Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, a lot of you know I've been whining like a little school girl for years now trying to find a large cent, which some of you dig up on a regular basis. Well today was my day and I can FINALLY say I'm a member of the Large Cent Club (LCC).
Yaba-daba-doooo!!!! :icon_thumleft:
Bubba and I detected at the 1850's house I recently gained permission to detect. Up to now, my best find here was two somewhat rare CW bullets a few weeks back. To keep from wasting my time digging crappe' today, I set my Silver Umax discrimination high so I could concentrate on digging coins. After digging up only modern clad at up to 8" deep in the yard, I decided to head to the upper horse pasture which was half way between the house and an 1800's church down the road a bit.
The grass was about 3" tall and it was like the sound of silence out there until I got a good signal. I dug my plug, and at about 5" deep I saw a beautiful round coin in the hole. Was this it???? Could it be???? Yes, it was!!!! The elusive large cent that has been avoiding me for almost three years now. :hello2: It turned out to be an 1850 LC. A common date, but I still love her. :love4: I ran to get my video camera from my truck, and prayed the horses wouldn't eat my equipment or my LC. ;D I got back to the spot to film and my camera batteries were dead! :'( %@&# it!!!
Oh well. :dontknow: Needless to say, I will be gridding off that huge pasture now. :wink:

I know an LC is nothing for some of you guys & gals to find, but to me this experience was as fun as digging my NC buckle. :thumbsup: It's a great feeling that I will always remember.
What's funny is I dug a "The Royal" suits merit token today too, and remembered digging one a few years ago. Here is that post from 2007:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,127272.0.html
If you notice, I was whining even in that post about wanting to find an LC. ;D

Kyle-
I know it's not Colonial, but I want to say "thanks" for your support over the years and helping me "keep the passion high" on my quest for this elusive coin.
Now I need you support on finding a 1700's coin or a large silver in 2010. :icon_thumleft: ;D

O.K., on with the rest of the finds.........

*1850 Large Cent :occasion14: - How can I clean this coin up a bit to see more detail???

*The Royal Suit merit token

*Gold diamond & saphire ring- The heart stopper! :o Turned out to be gold plated. :'( :'( :'(

*Beautiful old key - Any idea of the age? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

*Bird band - Any ideas on this one? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*Possible button :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*"Big Winston" work clothes button (Bubba's find)

Thanks for looking folks and once again, "YA-HOOOOOOOOO" :headbang:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-097S.JPG
    MVC-097S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 6
S

seger98

Wow Doug, those are some excellent finds. You are in a club now that I am still waiting at the door to get into :( Someday that door will open for me. Cuz it looks like they'll let anyone in. LOL :laughing7:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I can't say that you are not worth a cent anymore-Congrats!! It's always nice to add to your wish list. Clean that Sapphire ring up for Christmas and tell your wife that you bought it at Jared's-LOL. More HH to you and Bubba.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
Congrats, Doug!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Your first LC is in nice shape!

WTG! :wink:

Thanks KD.
I'm just happy it has a date. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

romeo-1 said:
Cool digs...welcome to the club!

Thank Romeo.
When will my monogramed robe be in? ;D
-MM-

seger98 said:
Wow Doug, those are some excellent finds. You are in a club now that I am still waiting at the door to get into :( Someday that door will open for me. Cuz it looks like they'll let anyone in. LOL :laughing7:

Hilarious!!! :icon_thumleft:
Try the clubs back door, the front door has bouncers. ;D
-Doug-

VOL1266-X said:
Well, I can't say that you are not worth a cent anymore-Congrats!! It's always nice to add to your wish list. Clean that Sapphire ring up for Christmas and tell your wife that you bought it at Jared's-LOL. More HH to you and Bubba.

Thanks VOL. :icon_thumleft:
You may have a good idea there for that ring. Hmmmm. It has to be better than the gold spray painted bird band I gave her last year. :tongue3: I was thinking about a gold spray painted piece of barbed wire fencing as a necklace. :laughing9:
Have a good one buddy,
Doug

CladMaster

Dec 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer SE
Nice coin miner. I've broken into the 1850's but I am still looking for my LC. Maybe soon...Thx for the post! It keeps me inspired.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Doug! I just got one yesterday and am stunned my it. Looks like real nice detail on yours. Hope that area has some more OLD stuff in it for ya. :thumbsup:

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Doug!!!! Welcome to the LC club and a nice readable date too. Nice other finds as well ... I hope this luck continues and maybe you can mark a few more off the old wishlist before year end! :hello2:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Doug! It is in good shape too. Dont't do what I did and try electrolysis on your large cent (mine was an 1802!). I became OVER cleaned and ruined any value. Live and learn. Good job.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CladMaster said:
Nice coin miner. I've broken into the 1850's but I am still looking for my LC. Maybe soon...Thx for the post! It keeps me inspired.

Thanks CM.
I've found two coins that were older than this one, but they were silver.
Keep at it buddy. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Nate in Ohio said:
Congrats Doug! I just got one yesterday and am stunned my it. Looks like real nice detail on yours. Hope that area has some more OLD stuff in it for ya. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nate. :thumbsup:
Congrats buddy. You and your Dad probably have a wooden chest full of these by now. :wink: ;D
I'm hoping for another one, but will settle for silver too. :tongue3: :thumbsup:
-Doug-

JimBeHuntin' said:
Congratulations Doug!!!! Welcome to the LC club and a nice readable date too. Nice other finds as well ... I hope this luck continues and maybe you can mark a few more off the old wishlist before year end! :hello2:

Thanks Jim.
Something seated would be nice, since those are on my list too. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
YES! YES!! YES!!! :headbang: :headbang: The Dug Man from NC did it! :headbang: :notworthy: That large cent is sweet, Dug, and I know you'll cherish it until you find your next...and then next...and then next...and until you have too many to even count!!! :headbang:

I hope you find two or three more there! I know you'll nail a site like that and I'm putting my money on this current one! :hello2:

Sir Kyle

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, are you the "Good boy" that token was intended for :laughing7: Nice finds, Buddy. You scored big on the LC..........................and your first. You dug some cool relics as well. Love the old key too. I'd be hammering that place for days. With goodies like that it can only mean one thing. There's more

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting that elusive first LC. You were the Susan Lucci of treasure hunters! We all knew you'd put pulling a LC up sooner or later. Now that you've broken the LC slump, you'll probably post three more before Christmas. WTG Doug!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Doug, on that first LC. :icon_thumleft: Sweet ring and key, too. Lots of cool relics as usual. :hello2: Good luck gridding that place and no more whining. :)

HH

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Congratulations Doug, and man do I know the feeling!

Me and a friend started hunting a 10 acre area, and in the course of the 20-30 times we hunted it, he got 15-20 LC's, not to mention about 70-80 other 1850 and earlier coins, and the entire time I finally wound up with 4 good ones, but they were a VA Half, a 1 reale, a 2 cent, and a KG3. Same machine, same settings, same coil, and he didn't even use headphones. Still gets me to this day!

I'm still waiting on my first as well. Congrats on a super goal!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOOOORAY! a H....U...G...E! CONGRATS! I cleaned my first Large Cent (1847) I boiled a plastic container of Hydrogen Peroxide in the microwave. Plop the coin in for about 10 minutes or so (varies) and wiped her clean with Q-tips. My coin looked 100% better when I was finished. Use your own discretion, but thats what I did and it worked wonders. Once again, CONGRATS! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread