🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Howdy All,

It's been a while since I've posted finds, but that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

But... my good friend Coinmaster2db called and said he had a newer spot in a cut soybean field near his house. I drove up there knowing that the site only dated from the early 1900s and was filled with aluminum and trash. He dug a nice Mercury dime and a war nickel there the day before, but I figured that newer diggins were better than no diggins...

We got out on the site, and after 10 or so mason jar lids, I started to wonder if there were any other sites on the 200 acres or so that he had permission to hunt. So I decided to wander off and strategically search for more iron patches. :)

First I went uphill, then down several "fingers" of land that sloped gradually downward to the drainage channels on the farm. On the way down one of these, he and I both got some faint and sparse iron blips. We didn't know exactly where the center of the spot was, and the iron was quite faint, but we focused on the area for a bit. Then just as I saw Coinmaster2db stoop to dig, I got a faint but repeatable signal and popped out a tiny ball button. When I stood up, he had a tombac button in his hand. :hello2: We'd found an old site.

We dug close to 25 buttons out of the site during the afternoon, plus a good many musketballs, a thimble, and an item I've always wanted to find--a 1700s Era Jew's Harp. :headbang: I have only seen one of these dug--and it was at a mid-1700s site of mine in Virginia (dug by a friend who was visiting for some detecting one summer).

Our sites here usually only have harmonica reeds. They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800). We might find a single pewter button or a single tombac, but never multiple tombac buttons here. Out of 150 sites in the last few years, we have found less than half a dozen tombac buttons. And we got three tombacs in an afternoon at this site. :icon_sunny: So unlike the norm, this one is an early one.

I think there's still a chance for some Spanish Silver or an early copper there. Time will tell, and we will be back.

My camera wasn't even charged and ready for some great photos, but here is my portion of the finds. I don't think this is a bad haul for a few hours:

Finds 016-1.jpg

Finds 013-1.jpg

When I got home, I made some Chicken Parmesan. ;D

Finds 004-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Patch,

My uncle found 3 coppers that day. :wink: KKC dug 13 that day, but stopped early...so how many would we have dug? :dontknow: :laughing9:

Kirk

Don't know, real diggers don't stop. ;D

...finding a truckload of coppers. I know. :wink: :laughing9:

Kirk

But that doesn't happen when Kirky boy yells quittin time! The 3 coppa quota. :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Patch,

My uncle found 3 coppers that day. :wink: KKC dug 13 that day, but stopped early...so how many would we have dug? :dontknow: :laughing9:

Kirk

Kirk

Man,
You two are hilarious!
Heck I'd be happy finding any Colonial copper, buckle, Jew's harp, Jews guitar, or even a Jews drum set. :laughing9:
-MM-

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Patch,

Kirk

Kirk

Man,
You two are hilarious!
Heck I'd be happy finding any Colonial copper, buckle, Jew's harp, Jews guitar, or even a Jews drum set. :laughing9:
-MM-

Dude, the jews don't leave that much behind.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Patch,

Kirk

Kirk

Man,
You two are hilarious!
-MM-

Dude, the jews don't leave that much behind.

IP,
You got that right. I worked for one for 15 years and I think I made more $ digging clad. ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
WTG BB!! We were ready to put a BOLO out for you. Glad you were able to mark another item from your wish list. Cool finds. We went from dry to excess rain in Middle Tenn. Like Bama Nana is the tax token queen, you are the "Marble King". Wishing you more Banner finds this fall, Quindy.

Quindy,

Good to hear from you. This is the tip of the iceberg for the fall season. As soon as they get the crops out of my way, Full Steam Ahead!

:)

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

Great finds Buckles :icon_thumleft:

While we are on the topic of harps I have a quick question. I found what I think is one a couple of weeks ago. The only thing holding me back is the size of it (or lack thereof). It is only one and a half inches in length. Have you guys seen one that small? I was going to post it earlier, but I broke it trying to pick a little rust wart off of it. :'( I was so mad at myself that I just filed it away. But now that you brought it up.....Do they come that small???

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:

While we are on the topic of harps I have a quick question. I found what I think is one a couple of weeks ago. The only thing holding me back is the size of it (or lack thereof). It is only one and a half inches in length. Have you guys seen one that small? I was going to post it earlier, but I broke it trying to pick a little rust wart off of it. :'( I was so mad at myself that I just filed it away. But now that you brought it up.....Do they come that small???

I have seen them quite small but would have to see a pic to confirm yours.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds there Buck! I've dug several harps but am still looking for a complete one...at least with an unbroken frame.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:

The one posted above is under just under 2 inches in length.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

The Jews harp is on my "want list". I hope it's sooner than later. Good job!
Newt

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here are two sizes i have found 1 is 1 3/4 and the other is 2"

Attachments

• 000_0001_00.jpg
    000_0001_00.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,645

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Good finds there Buck! I've dug several harps but am still looking for a complete one...at least with an unbroken frame.

That's unlucky because many more are found complete than broken.

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

Buckles, I apologize for my poor-mannered hijacking. Here it is Iron Patch

Attachments

• harp 002.JPG
    harp 002.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,613
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem, scratcher! That is indeed a jew's harp. Is it made of iron?

Nice going! I love to see a new site with flat buttons coming out. Congrats on the Jew's harp. It does shock me though. I still imagine your neck of the woods being older than mine and my 1266X has sung many times on one of those puppies out here. Maybe you should head up higher in elevation and seek out where those Mountain Men or Hillbillies lived. I bet they played those mouth bleedin' instruments all the time. Heck, I think the Indians played on those thing as well. I bought a 100 year old one (Iron or steel) that has the metal strip in the middle and enjoy playing it. After finding them for years, I figured I should play one. I learned it fast because of already being a harmonica player. I recommend anyone to try playing a Jew's harp. It's fun. :D
Great finds there BB
Dave.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
No problem, scratcher! That is indeed a jew's harp. Is it made of iron?

Yea, unfortunately :)

Awesome! My buddy was pretty convinced that he found half of an iron one on the site we were hunting. I haven't seen it cleaned up yet, but it looks right.

Regards,

Buck

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007

BuckleBoy said:
thrillathahunt said:
Stouffer's? ;D

Homemade. :thumbsup:

You should post the recipie. I've been perfecting my marinara sauce lately...LOL...actually just figured out how to make it...it's so simple...but now I'm dangerous...I'm going to start experimenting with it and then on to other Italian dishes...your Chicken Parmesian looks great...

Oh yeah, congrats on the jews harp...

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

thanks buckleboy, you just ID'ed one of my finds a jaw harp just like yours. I thought maybe it was a clothes pin or something. keep up the good work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread