Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, a lot of you know I've been whining like a little school girl for years now trying to find a large cent, which some of you dig up on a regular basis. Well today was my day and I can FINALLY say I'm a member of the Large Cent Club (LCC).
Yaba-daba-doooo!!!! :icon_thumleft:
Bubba and I detected at the 1850's house I recently gained permission to detect. Up to now, my best find here was two somewhat rare CW bullets a few weeks back. To keep from wasting my time digging crappe' today, I set my Silver Umax discrimination high so I could concentrate on digging coins. After digging up only modern clad at up to 8" deep in the yard, I decided to head to the upper horse pasture which was half way between the house and an 1800's church down the road a bit.
The grass was about 3" tall and it was like the sound of silence out there until I got a good signal. I dug my plug, and at about 5" deep I saw a beautiful round coin in the hole. Was this it???? Could it be???? Yes, it was!!!! The elusive large cent that has been avoiding me for almost three years now. :hello2: It turned out to be an 1850 LC. A common date, but I still love her. :love4: I ran to get my video camera from my truck, and prayed the horses wouldn't eat my equipment or my LC. ;D I got back to the spot to film and my camera batteries were dead! :'( %@&# it!!!
Oh well. :dontknow: Needless to say, I will be gridding off that huge pasture now. :wink:

I know an LC is nothing for some of you guys & gals to find, but to me this experience was as fun as digging my NC buckle. :thumbsup: It's a great feeling that I will always remember.
What's funny is I dug a "The Royal" suits merit token today too, and remembered digging one a few years ago. Here is that post from 2007:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,127272.0.html
If you notice, I was whining even in that post about wanting to find an LC. ;D

Kyle-
I know it's not Colonial, but I want to say "thanks" for your support over the years and helping me "keep the passion high" on my quest for this elusive coin.
Now I need you support on finding a 1700's coin or a large silver in 2010. :icon_thumleft: ;D

O.K., on with the rest of the finds.........

*1850 Large Cent :occasion14: - How can I clean this coin up a bit to see more detail???

*The Royal Suit merit token

*Gold diamond & saphire ring- The heart stopper! :o Turned out to be gold plated. :'( :'( :'(

*Beautiful old key - Any idea of the age? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

*Bird band - Any ideas on this one? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*Possible button :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*"Big Winston" work clothes button (Bubba's find)

Thanks for looking folks and once again, "YA-HOOOOOOOOO" :headbang:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-097S.JPG
    MVC-097S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 6
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jorge del norte said:
Nice LC Doug.......a few piedmont people have gotten them as of late.
I just need to get out and hunt.....this year has been busy for me, just not MD busy.

geo

Thanks Geo.
I was just over there again tonight after work gridding more of that pasture off. I have 90 minutes of detecting time by the time I get there until it gets dark. ;D
I hope yours comes soon. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

myfantasia1 said:
I don't know why that key looks like it should belong to an old prison door. ??? :dontknow:

Well ya know we are near Mayberry here, so maybe Otis dropped it on his way from the bar back to jail. :dontknow: :tongue3: :laughing9:
Neat key whatever it is. I actually dug it at the base of the steps of what was once used as a doctors office on this 1800's property. Perhaps it was for a medicine cabinet or the office door?
-MM-

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Modern and welcome to the LC club - very nice coin indeed and the other finds as well - I have one I need cleaning help with as well.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,I know how ya feel I dug my first one this past summer while on vacation in Cape Cod. Congrats and I hope we both get a gold coin this year!

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC, Congrats on your find!! RCH.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC :occasion14: Now that's out of the way.....what's next :dontknow:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the LC :occasion14: Now that's out of the way.....what's next :dontknow:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Congrats Doug :occasion14:

Nice looking Lady, Well deserved and a long time coming :hello2:
you mention CLEANING. I have given up cleaning any coppers, too much heartbreak.
I leave it up to my heirs now. Best wishes & HH to ya! herbie

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find it took me a while to find my first one which was 1818! Now they pop up all the time. HH

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice,thanks for sharing!!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find bro! This is one coin that I really want as well! HH

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key looks like a padlock key, 1870's-1940's ish from what I have seen. rail road locks used keys like that. and some even still do. Many of the current RxR keys are now cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread