Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The condition having to be compelled. From the dictionary as to what to be compelled about something means, is more than just to be interested:

com·pel
kəmˈpel/
verb
[COLOR=#878787 !important]past tense: compelled; past participle: compelled[/COLOR]

• force or oblige (someone) to do something.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"a sense of duty compelled Harry to answer her questions"[/COLOR]
    synonyms:force, pressure, press, push, urge; More

• bring about (something) by the use of force or pressure.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"they may compel a witness's attendance at court by issue of a summons"[/COLOR]
    • [COLOR=#878787 !important]literary[/COLOR]
      drive forcibly.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"by heav'n's high will compell'd from shore to shore"[/COLOR]

I don't feel like trying to fix what I'm quoting but you said Tom wanted "compelling evidence" not "compelled evidence". Big difference.

And if you want to argue about that, then you just want to argue.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, almost 10 years this has rolled. I remember when Sony introduced a filter that allowed you to see through clothes with there new digital cam years ago and after a few "young male teens" learned its ability it soon got recalled..LOL . In the military we found numerous ways to become "invisible" and this technology is now OLD. As for going through organic and inorganic material and placing it on a metal detector or something of that sort may or may not happen.. NOTHING with technology surprises me today. Im sure Gerrit Kemerink got the same results when he said I found a machine that can see through skin....

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good one as soon as permission is granted to dig. IMG_8507.JPG

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks. Notice in Carl of NC's post 1127 in the paragraph marked #2, first line, in talking about DV's claim, Carl says this: "...but if auras are really in the infrared region like he claims....'

Look, either they "taint real", do not exist, that cameras cannot capture them like he says, then, well, in reality, despite all the noise Carl makes, Carl does not really know. i been laughing about this line for quite some time now.

Nice pics, elh.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i been laughing about this line for quite some time now.

Glad you got a tickle from that. Besides being funny, that post is packed with genuinely useful information. I'd wager that #1127 has more real information in it than the remaining 1147 posts (so far) of this entire thread. Now that's knee-slapping hilarious.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got a tickle from that. Besides being funny, that post is packed with genuinely useful information. I'd wager that #1127 has more real information in it than the remaining 1147 posts (so far) of this entire thread. Now that's knee-slapping hilarious.
I noticed the information in there. I will be giving it a try some day to see if it is useful for success or failure as Tom of CA thinks. But, you go back and forth so what is one to make of it? To a certain degree, I think Tom of Ca wishes you would now go away. LOL.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what you mean. I've been pretty consistent for 20-something years.
Carl:In the very first line of your post #1127, you say this to Cybercore: Cybercore, the concept of treasure auras is a farce. Pretend.Make-believe. Tain't real.
Next, you say this about processing: “The resulting images will be extremely dark; pass them through gamma-correction software and, voila!, you have auras.”

Carl: Next you get into how you think one should do it: “If you want to truly experiment with IR, then here's an alternative:
1. Get a camera with a CCD sensor. The Canon uses a CMOS sensor, and CCD has better low-light and IR sensitivity. My personal choice is a Minolta 7D, but they are almost collector items now. A possible good (and cheap) choice is a Sony Alpha A100, the follow-on after Sony bought Minolta. Should work just as well but I've never tried it.”

Carl: Next you indicate you are not sure. See your words I highlight herein bold and underlined:

2. Remove the internal IR filter. DV says Don't Do This, but if auras are really in the infrared region like he claims then it makes no sense to intentionally kill the IR light coming in, except for the fact that it produces luminance noise and people can pretend they are auras.There is plenty of info on the web as to how to remove the filter.You could replace it with an IR-pass filter (lots of IR photographers do this), but I recommend a glass spacer, and doing all the filtering at the front of the lens.

Carl: Now you tell how to reveal either an aura or luminance noise Your words are in bold and underlined.
3. Get a variety of IR pass filters for the lens. Play around with the normal camera settings,and you will get some stunning IR photographs. Cut way back on the exposure time, or maybe throw in an IR blocking filter, and you can get a really dark image that can be post-processed to reveal either an aura or luminance noise. Depending on whether you were photographing buried gold or a dog turd.

Carl:So, according to you, can a camera capture or be made to capture auras or not?

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This thread is like the Energizer Bunny. it keeps going, and going, and going...............

Insetead of all the speculation, why haven't we seen actual in the wild proof that someone with a camera is actually finding buried gold?

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is like the Energizer Bunny. it keeps going, and going, and going...............

Insetead of all the speculation, why haven't we seen actual in the wild proof that someone with a camera is actually finding buried gold?
Well Scuba, your question has been asked numerous times and also answered numerous times. It would not be wise to do it. Mel Fisher is a good example of what can happen. I have a friend who lost it all once he got the news people out to take a look. Also I did post a small one back a couple years ago on the dowsing forum. it was'nt enough to worry about but folks did not believe it was found by dowsing. Sssooooooo, never again.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Scuba, your question has been asked numerous times and also answered numerous times. It would not be wise to do it. Mel Fisher is a good example of what can happen. I have a friend who lost it all once he got the news people out to take a look. Also I did post a small one back a couple years ago on the dowsing forum. it was'nt enough to worry about but folks did not believe it was found by dowsing. Sssooooooo, never again.

Well said elh.

I know of a guy who when looking for arrow heads stumbled onto a pile of gold bars, old civil war weapons and old sweating dynamite in a cave. When he told the government about it, they asked him where it was. He said he would show them if he got a cut. They said they could not promise that. So he refused to show them.

Oh, I get it, you skeptics don't believe this can happen. That's OK. Here, take a read:

Man says he's found treasure, will let it sit hidden in desert | | azdailysun.com

I know of a another story like it only the government agents took what the person found. He ended up with nothing.

You see, skeptic, it's not the method or tool used for finding the target that counts, its what happens when everyone and their cousins, especially the government, learns of the find, and what happens to the person who does the finding. Change the repressive laws to favor the finder and you will get answers.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl:So, according to you, can a camera capture or be made to capture auras or not?

For someone who got a chuckle out of that post, a lot of it sure went over your head. The first line is a pretty good summary of what I think about treasure auras and aura photography in general. I tried to make it crystal clear so that any subsequent tongue-in-cheek comment would be -- err -- obvious. Or maybe not.

Even though aura photography is a whole lotta hooey, infrared photography is real, and even potentially useful in treasure hunting for things other than make-believe auras. But you gotta know what you're doing, have the right equipment, and use it in an IR-useful way. Pretty much the opposite of what Villanueva teaches. The stuff I posted is Useful Information for pursuing reality-based IR photography, for whatever it is you want to do with it.

Obviously, someone could take the information I posted and use it to see if it does better at aura photography than Villanueva's approach. And actually, I posted that information not only to offer a Reality Approach to IR photography, but also to demonstrate just how silly Villanueva's methods are by showing what would really be needed if IR auras were real. And I would have no problem whatsoever if folks take my approach and use it to immerse themselves in more make-believe treasure hunting. Hey, if it's fun, then go have fun!

I have the same views with dowsing and LRLs. Both are a bunch of nonsense, and some of it is outright fraud. But I've published information on how to make dowsing devices and various LRLs. If people want to pretend to be Big Time Treasure Hunters, heck, I don't mind saving them a few bucks. Doesn't mean I believe in the nonsense.

Get it?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For someone who got a chuckle out of that post, a lot of it sure went over your head. The first line is a pretty good summary of what I think about treasure auras and aura photography in general. I tried to make it crystal clear so that any subsequent tongue-in-cheek comment would be -- err -- obvious. Or maybe not.

Even though aura photography is a whole lotta hooey, infrared photography is real, and even potentially useful in treasure hunting for things other than make-believe auras. But you gotta know what you're doing, have the right equipment, and use it in an IR-useful way. Pretty much the opposite of what Villanueva teaches. The stuff I posted is Useful Information for pursuing reality-based IR photography, for whatever it is you want to do with it.

Obviously, someone could take the information I posted and use it to see if it does better at aura photography than Villanueva's approach. And actually, I posted that information not only to offer a Reality Approach to IR photography, but also to demonstrate just how silly Villanueva's methods are by showing what would really be needed if IR auras were real. And I would have no problem whatsoever if folks take my approach and use it to immerse themselves in more make-believe treasure hunting. Hey, if it's fun, then go have fun!

I have the same views with dowsing and LRLs. Both are a bunch of nonsense, and some of it is outright fraud. But I've published information on how to make dowsing devices and various LRLs. If people want to pretend to be Big Time Treasure Hunters, heck, I don't mind saving them a few bucks. Doesn't mean I believe in the nonsense.

Get it?
Sure, I get it.

Still the same, don't expect any pictures and solid compelling evidence until the laws are changed to favor the finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread