🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Howdy All,

It's been a while since I've posted finds, but that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

But... my good friend Coinmaster2db called and said he had a newer spot in a cut soybean field near his house. I drove up there knowing that the site only dated from the early 1900s and was filled with aluminum and trash. He dug a nice Mercury dime and a war nickel there the day before, but I figured that newer diggins were better than no diggins...

We got out on the site, and after 10 or so mason jar lids, I started to wonder if there were any other sites on the 200 acres or so that he had permission to hunt. So I decided to wander off and strategically search for more iron patches. :)

First I went uphill, then down several "fingers" of land that sloped gradually downward to the drainage channels on the farm. On the way down one of these, he and I both got some faint and sparse iron blips. We didn't know exactly where the center of the spot was, and the iron was quite faint, but we focused on the area for a bit. Then just as I saw Coinmaster2db stoop to dig, I got a faint but repeatable signal and popped out a tiny ball button. When I stood up, he had a tombac button in his hand. :hello2: We'd found an old site.

We dug close to 25 buttons out of the site during the afternoon, plus a good many musketballs, a thimble, and an item I've always wanted to find--a 1700s Era Jew's Harp. :headbang: I have only seen one of these dug--and it was at a mid-1700s site of mine in Virginia (dug by a friend who was visiting for some detecting one summer).

Our sites here usually only have harmonica reeds. They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800). We might find a single pewter button or a single tombac, but never multiple tombac buttons here. Out of 150 sites in the last few years, we have found less than half a dozen tombac buttons. And we got three tombacs in an afternoon at this site. :icon_sunny: So unlike the norm, this one is an early one.

I think there's still a chance for some Spanish Silver or an early copper there. Time will tell, and we will be back.

My camera wasn't even charged and ready for some great photos, but here is my portion of the finds. I don't think this is a bad haul for a few hours:

Finds 016-1.jpg

Finds 013-1.jpg

When I got home, I made some Chicken Parmesan. ;D

Finds 004-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

I'm going to pound the bejeezus out of that site tomorrow. (later today actually) There's got to be a coin or two there.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG Buckles on finding that shiken (chicken) :laughing7: Looks like you had a great hunt. The crops here, too are still standing. However, back into the 60's next week.........where we should be for some good fall huntin. Keep hitting that spot. Bound to be more history waiting to be dug ::)

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet digs...and a tantalizing dish as well ;D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmaster2db said:
I'm going to pound the bejeezus out of that site tomorrow. (later today actually) There's got to be a coin or two there.

Go get 'er. I was proud to see you dig that nice pewter button yesterday. Did it clean up well?

Up to about 36 buttons now, but no coins. :icon_scratch:

Give a ring and lemme know what you find.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
I think a trigger guard is worth 4 worn out coppers! :tongue3:

Will, that is super that you guys found a truly older site, to find that many buttons and no coppers, LOL, that is sinful. Hopefully a Half Real or colonial copper awaits you at that site, I would think something more to come for sure. Ah, a nice Liberty Cap cent would look good in one of your posts!

Don

Don,

Thank you for the faith in us and this site we're working. I am losing hope for there being a coin there. Another couple hours in the mud, wind, and 45 degree weather yesterday got us another 15 buttons or so, plus a few musketballs and a piece of a small, homemade cupboard hinge.

Coinmaster2db got a ball button and found the first two pewter buttons from the site. (I was wondering where the pewters were...) :)

There had to have been a good many years of occupation there before 1830 in order for that many buttons to have been lost or discarded. I am Very surprised that there is no coin to be found.

-Buckles

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

BuckleBoy said:
Don in SJ said:
I think a trigger guard is worth 4 worn out coppers! :tongue3:

Will, that is super that you guys found a truly older site, to find that many buttons and no coppers, LOL, that is sinful. Hopefully a Half Real or colonial copper awaits you at that site, I would think something more to come for sure. Ah, a nice Liberty Cap cent would look good in one of your posts!

Don

Don,

Thank you for the faith in us and this site we're working. I am losing hope for there being a coin there. Another couple hours in the mud, wind, and 45 degree weather yesterday got us another 15 buttons or so, plus a few musketballs and a piece of a small, homemade cupboard hinge.

Coinmaster2db got a ball button and found the first two pewter buttons from the site. (I was wondering where the pewters were...) :)

There had to have been a good many years of occupation there before 1830 in order for that many buttons to have been lost or discarded. I am Very surprised that there is no coin to be found.

-Buckles

Buck, don't give up hope yet. There will be a coin found there...and an early one to boot. I bet it will be a Spanish silver.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds - looks like fun!

HH

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

No finds at all today. I bundled up, walked all the way back to the spot and as I was putting on my gloves I noticed a truck slowing down and turning into the field. I started walking toward the truck.... It was the property owner. He told me I couldn't hunt there today, because his grandson was in a deer stand in the corner of the woods on the property and I'd spook the deer. :( I got the green light for tomorrow though. :icon_thumleft: He also told me about a spot on another piece of property he owns where there's some foundation stones, and flowers that still pop up there in the springtime. :sign13: The score for today: Deer Hunter 1 , Relic Hunter 0. Maybe White's could design a detector that had a deer call option in the settings. Definitely have to wear the blaze orange gear then. ;D

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

coinmaster2db said:
No finds at all today. I bundled up, walked all the way back to the spot and as I was putting on my gloves I noticed a truck slowing down and turning into the field. I started walking toward the truck.... It was the property owner. He told me I couldn't hunt there today, because his grandson was in a deer stand in the corner of the woods on the property and I'd spook the deer. :( I got the green light for tomorrow though. :icon_thumleft: He also told me about a spot on another piece of property he owns where there's some foundation stones, and flowers that still pop up there in the springtime. :sign13: The score for today: Deer Hunter 1 , Relic Hunter 0. Maybe White's could design a detector that had a deer call option in the settings. Definitely have to wear the blaze orange gear then. ;D

Sure am sorry the hunt got cut short, but you got to respect those deer hunters on private land. :-\

Good luck tomorrow. Sounds like you got some good leads. :thumbsup:
Just think, what if there was a whole colony on that site. :icon_sunny:

Randy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread