Digging Tools - Wrong Right side serated for right handed people.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purchased the wrong Lesche 48 serrated side as I am right handed, I may need to mod my digger with serrations on the inside to cut plugs from the outside - in as I am used to digging and will be easier on my shoulder. Buyer beware of this when choosing to buy this as some sites state Right Side Serrated which is used mostly for left handed people. Rule of thumb is to purchase the serrated side in towards you and depending if you are left or right handed.:laughing7:

Has anyone done this and would making two serrated sides lessen the digging affect working out a plug and create more work? Has anyone sharpen the other side to allow this to be still manageable, maybe only do three serrations on the lower mid section and leave the rest sharpened blade?

Metal Detecting is like fishing I find, I cast, or detect with my right hand and I real and dig with my right where it should be with my left, anyone else like this? I will try switching with my left on my next hunt to see if I can stay with the change.. maybe better off contacting the dealer where I got it from and see if I can exchange my digger if all else fails.

Kellyco has a nice way of explaining the differences.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/ls-digging-cutting-tool-with-sheath

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In good soil it shouldn't matter all that much.
In most Kansas soil under normal conditions I could cut that stuff with a butter knife easily.
If you come across lots of tree roots the cutting edge comes into play, some kinds of grass in different parts of the country can have tougher roots than others.

I put cuts into the opposite side of my Lesche digger once, I thought it would be easier and faster to have the ability to cut both ways.
Not all that true it turned out, and when I happened to break it one day that lifetime warranty they have on that tool was not in play because I modded it.
I don't do that anymore...if you leave it alone they will replace it if it ever fails.

Look into maybe trading it with another hunter that has the opposite side cuts before you mod this thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense and will take that advise without modding it. I also have a Hori Hori with left side serrated I can always switch from if needed as well.

Thanks for the tip.

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using a hand digging tool, you will have better leverage cutting in towards your body than outward.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When using a hand digging tool, you will have better leverage cutting in towards your body than outward.

That is the way I plan on digging my plugs for sure, I think I will give it another go and if anyone knows if just sharpening the Lesche digger voids your warranty Im not sure but won't anyways. I realized that cutting exta groves on the other non serrated side will only weeken the metal over time and think that this would really be unnecessary and that would void your Lifetime warranty. I will try my left hand and see if this helps.

By the way my Lesche came in the box with no warranty mentioned or card, is this true they have a limmited life time warrany, I did not get it from Kelyco but just thought I ask.

Nice to here back from you directly.

Thanks Chris!:icon_thumright:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Technically I believe it is some kind of limited warranty, maybe 2-5 years or something like that but don't quote me on that.
It doesn't really matter...in reality for those of us that have managed to break one, not just the hand digger but their Sampson line or whatever, if you call them and ask them about it we all get the same instructions...
"Send it in and we will replace it."
They don't care how old it is, how it got broken or ask for any receipts or paperwork...just send it in.
Within a week or so you should receive a new one in the mail.
Regarding the hand digger you can request cuts on either side on your replacement because they don't care...they just want happy, satisfied customers.

BTW, when talking to the nice lady that answered the phone I asked about hand diggers with cuts on both sides and they do have them and will send that model to you if you ask.
However these prototype models have never been thoroughly tested in the field so they have no warranty on them whatsoever...if you break one no free replacement.
For most they will probably last forever but I am hard on my tools, I do a lot of prying that I shouldn't so I have broken two of these so far.
I opted for the single side cut version as a replacement just to be safe.

Last edited:

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a gator digger and I cut serrations on the smooth side and it works great.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am right handed and I sue the one in the pic just fine. When cutting a plug I grab it with both hands and cut my plug in a clockwise motion.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Technically I believe it is some kind of limited warranty, maybe 2-5 years or something like that but don't quote me on that.
It doesn't really matter...in reality for those of us that have managed to break one, not just the hand digger but their Sampson line or whatever, if you call them and ask them about it we all get the same instructions...
"Send it in and we will replace it."
They don't care how old it is, how it got broken or ask for any receipts or paperwork...just send it in.
Within a week or so you should receive a new one in the mail.
Regarding the hand digger you can request cuts on either side on your replacement because they don't care...they just want happy, satisfied customers.

BTW, when talking to the nice lady that answered the phone I asked about hand diggers with cuts on both sides and they do have them and will send that model to you if you ask.
However these prototype models have never been thoroughly tested in the field so they have no warranty on them whatsoever...if you break one no free replacement.
For most they will probably last forever but I am hard on my tools, I do a lot of prying that I shouldn't so I have broken two of these so far.
I opted for the single side cut version as a replacement just to be safe.

Thanks for the information and advice, much appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions