Two !!! Pewter USA buttons !!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Today I took some time for myself and headed to a far corner of the hay field accross the road. This spot in the field was my first serious hunt this spring with the ACE 250. I brought home a 1798 LC, a handfull of tombac and dandy buttons. This is the first time back to this spot since that weekend.
Now I swing a Minelab 705 and was thinking that I could pick up something old. I turned off the iron, cranked up the sens. and picked my way arround.
Not really sure what to say other than the best button came first at about 10". I knew right away that I had a KEEPER ;D In my watch pocket it went....... About twenty feet away got another broken deep signal....... USA # 2 !!!!!

I spent another hour and got a small cuff size tonbac then called it a day.

I will be going back.......

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_8504_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8504_1_1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,657
  • IMG_8507_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8507_1_1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,652
  • IMG_8513_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8513_1_1.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,677
  • IMG_8515_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8515_1_1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,638
  • IMG_8518_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8518_1_1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,601
  • IMG_8521_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8521_1_1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,591
Upvote 2
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used

Attachments

• IMG_7909_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7909_1_1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,527

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I feel like a little kid ;D Got home from work and had to run right in to see if the buttons were where I left them! <GRIN>

VPR

Only cuz I don't know where you live. ;D

No worry........... I have a MEAN ATTACK DOG!!!! :tongue3:

I'd bet he/she would be willing to trade a USA button for a juicy steak!

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Awesome buttons! They are definitely on my wish list. 10" on a small pewter button is some very nice depth. Not sure my Exp II could give a nice repeatable signal at that depth on small pewter unless conditions were just about perfect. Congrats!!!!!

S

stefen

Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Thank You for all the replies !!
I am still a little shocked at this... I have been outside doing yard work so I dont sit here and stare at the button's.
What do I do now? I am not going to do anything more to clean them. These are going to be left "as found" .
Is there a place where I can get some more info about this button. Do any of you fine folks have anything to add about the story behind this find. Should I do anything to conserve these buttons?

Thanks again, VPR

Yes, you absolutely have to seal those. There are a few options with clear urethane and a wipe being my method of choice. Wax I don't like on pewter because you can't heat, and I have never tried the glue mixture method. Do a little research and testing and see what you prefer.

Here's one I just recently posted that is sealed. The idea is to protect it, but not leave it too glossy... as a dug pewter really shouldn't be.

PS... A little soap and water with some light brushing wouldn't hurt either if you haven't done that. Better to get as much dirt off as you can before you seal them.

Museum wax is a possibility

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Nice Jobe VPR!! :icon_thumleft:

I dug one a few months ago, but failed to make the banner...SO GLAD to see yours did!!! ;D

Well earned...HUGE CONGRATS!! :D

HH, Hank 8)

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats to you! awesome buttons and glad ya made the banner!
i tried unsucessfully with mine.glad somebody recognizes a important historical find when they see one.i guess it's who ya know on this site. ???
this will be my last post on this site.i wish the cool people i've met on this site all the best.take care and thanks for your input and comments on my finds. :thumbsup:
here's my button below
dave

Attachments

• usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,087
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
congrats to you! awesome buttons and glad ya made the banner!
i tried unsucessfully with mine.glad somebody recognizes a important historical find when they see one.i guess it's who ya know on this site. ???
this will be my last post on this site.i wish the cool people i've met on this site all the best.take care and thanks for your input and comments on my finds. :thumbsup:
here's my button below
dave

I really hate to see you go. I think that my button was a condition thing. Dont let the fact that your button did not make the banner make you feel this way. Last fall I found a G.W. Inaugural button and did not make the banner with it.

Stay with us and show more of you GREAT finds, VPR

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
I have looked HARD for more of these and all I seem to find are Colonial and Draped Bust coppers :dontknow:

Are there more to be found here? I hope so ;D

Thank's for all of the great feedback. I am having the best time diggin holes.

VPR

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I have looked HARD for more of these and all I seem to find are Colonial and Draped Bust coppers"

Packrat, with your permission let me clean that first sentence up a little as it should actually read..

"I have looked HARD for more of these and I'm finding Colonial and Draped Bust Coppers!!! :headbang: Yes! COLONIAL and Draped BUST! :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some awesome buttons man

Congrats

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread