🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Howdy All,

It's been a while since I've posted finds, but that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

But... my good friend Coinmaster2db called and said he had a newer spot in a cut soybean field near his house. I drove up there knowing that the site only dated from the early 1900s and was filled with aluminum and trash. He dug a nice Mercury dime and a war nickel there the day before, but I figured that newer diggins were better than no diggins...

We got out on the site, and after 10 or so mason jar lids, I started to wonder if there were any other sites on the 200 acres or so that he had permission to hunt. So I decided to wander off and strategically search for more iron patches. :)

First I went uphill, then down several "fingers" of land that sloped gradually downward to the drainage channels on the farm. On the way down one of these, he and I both got some faint and sparse iron blips. We didn't know exactly where the center of the spot was, and the iron was quite faint, but we focused on the area for a bit. Then just as I saw Coinmaster2db stoop to dig, I got a faint but repeatable signal and popped out a tiny ball button. When I stood up, he had a tombac button in his hand. :hello2: We'd found an old site.

We dug close to 25 buttons out of the site during the afternoon, plus a good many musketballs, a thimble, and an item I've always wanted to find--a 1700s Era Jew's Harp. :headbang: I have only seen one of these dug--and it was at a mid-1700s site of mine in Virginia (dug by a friend who was visiting for some detecting one summer).

Our sites here usually only have harmonica reeds. They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800). We might find a single pewter button or a single tombac, but never multiple tombac buttons here. Out of 150 sites in the last few years, we have found less than half a dozen tombac buttons. And we got three tombacs in an afternoon at this site. :icon_sunny: So unlike the norm, this one is an early one.

I think there's still a chance for some Spanish Silver or an early copper there. Time will tell, and we will be back.

My camera wasn't even charged and ready for some great photos, but here is my portion of the finds. I don't think this is a bad haul for a few hours:

Finds 016-1.jpg

Finds 013-1.jpg

When I got home, I made some Chicken Parmesan. ;D

Finds 004-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

WTG BB!! We were ready to put a BOLO out for you. Glad you were able to mark another item from your wish list. Cool finds. We went from dry to excess rain in Middle Tenn. Like Bama Nana is the tax token queen, you are the "Marble King". Wishing you more Banner finds this fall, Quindy.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What's the age on that find. I hope its fresh. Sure looks good.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds BB,

Man I'm sure I got one of those jew's harps stashed away somewhere. Gonna have to look. I swear I have found one of those if not more. Gonna look through relics again this winter.

HH Jer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That a boy Buck. I'm glad to see this post. I was right there with you as you got the iron patch signals and began to dig the good readings. Good story :thumbsup: The jews harp is killer. I love such a personal relic. Can't you just picture the strange looking fellow twanging away on his trusty instrument and annoying his fellow travelers. Or maybe he was good enough with it that someone grabbed a jug and began to blow a beat right along with him :headbang: As for it being only the second one you've seen posted... you forget the one I found earlier this year. Here's the pic and congratulations. I would rather find the jews harp than find 3 coppers. Chris
PIC00007-9.jpg

I have to laugh!... you three always measure everything in coppers! :D

1 harp = 3 coppers +. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
That a boy Buck. I'm glad to see this post. I was right there with you as you got the iron patch signals and began to dig the good readings. Good story :thumbsup: The jews harp is killer. I love such a personal relic. Can't you just picture the strange looking fellow twanging away on his trusty instrument and annoying his fellow travelers. Or maybe he was good enough with it that someone grabbed a jug and began to blow a beat right along with him :headbang: As for it being only the second one you've seen posted... you forget the one I found earlier this year. Here's the pic and congratulations. I would rather find the jews harp than find 3 coppers. Chris

I have to laugh!... you three always measure everything in coppers! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

I think a Grant Campaign Pin is worth at least Two Coppers. :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
PIC00007-9.jpg

I have to laugh!... you three always measure everything in coppers! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

But only half a buckle!!!! :laughing9:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
PIC00007-9.jpg

Maybe only one third of a buckle. :wink: ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
PIC00007-9.jpg

Maybe only one third of a buckle. :wink: ;D

Can I have a show of hands on that? .... 1/3 it is! :thumbsup: :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think a trigger guard is worth 4 worn out coppers! :tongue3:

Will, that is super that you guys found a truly older site, to find that many buttons and no coppers, LOL, that is sinful. Hopefully a Half Real or colonial copper awaits you at that site, I would think something more to come for sure. Ah, a nice Liberty Cap cent would look good in one of your posts!

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
I think a trigger guard is worth 4 worn out coppers! :tongue3:

Will, that is super that you guys found a truly older site, to find that many buttons and no coppers, LOL, that is sinful. Hopefully a Half Real or colonial copper awaits you at that site, I would think something more to come for sure. Ah, a nice Liberty Cap cent would look good in one of your posts!

Don

For sure! A KY copper must be worth at least 25 PA coppers. ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BB,
Good to see a post from you again. Way to go on locating the hot spot and the super relics. I still haven't found a ball type button yet. :)
Great job,
Doug

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You could market that chicken.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Awesome hunt, congratulations!! I'm going to be swinging a detector down in central KY this weekend myself. Good luck digging the old coppers and silver. :icon_thumright:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds, BB. I think the Jew's Harp is the best one though. It may not be worth a lot, but it somehow personalizes the finds.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Superb relics and great looking food! :) :icon_thumright:

Based on this post and a few others of yours I've seen, you sure seem to have a way of sniffing out a good site when no sign exists! :notworthy:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Nice Jews harp, Buck. I remember when Chris blurted out his Jews harp recovery in the field.

There should be a cut silver or two in that field. :icon_thumright: Keep at it, Buck.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Patch,

My uncle found 3 coppers that day. :wink: KKC dug 13 that day, but stopped early...so how many would we have dug? :dontknow: :laughing9:

Buck, you would take that Colonial shoe buckle chape and love it. :wink:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Patch,

My uncle found 3 coppers that day. :wink: KKC dug 13 that day, but stopped early...so how many would we have dug? :dontknow: :laughing9:

Kirk

Don't know, real diggers don't stop. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Patch,

Buck, you would take that Colonial shoe buckle chape and love it. :wink:

Kirk

...and make love to it? No wonder you have a thing for Buckles! :wink: :laughing7: .... No!... not you BB! :D .... well maybe, never know, he is from PA. :laughing9:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Patch,

Kirk

Don't know, real diggers don't stop. ;D

...finding a truckload of coppers. I know. :wink: :laughing9:

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread