Two !!! Pewter USA buttons !!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Today I took some time for myself and headed to a far corner of the hay field accross the road. This spot in the field was my first serious hunt this spring with the ACE 250. I brought home a 1798 LC, a handfull of tombac and dandy buttons. This is the first time back to this spot since that weekend.
Now I swing a Minelab 705 and was thinking that I could pick up something old. I turned off the iron, cranked up the sens. and picked my way arround.
Not really sure what to say other than the best button came first at about 10". I knew right away that I had a KEEPER ;D In my watch pocket it went....... About twenty feet away got another broken deep signal....... USA # 2 !!!!!

I spent another hour and got a small cuff size tonbac then called it a day.

I will be going back.......

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_8504_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8504_1_1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,657
  • IMG_8507_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8507_1_1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,652
  • IMG_8513_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8513_1_1.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,677
  • IMG_8515_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8515_1_1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,638
  • IMG_8518_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8518_1_1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,601
  • IMG_8521_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8521_1_1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,591
Upvote 2

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner!!! :headbang: Those USAs make the Canadian Loyalist buttons look weak. :wink: We won! We won! :hello2:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Are there different sizes/varieties of this button?

What I have been able to find online tells me that I have a really nice button.

Would a light spray from an aerosol can of satin poly work?

VPR

I use water-based clear urethane. I first brush it on the back and wipe to leave a very thin coat, then do the same to the sides. I let that dry, then coat the front also giving a quick wipe with a lint free cloth. I let it dry and that's it, that's all, sealed for good. The urethane works nicely into the cracks and because it was wiped it's very thin, and only a little glossy.

What ever you decide test it out first on a plain button.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Banner!!! :headbang: Those USAs make the Canadian Loyalist buttons look weak. :wink: We won! We won! :hello2:

Kirk

Yes, in a way they could be more sought after to an American hunter. Please post all you have found of either. :wink: ;D

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man they are some awesome buttons, their near the top of my wish list. I cant belive you found two in that good of shape on one hunt, Congrats. :thumbsup: Banner!!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You forgot to mention the best find of all from the site: The George Washington Inaugural button. That site has treated you very kindly over the past year. Keep hitting it until there are no more beeps. :thumbsup:

I agree, IP, this should definitely be up on top of the banner!

Kyle

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
KylePA said:
You forgot to mention the best find of all from the site: The George Washington Inaugural button. That site has treated you very kindly over the past year. Keep hitting it until there are no more beeps. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Thank You for remembering :headbang:

I will have to do a post at the end of the season with the updated totals from this field.

VPR

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
KylePA said:

Kyle

Thank You for remembering :headbang:

I will have to do a post at the end of the season with the updated totals from this field.

VPR

Yes, you'll have a very good end of year post. I think I still need a little more meat for mine!

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
The mere fact that the shanks are still intact is amazing. I found one identical to yours (intertwined USA) back in the 80's in Virginia... half the shank was gone but otherwise in pretty good condition. Edges were a bit crumbly . I was afraid to clean it much less apply any kind of urethane to it. From what i understood yrs ago when i found it , there was a few different varieties as far as how the letters overlapped and if they overlapped.

All in all , 2 great finds...my advice...dont sell them ..I regret that I did...when i sold mine , they were only worth 50-100 dollars back in the mid nineties. These buttons represent what the USA is all about. To me they are priceless and if I ever find another , i will never trade it for money.
Banner find for sure.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gxray said:
The mere fact that the shanks are still intact is amazing. I found one identical to yours (intertwined USA) back in the 80's in Virginia... half the shank was gone but otherwise in pretty good condition. Edges were a bit crumbly . I was afraid to clean it much less apply any kind of urethane to it. From what i understood yrs ago when i found it , there was a few different varieties as far as how the letters overlapped and if they overlapped.

All in all , 2 great finds...my advice...dont sell them ..I regret that I did...when i sold mine , they were only worth 50-100 dollars back in the mid nineties. These buttons represent what the USA is all about. To me they are priceless and if I ever find another , i will never trade it for money.
Banner find for sure.

It's the other way around, scary to leave as dug because they will crumble.

One that has condition issues still might not get over $100, but the nice one above surely would.

cabinfever

Oct 14, 2009
NH
Detector(s) used
Deus
Great find! Banner vote from me, too. :hello: I just found one of those last week - a bit broken - but still an incredible find and to think you found two!!!! Awesome and fun to read about such a fantastic find.

I'd be back to that site rain, snow or sleet.

CabinFever

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Vote Sent.

FANTASTIC!!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I was out doing yard work too and I didn't find anything like that :laughing7: Stunning finds. Not one, but 2 :o Well deserved and looks good up in the Headlines :hello2: Ron

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Speechless !!!

Can't wait to see them on the Banner !!!!

Major congrats !!!

Brian in MA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions