Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Rare 16th Century Spoon Mold Find!

Took the day off and went MDing.Had found a new site and wanted to hit it.So I Did.Came up with some first for me.And some I don't even know what they are.All needs a better cleaning just done a quick soap and water deal.Here they are till I get them cleaned better. :hello:
Enjoy,
Timekiller!

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 6,731
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6,750
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 6,676
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 6,640
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 6,664
  • 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 6,653
  • 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6,582
  • 000_0008.jpg
    000_0008.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 6,557
  • 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6,551
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 6,503
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6,435
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6,464
Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NEW SITE NEW FINDS SOME FIRST

Iron Patch said:
Very cool relic! First I have ever seen found.

..and of course I always like the George coppers and the knee buckle is great.

I bet the best is yet to come!
Morning to ya Sir Patch! ;D Yea my fisrt ever seen period. :thumbsup: Nice virgin site this time I know for sure.It has been in are family for quite awhile.And has just started being cleared for horse pen.At least a couple acers of some good hunting ground here.Had got word that they were finding some large stone scatterd all over this place and I thought hummmmm.So yesterday I went to give it a shot and yea it is the right type of stuff to make these types of finds from for sure.Very large area so will take sometime to get over it all.My dad had found some coins not far from this site 1715 2 skillings and a couple of british coins so I knew they had been some activey in the area.Both being on the edge of a creek and all.Anyway will see in the future what comes from here just a long drive for me to get there.
Timekiller! :hello:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome site! I can only imagine whats left.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

taropatch said:
nice finds indeed. What is that leaf looking thing? I love the spoon mold.
Hey taropatch,I'm not sure what you are asking about?What pic. is it in might would help me? :thumbsup: Thanks for looking! I guess i have my work cut out on finding the other piece to the spoon mold. But hey I like a good challenge! :laughing9:
Thanks Timekiller!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one nice relic... never seen one found before...the other finds are too shabby either... WTG :icon_thumleft:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

It is nice to see you on a new virgin site, Pete! :headbang: She will be a dandy for months to come!

Keep at it, you Colonial king! :notworthy: I see more KG coppers in your near future!

Kyle

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
It is nice to see you on a new virgin site, Pete! :headbang: She will be a dandy for months to come!

Keep at it, you Colonial king! :notworthy: I see more KG coppers in your near future!

Kyle
Thanks KylePa, just tring to keep up with the Jones's in the colonial detecting world buddy! :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D You three being part of the above statement! :laughing7: :thumbsup: :hello:
Timekiller!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

timekiller said:
KylePA said:

Kyle
Thanks KylePa, just tring to keep up with the Jones's in the colonial detecting world buddy! :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D You three being part of the above statement! :laughing7: :thumbsup: :hello:
Timekiller!

Thanks, Pete. :laughing9: We try hard to please the forum with our recoveries.

We will be hunting two new sites this weekend. One of them was hunted before and the other was not. We'll see how good the people were who hit the one. I have research on a vanished dwelling on the property. I wonder if they knew as well? :dontknow:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
timekiller said:
KylePA said:

Kyle
Timekiller!

Thanks, Pete. :laughing9: We try hard to please the forum with our recoveries.

We will be hunting two new sites this weekend. One of them was hunted before and the other was not. We'll see how good the people were who hit the one. I have research on a vanished dwelling on the property. I wonder if they knew as well? :dontknow:
I don't know about rather they knew or not but can say that it is hard to hunt a site completely clean even if they did.I guess it's possible but I hit stuff purdy hard and go back to only find that I myself have missed stuff soil conditions and many other factors involved in being able to say a place is cleaned up.You guy's will find stuff if there is something to find I'm sure. :notworthy: :thumbsup: :hello:
Timekiller!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice job on the relics especially the possible spoon mold ... that 1/2 penny cleaned up pretty nice too ... cool bunch of finds ... congratz and continued good hunting ~ Jimmy

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

According to my research, both of the sites are capable of producing many coppers, Pete. :headbang: Even if they don't, I will still be satisfied with what we do find.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

timekiller, wonderful finds all, but the spoon mold in particular is outanding !!!!! It is one of the nicest, and no doubt rarest relics I've seen posted here in awhile. Not only is such a find very rare, but it is of a style of spoon which in itself is rare, should you ever be lucky enough to find one. That is the kind of relic I would love to see up here in lights! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :headbang: :hello2:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
timekiller, wonderful finds all, but the spoon mold in particular is outanding !!!!! It is one of the nicest, and no doubt rarest relics I've seen posted here in awhile. Not only is such a find very rare, but it is of a style of spoon which in itself is rare, should you ever be lucky enough to find one. That is the kind of relic I would love to see up here in lights! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :headbang: :hello2:
Thanks jonnyi,for you kind comments! :thumbsup: I didn't have a clue as the rarity of a find like it.Tnet is a good deal for info. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: I know you are good with Id's was wondering if you would know what type of metal it is made of very heavy,seems very hard also,and shows no sign of rust or anything.Would bronze be that hard? :dontknow:
Thanks,
Timekiller! :hello:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
goldencoin said:
Never seen one of those! Maybe you can find the other half

HH
-GC
I know almost like a spoon mold is what it looks like!Very heavy made what ever it is!

It is half of a spoon mold & a very cool find :icon_thumright:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller, your mold probably dates from the 17th century, and is most likely a bronze mold. Once again, extremely wonderful find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Timekiller, your mold probably dates from the 17th century, and is most likely a bronze mold. Once again, extremely wonderful find!

I agree 17th C, Bronze & the metal poured into it would be Pewter. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Thanks much then jonnyi! :notworthy: :thumbsup: :hello2:
Wasn't sure never found a piece of bronze that big before! Timekiller!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
johnnyi said:

I agree 17th C, Bronze & the metal poured into it would be Pewter. :icon_thumright:
Thanks to you too there Cru,your help is appreciated with the time line and all! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :hello:
Timekiller!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
johnnyi said:

Thanks to you too there Cru,your help is appreciated with the time line and all! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :hello:
Timekiller!

I can tell you that the pewter spoon collectors, who are a keen bunch, because the spoons are rare in good condition would go nuts over this. Its a museum piece IMHO.

If only you could get the other half, look carefully

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
johnnyi said:

Timekiller!

I can tell you that the pewter spoon collectors, who are a keen bunch, because the spoons are rare in good condition would go nuts over this. Its a museum piece IMHO.

If only you could get the other half, look carefully
Thanks again Cru,I believe the other half can be found! I just done a broad search of the place yesterday to get a Idea!(your starting to make my head swell again :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread