🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Howdy All,

It's been a while since I've posted finds, but that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

But... my good friend Coinmaster2db called and said he had a newer spot in a cut soybean field near his house. I drove up there knowing that the site only dated from the early 1900s and was filled with aluminum and trash. He dug a nice Mercury dime and a war nickel there the day before, but I figured that newer diggins were better than no diggins...

We got out on the site, and after 10 or so mason jar lids, I started to wonder if there were any other sites on the 200 acres or so that he had permission to hunt. So I decided to wander off and strategically search for more iron patches. :)

First I went uphill, then down several "fingers" of land that sloped gradually downward to the drainage channels on the farm. On the way down one of these, he and I both got some faint and sparse iron blips. We didn't know exactly where the center of the spot was, and the iron was quite faint, but we focused on the area for a bit. Then just as I saw Coinmaster2db stoop to dig, I got a faint but repeatable signal and popped out a tiny ball button. When I stood up, he had a tombac button in his hand. :hello2: We'd found an old site.

We dug close to 25 buttons out of the site during the afternoon, plus a good many musketballs, a thimble, and an item I've always wanted to find--a 1700s Era Jew's Harp. :headbang: I have only seen one of these dug--and it was at a mid-1700s site of mine in Virginia (dug by a friend who was visiting for some detecting one summer).

Our sites here usually only have harmonica reeds. They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800). We might find a single pewter button or a single tombac, but never multiple tombac buttons here. Out of 150 sites in the last few years, we have found less than half a dozen tombac buttons. And we got three tombacs in an afternoon at this site. :icon_sunny: So unlike the norm, this one is an early one.

I think there's still a chance for some Spanish Silver or an early copper there. Time will tell, and we will be back.

My camera wasn't even charged and ready for some great photos, but here is my portion of the finds. I don't think this is a bad haul for a few hours:

Finds 016-1.jpg

Finds 013-1.jpg

When I got home, I made some Chicken Parmesan. ;D

Finds 004-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

EdleBrock said:
BuckleBoy said:
thrillathahunt said:
Stouffer's? ;D

Homemade. :thumbsup:

You should post the recipie. I've been perfecting my marinara sauce lately...LOL...actually just figured out how to make it...it's so simple...but now I'm dangerous...I'm going to start experimenting with it and then on to other Italian dishes...your Chicken Parmesian looks great...

Oh yeah, congrats on the jews harp...

The sauce I use for this is a variation of my basic tomato sauce. Sometimes I add cooked italian sausage, and sometimes I make an extra rich sauce by stirring in a package of sardines (yes, for real!)--they cook down and disappear, but make a red sauce quite rich. When I cook the sausage, I pour off the grease then deglaze the pan with red wine and add that to the saucepan along with the cooked sausage.

So this is the small size recipe (I don't write it down, I just add ingredients until it looks right). I blend one average to large size tomato with fresh basil and two garlic cloves in a blender till smooth. Then I coarsely chop a few more tomatoes, a whole onion, and another clove of garlic along with some black pepper. I put this and the blender contents together in a sauce pan and simmer for an hour or two, stirring occasionally.

I slice the chicken breasts so that they are half as thick as they come from the meat section, then I sometimes even pound them thinner with a mallet or rolling pin. Then I dip them in egg white, then in bread crumbs mixed with grated parmesean cheese and fry them until golden brown. (Same breading makes a great Wiener Schnitzel too...) Pork chops I bread in a different way--by taking a stuffing mix and crumbling it with a rolling pin to turn it into crumbs. :)

Then I place the cooked chicken into a baking pan, preheat the oven to 350, spoon a few dabs of the sauce onto them after the sauce has cooked. I top each piece with a fresh ball of mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with more grated parmesan, and bake until heated through and the cheese is melted.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
EdleBrock said:
BuckleBoy said:
thrillathahunt said:
Stouffer's? ;D

You should post the recipie. I've been perfecting my marinara sauce lately...LOL...actually just figured out how to make it...it's so simple...but now I'm dangerous...I'm going to start experimenting with it and then on to other Italian dishes...your Chicken Parmesian looks great...

The sauce I use for this is a variation of my basic tomato sauce. Sometimes I add cooked italian sausage, and sometimes I make an extra rich sauce by stirring in a package of sardines (yes, for real!)--they cook down and disappear, but make a red sauce quite rich. When I cook the sausage, I pour off the grease then deglaze the pan with red wine and add that to the saucepan along with the cooked sausage.

So this is the small size recipe (I don't write it down, I just add ingredients until it looks right). I blend one average to large size tomato with fresh basil and two garlic cloves in a blender till smooth. Then I coarsely chop a few more tomatoes, a whole onion, and another clove of garlic along with some black pepper. I put this and the blender contents together in a sauce pan and simmer for an hour or two, stirring occasionally.

I slice the chicken breasts so that they are half as thick as they come from the meat section, then I sometimes even pound them thinner with a mallet or rolling pin. Then I dip them in egg white, then in bread crumbs mixed with grated parmesean cheese and fry them until golden brown. (Same breading makes a great Wiener Schnitzel too...) Pork chops I bread in a different way--by taking a stuffing mix and crumbling it with a rolling pin to turn it into crumbs. :)

Then I place the cooked chicken into a baking pan, preheat the oven to 350, spoon a few dabs of the sauce onto them after the sauce has cooked. I top each piece with a fresh ball of mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with more grated parmesan, and bake until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Man Buck,I'm about ready for a midnight snack now! :laughing9: ;D :laughing7: :headbang:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800).

Maybe people got tired of breaking their teeth on them?

I honestly had no idea what those things were. I had dug one from a site I'd worked with my favorite beep-dig machine. Glad I saw this thread. I had no idea at the time what a find it was.

That is a first-class haul of buttons and relics you have there. Congrats on the harp. :thumbsup: If I can find where I put mine, I'll try to post a pic.

HH
Rusted

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

8) He hunts AND he cooks? 8) What a guy!

You know I'm gonna say that I love all those buttons! ;D :wink: Super hunting!!

N~

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Iron Patch said:
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That a boy Buck. I'm glad to see this post. I was right there with you as you got the iron patch signals and began to dig the good readings. Good story :thumbsup: The jews harp is killer. I love such a personal relic. Can't you just picture the strange looking fellow twanging away on his trusty instrument and annoying his fellow travelers. Or maybe he was good enough with it that someone grabbed a jug and began to blow a beat right along with him :headbang: As for it being only the second one you've seen posted... you forget the one I found earlier this year. Here's the pic and congratulations. I would rather find the jews harp than find 3 coppers. Chris
PIC00007-9.jpg

I have to laugh!... you three always measure everything in coppers! :D

1 harp = 3 coppers +. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
Coppers are the currency of trade here. Seeing how we are awash in them. It's definitely Ckk's bling. :laughing9:
C

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Muddyhandz said:
Nice going! I love to see a new site with flat buttons coming out. Congrats on the Jew's harp. It does shock me though. I still imagine your neck of the woods being older than mine and my 1266X has sung many times on one of those puppies out here. Maybe you should head up higher in elevation and seek out where those Mountain Men or Hillbillies lived. I bet they played those mouth bleedin' instruments all the time. Heck, I think the Indians played on those thing as well. I bought a 100 year old one (Iron or steel) that has the metal strip in the middle and enjoy playing it. After finding them for years, I figured I should play one. I learned it fast because of already being a harmonica player. I recommend anyone to try playing a Jew's harp. It's fun. :D
Great finds there BB
Dave.
Yeah I remember when I was young my brother Kevin had a large one and wasn't bad at playing it.
Chris

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
EdleBrock said:
BuckleBoy said:
thrillathahunt said:
Stouffer's? ;D

I've had three heart attacks in the last five minutes just reading this thread. ;D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

Agreed Buckles. Same here in NC. Hey, what is this? The week of the Jews Harp digs? lol Great finds Buck especially for the conditions we've got this year.. I'm excited to see your digs this year....As far as the Parm goes....Looks almost as good as Grannies from Italy! CIAO...Michael P. HHHH

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
As far as the Parm goes....Looks almost as good as Grannies from Italy! CIAO...Michael P. HHHH

Momma Pappagiorgio's recipe. :wink:

(Nah...actually it's my own recipe. :) )

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Nice digs Buckles. Trompsing(if that is a word) through the fields is tough now. Yep all the beans and corn still in the fields and very upset farmers don't make for getting permission very easy. But we are headed out in the cold and snow anyway...Hardcore and some luck maybe....Congrats on the digs. jgas

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, if you dont mind. How do you make that chicken parmasean? It looks really good!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on the harp BB....You alway's come across some killer site's.Love the old button's :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too have a Jews Harp on my list,Ironman digs them all the time,I just cant seem to get my coil over one yet!I did get to cross one of my goals off the list last weekend on a hunt with the infamous Ironman but havent had time to make a post yet!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Jews harp and I hope you find an intact one or something even better like some Spanish silver! Thanks for confirming those types of harps are from the 1700s, I have been fortunate to find about 5 here. HH and good luck, Mike

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007

BuckleBoy said:
The sauce I use for this is a variation of my basic tomato sauce...

Thanks for the instructions...I'm going to try it.

HH

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Congrat's on the harp BB....You alway's come across some killer site's.Love the old button's :thumbsup:

Civil,

I have a Ton of respect for the great finds you've been making this season. Makes me wish I hadn't taken a break from digging over the late summer and early fall.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
I too have a Jews Harp on my list,Ironman digs them all the time,I just cant seem to get my coil over one yet!I did get to cross one of my goals off the list last weekend on a hunt with the infamous Ironman but havent had time to make a post yet!!!

Goodness, I can't wait to see this...

Congrats in advance!

Best Wishes,

Buck

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004

Hey man I think the cheese on that chicken has a funny looking patina. Its my opinion that the cheese and or the chicken have been buried on purpose for some time and possibly soaked in an acid bath to make it look authentic.
Just my two cents HeHe RK

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RKinOI said:
Hey man I think the cheese on that chicken has a funny looking patina. Its my opinion that the cheese and or the chicken have been buried on purpose for some time and possibly soaked in an acid bath to make it look authentic.
Just my two cents HeHe RK

I'd still eat it! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread