and crazy days 4wheeling on the beach and have seen the cobbled area where they look. Another bonus is the surf perch fishing along the beach. Google that to learn the technique. Also a few razor clams if there is a good minus tide and mussels on the rocks above Whisky. Just looked at my tide book and good minus tides July 22-24, which unfortunately is more than likely to be windy during these minus tides. I might add (which John Doe may know) I busted "the fossiker" testing his equipment at Whisky Run noting the sea stacks in the background in one of his videos. Search that to get an idea of what is there. btw Whisky Run was named in the beach mining days when it was a commercial operation and the mine owner or foreman brought a bunch of whisky to the beach and hollered out to the miners on the beach "WHISKY BOYS RUN", ha ha I'm pretty sure they ran!

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... Yeah I kinda forgot about our lovely summer winds and fog...

We that live here just don't give it that much thought anymore....

Here in Florence I call the convection winds "Valley Suck".... Hot in the valley pulls the cool ocean air in and we get WIND.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildminer.... Do you know if the bucket line dredge is on private property? Photo op!!
That is a loooooooooong beach. Seven Devils to Bullard's is further then I want to walk.

Careful.....:BangHead:

bullards.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread