Heracles or Apollo?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• PIC_3937.JPG
    PIC_3937.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,591
  • PIC_3942.JPG
    PIC_3942.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 3,572
  • PIC_3948.JPG
    PIC_3948.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 3,542
  • PIC_3955.JPG
    PIC_3955.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 3,552
  • PIC_3950.JPG
    PIC_3950.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,526
  • PIC_3999.JPG
    PIC_3999.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,532
  • PIC_3998.JPG
    PIC_3998.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,518
Upvote 2

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sick find! If you like ancient history like I do, You can appreciate a fantastic find like that one!!! Bronze statue.....Sweet!!! WTG

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
creeper71 said:
This find has blown my mind..wow! I never knew they put private parts on sculptures way back then...

He must be very cold...give Apollo a blanket!

All i gots ta say is WOW, wow, and WOW...amazing find... :notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beyond words! Huge congrats :o :o :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find!!!!!! i got the chance to hold a Egyptian scarab beetle bead with hieroglyphs on the bottom carved from ivory, and handled a old roman or Greek oil lamp that had a guy doing a gall from behind.. was way cool to touch stuff that old.. keep up the good digs MR TUFF

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Definitely one of the neatest finds I've seen here on Treasurenet, and everyone knows there are AMAZING finds here... just look at the current banner for instance. Three gold coins - two of them thousands of years old, ridiculously rare buttons, ancient indian artifacts, and now a Greek bronze sculpture that is thousands of years old? Someone else already said it - "best hobby in the world"

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing sculpture. New avatar?

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After some research and concluded that it can be a sculpture of three different gods (if I can allude to determine which of the three) :wink:

1- The first in this photograph Apollo of the frieze of the Temple of Zeus at Olympia was very like him.
2- Theseus Athena's brother (all mosaics and sculptures to appear in the cloak over her arm.)
3-The god Heracles ... but I'm not sure.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• CDT08290.jpg
    CDT08290.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,329
  • Apolo,%20front%F3n%20de%20Olimpia.jpg
    Apolo,%20front%F3n%20de%20Olimpia.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,336
  • 3404306822_9c9d7e6083.jpg
    3404306822_9c9d7e6083.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,317

MARCVS

Sep 27, 2008
Europe
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White`s Eagle Spectrum II,White`s DFX,Minelab X-Terra 705,Minelab GPX 4500,White`s MX Sport,Minelab E-Trac,Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great,great,great find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Congrats

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find Constantinus! It seems as though the downstretched arm held either a spear or a bow. The fact that there is a hole for a supporting pin in the back as well as the front of his fist pretty much eliminates a sword, as the back of the sword's hilt could have been easily cast into the hand.

Assuming he is holding either a bow or a spear, it seems unlikely he would be holding another weapon in his other hand such as a club, as it would have to be pointing forward and upwards, putting the whole sculpure out of balance. My guess is that he is holding a bow in the downward arm and a quiver in the other (with perhaps with a solidly formed group of arrows which have long since broken off.)

Some of your guesses seem to fit, but have you considered also Ares, Teukros, or Dionedes as the subject?

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
johnnyi said:
Fantastic find Constantinus! It seems as though the downstretched arm held either a spear or a bow. The fact that there is a hole for a supporting pin in the back as well as the front of his fist pretty much eliminates a sword, as the back of the sword's hilt could have been easily cast into the hand.

Assuming he is holding either a bow or a spear, it seems unlikely he would be holding another weapon in his other hand such as a club, as it would have to be pointing forward and upwards, putting the whole sculpure out of balance. My guess is that he is holding a bow in the downward arm and a quiver in the other (with perhaps with a solidly formed group of arrows which have long since broken off.)

Some of your guesses seem to fit, but have you considered also Ares, Teukros, or Dionedes as the subject?
--------------------------------
Johnnyi Hello! Ares is one of the safest candidates for several reasons, first is that the figure appeared in the Iberian pre-roman city (though Greek influence to have around the city of Emporion) who were very warlike people, over 50% of Hannibal's soldiers were trying to invade Rome Iberians in my area, for this reason can deal with the god Ares. (a god of war very fair that was adored by the mercenaries)
The second reason is that in the left hand is holding a sword.
But he had discarded for not showing many sculptures and always appears with the helmet, very few thus beces the esculrura only know that I show.
What I do not have very clear is the origin of sculpture is small but could be a more school of Praxiteles, the classic pose leaning more hip, "Praxitelean curve" makes me swing the source to Athens but the god Ares was not well known in Athens.

Attachments

• Estatua+de%E2%80%9CAres+%E2%80%93+Dios+de+Guerra%E2%80%9D.jpg
    Estatua+de%E2%80%9CAres+%E2%80%93+Dios+de+Guerra%E2%80%9D.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,168

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CONSTANTINVS said:
johnnyi said:

--------------------------------
Johnnyi Hello! Ares is one of the safest candidates for several reasons, first is that the figure appeared in the Iberian pre-roman city (though Greek influence to have around the city of Emporion) who were very warlike people, over 50% of Hannibal's soldiers were trying to invade Rome Iberians in my area, for this reason can deal with the god Ares. (a god of war very fair that was adored by the mercenaries)
The second reason is that in the left hand is holding a sword.
But he had discarded for not showing many sculptures and always appears with the helmet, very few thus beces the esculrura only know that I show.

Constantinus, as I mentioned earlier, the one problem which is hard to overlook concerning the possibility of a sword, is what could have been in the downstretched arm (that extended through the fist on both sides of it)? We can tell by the way the sculpture is made that on that downstetched arm there was a need for a reenforcing pin. (we know this to be a fact because the hole is much smaller than the diameter of the object he is clenching) What he is holding in that downstretched arm appears to have been round.

I don't think there was a sword for several reasons:

1)The first being that a sword needs a scabbard, and all scabbards we see on these sculpures are flat.
2)A scabbard would not fit the remains held in the downstretched arm either.
3)Beyond these reasons, if in the outside chance he was holding a sword hilt above the cloak where the sword had broken off, such a fragile element of the sculpure would have required a reenforcing pin also, and there is no evidence of one ever being there.

That's why I believe he was holding a bow in his downstretched arm and a quiver in the other. I think all the factors have to come into play here for a possibility to work.

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the moment it is possible an arc of arrows or other objects deemed thinner and a hair cut ..... It seems Apollo. ::)
Of course it's better that Roman coins found in the same currency puts the name of the emperor. :laughing7:

Attachments

• PIC_3999.JPG
    PIC_3999.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,029

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Constantinus, I think maybe the other way around; a short bow in (his) right hand, and a solid group of arrows in the quiver in his left?

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is to friggen cool. This is the best hobby in the world. Look at the history saved.
That is outstanding.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Man, your finds are truly epic, in the literal sense. One day you're going to dig up Odysseus, I swear. What do you do with these finds? Keep them, or donate them to the local archaeological society? Or would they just get angry with you and swoop your locations?

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EpsilonMinus said:
Man, your finds are truly epic, in the literal sense. One day you're going to dig up Odysseus, I swear. What do you do with these finds? Keep them, or donate them to the local archaeological society? Or would they just get angry with you and swoop your locations?

Hello friend .... this figure of Apollo is the best in my collection.
in my country we are passing a very bad time and the ministery of culture not pay even a Euro for it. and if I donate to the museum archaeologists but sure the black market sell or deposited in a warehouse in a box for 2,400 years more. (here we have no law of treasure).
The strange thing is that I returned to the scene but found nothing more interesting, only lead and preRomana pottery ... the best find in the entire site.
Also I am one of the best people to care for her, is the darling of my collection and belongs to the cultural period that most interests me about my country. :D

I show him the latest best pics. :thumbsup:
greetings!

Attachments

• Figuras de Bronce 024.JPG
    Figuras de Bronce 024.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 607
  • Figuras de Bronce 023.JPG
    Figuras de Bronce 023.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 606
  • Figuras de Bronce 023.JPG
    Figuras de Bronce 023.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 602